Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Best way to quit?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'm working in a waitressing job right now, and most of the time it's pretty fun despite the crap wages.

Unfortunately I have a bit of a tit for a boss who called me up to yell at me after work last night because one of my tables didn't get the right food.

I've only worked there 3 weeks, and to be 100% honest need to stop working there next month (to be "unemployed" for a CDL). The phonecall last night was a bit of a final straw for me, I'd been thinking about leaving anyway...

What's the best way to leave without yelling "I quit!" in his face? Any advice / hints /tips?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Short and sweet, by letter, handed in person.

Don't forget to workout how much notice you need to give but also don't feel you have to justify why you're leaving.
    • 70 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ClaireyG)
    I'm working in a waitressing job right now, and most of the time it's pretty fun despite the crap wages.

Unfortunately I have a bit of a tit for a boss who called me up to yell at me after work last night because one of my tables didn't get the right food.

I've only worked there 3 weeks, and to be 100% honest need to stop working there next month (to be "unemployed" for a CDL). The phonecall last night was a bit of a final straw for me, I'd been thinking about leaving anyway...

What's the best way to leave without yelling "I quit!" in his face? Any advice / hints /tips?
    Write a letter of resignation and leave it on his desk or something where he won't be able to question you as he reads it. Don't mention it again - wait for him to ask you about it, and then say "Oh yeah, I'd like to move on blah blah".
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd do it in person, more polite I suppose - plus if you leave a note you'll still have to talk to him in person to work out notice, assuming you'll give any. It's so awkward quitting but remember you don't need to justify yourself - if he insists on knowing why you're leaving, you can just walk out
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:

This ^
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would say for you to try to sort the problem out, instead of running away from the job altogether.

Talk to your boss, tell him how you feel. You must realise how fortunate you are to have a job, quitting over your boss yelling at you (in my opinion) is a bit childish.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 8, 2012
New on TSR
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.