The Student Room Group

Don't suppose anyone's studying Hamlet and The Revenger's Tragedy for A2 English Lit?

I was just wondering if anyone knew where I could find any model answers to questions, or if anyone had any essays they did particularly well on? :smile: Struggling to get my head round how to fit in all the assessment objectives (context, linguistic analysis, critical opinions... etc) given the time limit, and still create a coherent essay; just think it'd help to see a couple of examples! (I realise this is a long shot, but it can't hurt to ask :tongue:)
Reply 1
Bump?
Reply 2
Hi sorry this is so late, only just saw this thread!
But here are some WJEC past papers + Mark schemes for the exam. The pdfs are free so they're pretty helpful! = )
https://www.wjec.co.uk/index.php?nav=shop&search=1&langID=1&keyword&subjectID=53&levelID=21&seasonID&lang&groupID=3
Reply 3
Original post by choco12323
Hi sorry this is so late, only just saw this thread!
But here are some WJEC past papers + Mark schemes for the exam. The pdfs are free so they're pretty helpful! = )
https://www.wjec.co.uk/index.php?nav=shop&search=1&langID=1&keyword&subjectID=53&levelID=21&seasonID&lang&groupID=3

Ah thank you! :biggrin:
Reply 4
I did Hamlet and RT in the Janurary paper for WJEC and got an A so if you have any questions feel free to ask. :smile:

For revision, I'd suggest learning each of Hamlet's soliloquies and picking out three or four quotes that you can use for each one. Each soliloquy covers most of your learning objectives, for my revision, I made mind-maps of each soliloquy and learnt the content by heart.

I wouldn't advise you spend much time on RT, as you only can achieve five marks for using it. I referenced the text only twice in the exam and still achieved an A. (Incidentally, I only used the 'unseen poem' once in the poetry section and again came away with an A.)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by R3cognize
I did Hamlet and RT in the Janurary paper for WJEC and got an A so if you have any questions feel free to ask. :smile:

For revision, I'd suggest learning each of Hamlet's soliloquies and picking out three or four quotes that you can use for each one. Each soliloquy covers most of your learning objectives, for my revision, I made mind-maps of each soliloquy and learnt the content by heart.

I wouldn't advise you spend much time on RT, as you only can achieve five marks for using it. I referenced the text only twice in the exam and still achieved an A. (Incidentally, I only used the 'unseen poem' once in the poetry section and again came away with an A.)

Thank you, the exam's tomorrow so I'm just trying to pick out key quotes at the moment from the parts of Hamlet I haven't looked at in a much depth. I didn't realise it was only 5 marks, I'll make sure I don't include too much then! How much contextual information did you include?
Reply 6
Original post by 11flon
Thank you, the exam's tomorrow so I'm just trying to pick out key quotes at the moment from the parts of Hamlet I haven't looked at in a much depth. I didn't realise it was only 5 marks, I'll make sure I don't include too much then! How much contextual information did you include?

Ah didn't realise it was so soon! Yeah, A03 is made up out of 10 marks - 5 for RT and critics respectively.

Contextual information? Erm, I included the use of the panopticon (a prision where prisoners were watched and examined constantly) and I used the British hierachy and related it to Hamlet's first soliloquy where he uses the quote "unweeded garden" (or something) as Shakespeare perhaps foreshadows a sense of conflict if Claudius plays "god". I apologise, though, it was a while ago since I took the exam. :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Ah didn't realise it was so soon! Yeah, A03 is made up out of 10 marks - 5 for RT and critics respectively.

Contextual information? Erm, I included the use of the panopticon (a prision where prisoners were watched and examined constantly) and I used the British hierachy and related it to Hamlet's first soliloquy where he uses the quote "unweeded garden" (or something) as Shakespeare perhaps foreshadows a sense of conflict if Claudius plays "god". I apologise, though, it was a while ago since I took the exam. :tongue:

Ah the panopticon sounds like an interesting thing to include, how did you link it to Hamlet though? :P No worries, you've been very helpful!
Reply 8
Original post by 11flon
Ah the panopticon sounds like an interesting thing to include, how did you link it to Hamlet though? :P No worries, you've been very helpful!

I've just dug out some of my old notes, hopefully they will give you some ideas.

"The play was conducted in 'The Globe' - therefore there were no restrictions, 'Hamlet' could just be an extended metaphor employed by Shakespeare to challenge morality."

"Hamlet slates himself for 'thinking too precisely' - the quote could explain his reason for stating 'Denmark's a prision' - he's confinded by his own morality and cultural assumptions. The 'prision', others may argue, is internal - it's a metaphor to explain his emotional and physical state. The panopticon is relevant here as prisioners were constantly assessed - this is also the case with Hamlet as Rosencrantz and Guildernstern assessed his behaviour."

Notice how in both of those examples, elements from A01, A02, A03 AND A04 were used. Of course, these are just examples and you can most definitely elaborate from them. Hope this helps.
Reply 9

I've just dug out some of my old notes, hopefully they will give you some ideas.

"The play was conducted in 'The Globe' - therefore there were no restrictions, 'Hamlet' could just be an extended metaphor employed by Shakespeare to challenge morality."

"Hamlet slates himself for 'thinking too precisely' - the quote could explain his reason for stating 'Denmark's a prision' - he's confinded by his own morality and cultural assumptions. The 'prision', others may argue, is internal - it's a metaphor to explain his emotional and physical state. The panopticon is relevant here as prisioners were constantly assessed - this is also the case with Hamlet as Rosencrantz and Guildernstern assessed his behaviour."

Notice how in both of those examples, elements from A01, A02, A03 AND A04 were used. Of course, these are just examples and you can most definitely elaborate from them. Hope this helps.

You're quite possibly my new favourite person :tongue: Thanks for that! Yeah I think I understand how to do it now, it's just remembering the quotes and sticking to the time limit that'll be difficult, anyway I best get back to learning quotations...
Original post by 11flon
You're quite possibly my new favourite person :tongue: Thanks for that! Yeah I think I understand how to do it now, it's just remembering the quotes and sticking to the time limit that'll be difficult, anyway I best get back to learning quotations...

No worries. :smile: If you only remember a handful of quotes, make sure the majority are from his third soliloquy as it's obviously the most famous. :smile: Good luck!

Hi! I am
glad I found you. I really am struggling with knowing how to revise for this exam. I can't seem to remember the quotes. Can you give me any tips on remembering quotes for both the hamlet/TRT and poetry? Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending