The Student Room Group

Nottingham vs Southampton for Mechanical Engineering

Poll

Nottingham vs Southampton

Hello people of TSR :biggrin:

Pretty much as the title says, I'm kind of struggling between which university to choose as one of my choices for Mechanical Engineering for my application for entry into 2013. I've heard great things about the Engineering departments of both and both have great links with industry, Southampton in particular with F1 but I dunno, really don't know about which one I should pick.

Was just wondering if there are people on here who go to either university, who study MechEng and could share what it's like, or people who have been to the open days or even engineers this year who have chosen either of these - basically what are the universities like and what made you choose them? :smile:

Thanks :smile: I've put in a poll as well on the thingy so could you vote as well :P
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Fuzzy12345
Hello people of TSR :biggrin:

Pretty much as the title says, I'm kind of struggling between which university to choose as one of my choices for Mechanical Engineering for my application for entry into 2013. I've heard great things about the Engineering departments of both and both have great links with industry, Southampton in particular with F1 but I dunno, really don't know about which one I should pick.

Was just wondering if there are people on here who go to either university, who study MechEng and could share what it's like, or people who have been to the open days or even engineers this year who have chosen either of these - basically what are the universities like and what made you choose them? :smile:

Thanks :smile: I've put in a poll as well on the thingy so could you vote as well :P

Firm Southamptonnnn :smile: Apart from Cambridge and Imperial, No other University is better for engineering
Reply 2
Original post by SJS101
Firm Southamptonnnn :smile: Apart from Cambridge and Imperial, No other University is better for engineering

Not firming it yet, I'm still a year 12 haha, I meant as one of my choices :biggrin: Out of interest, have you firmed Southampton for MechEng? :smile:
Reply 3
No firmed Southampton for Aero :smile:

Applied to Cambridge, Bristol, Durham, Southampton and Lougborough.

Got rejected by Cambridge and then out of the rest i decided to firm Soton. Bristol came close second but Southampton was better
Reply 4
Original post by SJS101
No firmed Southampton for Aero :smile:

Applied to Cambridge, Bristol, Durham, Southampton and Lougborough.

Got rejected by Cambridge and then out of the rest i decided to firm Soton. Bristol came close second but Southampton was better

Ah cool :biggrin: We have pretty similar choices haha :tongue: Hey, was just wondering, did you have any work experience which you wrote about in your PS cause I'm kind of struggling to find some and thinking it's gonna put me at a disadvantage :/
Reply 5
And bump :P
Reply 6
Original post by Fuzzy12345
Ah cool :biggrin: We have pretty similar choices haha :tongue: Hey, was just wondering, did you have any work experience which you wrote about in your PS cause I'm kind of struggling to find some and thinking it's gonna put me at a disadvantage :/

Yep I had lots of work experience

2 weeks at a top aeronautical engineering firm who design and make satellites for the EU Space programmes

4 weeks at a top civil engineering firm (2 weeks of which i returned in the summer holidays and got paid :P good pay too)

and I got straight A's at AS in Maths, Physics, Further Maths, Product Design and ICT
Well I would personally choose Nottingham! I'm going there this September to study Product Design and Manufacture Engineering (which shares the first year with the Mech Eng students) and I just love the university!

It's got a great Engineering department, with some really great lecturers who I got to chat to on open days and my interview day. The facilities are really great, and they have lots of links to industry and help you find placement years during your course if you want to do that.

The campus is also really great! Lots of green space, basically you're living in a park next to the city! There's lots going on in Nottingham, you'll never be bored and will have a great time if you decide to go there! It's a very diverse city, so if you have any special interests you'll be sure to find something for you!

That being said, I didn't look at Southampton so I can't compare it to Notts. But I must say, I don't regret my decision to head to Nottingham.

Also, I saw you mentioned about work experience.

I have:

1 week WISE General Engineering Headstart course at Salford University
1 week unpaid work experience with JCB
Currently doing 1 year paid work placement with Chemring (Year in Industry placement before uni).

Work experience is very important for a course like engineering! Even if you can just got one week by writing off to engineering companies in your area, it'll still be great experience and set you apart from the other applicants!

I would strongly recommend you try and get some work experience, maybe talk to your school to see if they can help you with it?

Also, if anyone's interested I applied to Nottingham, Loughborough, Liverpool, Newcastle and Stafford and got offers from all five.
Whilst I agree that work experience is important in general for Engineering, I wouldn't worry if you can get any.

I tried to obtain some but ultimately failed. Universities understand it's not always possible to get experience; but they like to know you've tried!

I'm off to Loughborough Uni to study Product Design Engineering next year having had offers from Cambridge, Nottingham, and Bath too. Make sure the course is right for you - it'll be at least 4 years of your life!

Good luck! PM me if you have any questions.
Reply 9
Original post by Fazackerberry
Whilst I agree that work experience is important in general for Engineering, I wouldn't worry if you can get any.

I tried to obtain some but ultimately failed. Universities understand it's not always possible to get experience; but they like to know you've tried!

I'm off to Loughborough Uni to study Product Design Engineering next year having had offers from Cambridge, Nottingham, and Bath too. Make sure the course is right for you - it'll be at least 4 years of your life!

Good luck! PM me if you have any questions.

You had an offer from Cambridge and your going to loughborough??? either your an idiot or lying
Original post by SJS101
You had an offer from Cambridge and your going to loughborough??? either your an idiot or lying

Yes, I did. Didn't like the theory heavy course or its very broad content or its heavy reluctance to allow a year out to work in industry. Hence I chose the course I loved, which was at Loughborough.

Four year MEng DIS that I'll have great excitement and interest in > Four year MEng I won't enjoy at all.
Original post by SJS101

Please refrain from trying to suggest that other people are idiots when you still haven't mastered basic English that one typically does at age 6. :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Smack
Please refrain from trying to suggest that other people are idiots when you still haven't mastered basic English that one typically does at age 6. :smile:

My apologies for not typing in correct standard english on a FORUM, you sarcastic sod!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending