Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Most clutch player in a penalty situation?

Announcements Posted on
One quick question - from of our list, who would you most like to see on TSR doing a Q&A? 23-09-2014
Complete this short survey for a chance to win an iPad mini! 22-09-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    lampard

the guy has only missed about 4 penalties out of more than 30 penalties
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Brad Guzan whenever he was in goal for us (Villa) was always so good when it came to saving penalties.
    We beat Juventus in the final of the peace-up (pre-season) on penalties, with Guzan saving penalties from Del Piero and Iaquinta. We got through to the semi-final of the Carling Cup in 2010 after beating Sunderland on penalties, with Guzan saving 3 Sunderland penalties, and on-top of those he also saved a Kenwyne Jones penalty during normal time which may of won the game for Sunderland before extra-time.
    I also remember him saving a penalty in injury time in an FA Cup game against Bristol Rovers, a game we then went on to win.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I forgot this guy, although he is German so it's not suprising:

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Balotelli is V. good at penalties and whatever you say/think about him he won't let pressure get to him. I saw an interview with him where he said he never missed a penalty in a professional match.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Definitely not rooney :'( hahahah ****er
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well Balotelli supposedly puts 99/100 past Joe Hart in training, so it's hard to overlook him.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    no-one's mentioned Tom Henning Ovrebo :thumbsup: (wounds finally healed)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Has Balotelli missed one yet?
    • 26 followers

ReputationRep:
    No-one mentioned Cantona? :holmes:
    • 40 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manchester United)
    This is the biggest myth.

He's missed every important penalty he's ever had to take at club level:

West Ham
    Barca
    Chelsea
    Bayern

(Original post by RP-MRU.)
    This fascination that Germans are somehow genetically superior at penalties is horse****.
    Genetically superior, obviously not true, however high pressure penalties are more about your mentality. The Germans go into them believing, almost knowing they've won already. English players go into them thinking they've lost.

I'd like to mention Owen Hargreaves as one of the best high pressure penalty takers.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Ashley Cole can score some pretty high pressure ones. Schweinstegers miss was a one off.

Even though I'm a Chelsea fan; I've never thought Mata's have been that good-he's pretty predictable tbh
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    This is the biggest myth.

He's missed every important penalty he's ever had to take at club level:

West Ham
    Barca
    Chelsea
    Bayern

Genetically superior, obviously not true, however high pressure penalties are more about your mentality. The Germans go into them believing, almost knowing they've won already. English players go into them thinking they've lost.

I'd like to mention Owen Hargreaves as one of the best high pressure penalty takers.
    Scoring one penalty in a World Cup quarter final makes you 'one of the best high pressure penalty takers'?
    • 40 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RP-MRU.)
    Scoring one penalty in a World Cup quarter final makes you 'one of the best high pressure penalty takers'?
    And a Champion's League final. And a Euro quarter final.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hdr95)
    Petr Cech - Dived the right way in every single penalty in the champions league final and saved 3 was it?
    2-3 in the whole game and yes this is what I would say for this very reason.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 17, 2012
New on TSR

TSR Freshers' blogs 2014

Read what TSR's freshers have to say as they head off to uni

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered football threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.