The Student Room Group

Changing from "Dependent" to "Independent Student"

Ok so I have sent off my student application a while back (doing Law), and was only getting £4988 for London and I was like "this sucks" so I looked further and saw I could change to independent status (working for 3 years above £7500) gets me £9300 (loan and grant) so "woohoo" I thought so called them up, they advised me what to do.

So I gathered up my P60s and copied them, cover note, blah blah and then sent it off last week. However as of yet I still havent heard of anything. I want my money that I'm entitled to.

So I called them and I was like "wa gwan with my application??" and they said to call back next week my question is THIS:

Has anyone else been in the same situation as me? Did they change you over in time for the first day of term? I want my money. Like I'll probably be working part time too so I'm looking at chilling on around £18k as a student as I'll probably get a bursary too (maybe) but I want my money first (I've said that three times now I wont say it again)

But yeah, if anybody knows the answer to this that'll be much appreciated cos I really want my-- ONLY JOKING!!

Thank youuuu

P.S I didn't really call them up and say "wa gwan". That was a joke. :colondollar:
Reply 1
If you're entitled to it, you should get it. Now, should and will are completely different matters when SF are concerned. You *should* have it in time for the start of your course, but there is always a possibility it may not be. There's plenty enough time so you can live in hope.
Reply 2
I'm in exactly the same position, sent off all p60s etc 2 weeks ago but haven't heard yet!
Worried that it won't all be sorted in time for when I start!
I'll let u know when mines sorted,

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 3
Original post by Dezz21
I'm in exactly the same position, sent off all p60s etc 2 weeks ago but haven't heard yet!
Worried that it won't all be sorted in time for when I start!
I'll let u know when mines sorted,

Thank you. Tbh I can understand them being a delay because of the amount of evidence probably being sent in by other students, as well as the "long weekend" we just had. I'll let you know if I miraculously (<--spelt right? :s-smilie:) get mine sorted before you
Reply 4
Original post by Illuminated_A
Thank you. Tbh I can understand them being a delay because of the amount of evidence probably being sent in by other students, as well as the "long weekend" we just had. I'll let you know if I miraculously (<--spelt right? :s-smilie:) get mine sorted before you

Ok thank you :smile:

Reply 5
Well as far as it goes student finance lost all my p60s etc! Great so need to do it all over again

Reply 6
Original post by Dezz21
Well as far as it goes student finance lost all my p60s etc! Great so need to do it all over again

They're an absolute joke. Makes you think that they "lose it" on purpose so they don't have to pay the extra £££. :angry::angry::angry:
Check in with them on Twitter, yesterday they said they they were working on post received up until 23rd May and other applications from 30th May.

That said, I made my application online on Saturday and it's already been assessed and updated online with payment schedule etc! I haven't even got an offer yet (last minute applications).
Reply 8
Just called them, it seems they have recieved my documents, and they say it SHOULD be assessed by July 9th. So all I can do now is wait............
Reply 9
All sorted. £9300 for the year. shhhaaaaaaaa
Reply 10
Hello all I need help, as I'm going into my first year alongside my brother my parents simple cannot afford it they sent me 300 for my foundation year but can't afford two people. What do I have to do to get idenpendent status
Reply 11
Original post by huntom
Hello all I need help, as I'm going into my first year alongside my brother my parents simple cannot afford it they sent me 300 for my foundation year but can't afford two people. What do I have to do to get idenpendent status

Work for 3 years earning above £7500 for each of those years or,
Be over 25 years of age or,
Estranged from parents or,
parents are dead.

If you're doing a foundation year I'm not sure if you get the same funding (if any) as a standard undergraduate student. Best to check on the student finance website though

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending