The Student Room Group

How long before a holiday do you pack?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
A week before.

<3 x
I iron it all and pack it hours before unless its a very early flight then I'll do it the night before.
Reply 22
I always take an early flight, so I pack the night before.
How is it possible to pack four or five day in advance or even a week!!! I can't imagine that! Most of the things I take with me on a trip is things I use every day or my favorite jeans and tops.
Original post by Clare~Bear
Yeah if I'm only going away for a couple of days (especially if it's to another part of britain) I pack the day, maybe two days before.

But I'm going somewhere that's about 4500 miles away, that hasn't got any big shops nearby.

well since you're goin far away u should plan out all the clothes you want to carry, dont pack them just yet leave that to the night before or whatever but in the coming days if you are gonna be plannin on wearing something that you already planned on taking with you on your trip decide first whether you would be able to get it cleaned and ready to be packed before you leave. this way on the day before you leave since you already know what you plan on taking, packing becomes way quicker.
Reply 24
I'm really weird I've starting packing for my holidays 3 weeks away! Just got new yellow suitcases (I'm a luggage freak :biggrin:) so have started to organise my clothes. I like to get my clothes separated into outfits so I don't bring too much weight with me. I strangely love packing, it gets me all excited for the holiday! If I'm heading somewhere in the UK though I'll just pack the day before. :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 25
Original post by B104
I'm really weird I've starting packing for my holidays 3 weeks away! Just got new yellow suitcases (I'm a luggage freak :biggrin:) so have started to organise my clothes. I like to get my clothes separated into outfits so I don't bring too much weight with me. I strangely love packing, it gets me all excited for the holiday! If I'm heading somewhere in the UK though I'll just pack the day before. :smile:

I imagine a yellow case I good as it's easy to spot at luggare reclaim? ours are all black, so we painted a few spots onto them. It may look a bit cheap and tacky, but at least we can spot them. It kinda failed the first time though as we had only put spots on the biggest sides and the way it was placed on the track with others really close buy, we could barely see the sides with spots. So we painted the other sides after that.

I've put as many outfits together with as few clothes as possible. That way I can wear the same things more than once (unless they get stained) but with different tops/bottoms. if i have a shower before tea then I'll be clean when I wear my evening wear, so i can get away with those for a couple of nights. Plus during the day I won't have my t-shirt on much, so i can wear day time t-shirts a couple of times to.

Plus, I'm only taking 4 pairs of shoes! Each pair goes with at least 3 outfits. And every outfit has at least one pair of shoes that coordinate.
Reply 26
Original post by Clare~Bear
I imagine a yellow case I good as it's easy to spot at luggare reclaim? ours are all black, so we painted a few spots onto them. It may look a bit cheap and tacky, but at least we can spot them. It kinda failed the first time though as we had only put spots on the biggest sides and the way it was placed on the track with others really close buy, we could barely see the sides with spots. So we painted the other sides after that.

I've put as many outfits together with as few clothes as possible. That way I can wear the same things more than once (unless they get stained) but with different tops/bottoms. if i have a shower before tea then I'll be clean when I wear my evening wear, so i can get away with those for a couple of nights. Plus during the day I won't have my t-shirt on much, so i can wear day time t-shirts a couple of times to.

Plus, I'm only taking 4 pairs of shoes! Each pair goes with at least 3 outfits. And every outfit has at least one pair of shoes that coordinate.

Yeah that's what I thought. My old luggage was wrecked, wheels hanging off and I really wanted the new 4 wheel cases, so much handier in queues, especially at US immigration where you can be stuck for ages :smile: Got yellow ones in the Tripp sale in Debenhams they had lots of different brightly coloured ones which didn't look that cheap/tacky like some coloured ones can.
I do the same with combination outfits, so much easier for packing and you end up usually buying things there anyway to fill your case up :biggrin:

Reply 27
When I went travelling for a month round south east asia I packed the morning I set off for London.
I'm a morning befiore person and no matter how much stuff I forget I will continue to be one.
Reply 28
Original post by letsdothetimewarpagain
I've technically started packing for my trip away this summer which is in 2 weeks time but that's because my 65 litre rucksack is pretty much purely all equipment with my clothes going in my hand luggage so I'm getting all my equipment packed up early.

Where you headed this summer? :smile: i ordered myself a 65 litre rucksack too which arrived the other day havent yet started packing though and i also leave in about 2.5 weeks!
If it's just me I'd be packing the night before, but packing for a family holiday with hubby and 3 kids takes a lot longer. So I start a few weeks prior. Maybe 3 weeks or so. In bits I mean, so that it's all totally finished by maybe 2 days before leaving.
Reply 30
The night before, which involves staying up past midnight. Life at our house is hectic with organising workers before we go away, and with school still going, we fit it in at the last possible moment.
Reply 31
1-2 days before, i ususally put it off then panic
Reply 32
Last time I went to see my parents, I started packing about 2am... Taxi arrived at 5... I'm a last minute kinda person
Reply 33
I'm ridiculous, I pack on the day
I usually start packing a day or two before and finish the night before.

My mum is always the person running around shoving things in her suitcase 10 minutes before we have to leave ^_^
Reply 35
I write a list of what I need about a week before, just so I can check if I have everything and go out and buy it if not. I don't actually pack the case until the day before though, maybe a couple of days before if I have things to do on the actual day before. I don't do it any earlier in case I want something I've packed, though I might put what I'm planning to pack to one side in my room where it is easily accessible if I decide I want something from it and to make sure I definately do have everything.

Edit: I also do the thing with putting everything together in outfits, but just the day before rather than loads in advance.
(edited 11 years ago)
I have a general plan in my head about a week before, so I can look for things / buy stuff, but I rarely pack until the night before.
Original post by B104
I strangely love packing, it gets me all excited for the holiday!

Me too! :biggrin: I find it quite relaxing, unless my mum's packing at the same time then its a nightmare! :p:

I always pack the night before and but I plan what outfits I'm taking weeks in advance. :smile:
Sorry....that sounds insane. Won't the clothes stink when he finally wears them? Why on earth is his mum doing it for him- half the fun of travelling is packing your own things! Why can't he get his swimming things out himself, is he totally helpless?

The evening before if I leave first thing, because I hate the smell of clothes that have been in bags for ages.
Reply 39
Original post by chinaberry
Sorry....that sounds insane. Won't the clothes stink when he finally wears them? Why on earth is his mum doing it for him- half the fun of travelling is packing your own things! Why can't he get his swimming things out himself, is he totally helpless?

The evening before if I leave first thing, because I hate the smell of clothes that have been in bags for ages.

Don't they just smell the same as clothes that have been in a draw?

Quick Reply

Latest