Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If it turns out God exists will he punish un-believers?

Announcements Posted on
Complete this short survey for a chance to win an iPad mini! 22-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes
    No
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    No
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I dont think so. If someone behaves morally, but does not believe in god, there should be no reason to punish them for it.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well, he said that if you don't get salvation through Jesus (and baptism) then you won't be saved. I suppose it's all up to him on the judgement day though!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well he would else he wouldn't be benevolent... but religious arguments always go and contradict each other.

In Islam, apparently there's a thing where if you kiss the black stone on the corner of the Kabah, all your sins are forgiven. So I could go and sin and be agnostic as much as I like, and just before I die I could insure myself by going to Makkah and kissing that stone... stipulations like this just ruin the point of religion, it's well stupid. But then I've been in the Mosque and walked round the Kabah a total of 21 times, every time there's a huge crowd round the stone just trying to touch it, it's manic, well hard to go and get even a touch never mind a kiss...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    How the hell am I supposed to know.
    We ARE talking about God here. If he really exhisted I would be pretty pissed off with him, rather than worrying about being punished. Why has'nt he shown himself to us if he does exhist?
    Would he have the right to punish us just because he did a crappy job of converting us to that perticular religion. Personaly I think that he would not punish us, since if he really did exhist and give us instructions to follow his religion or be punished, then where would the free will be?

The answer is that if he punished the non-believers he would be undermining his exhistance, robbing us of our free will.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If there is a god, if it is interested in us at all, then going by the things it's done we'll probably all get done anyway, not as punishment but because of the way it is.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't think God would punish non-believers, simply because you cannot force yourself to believe in something. You could go to Church and generally practice a particular faith, but there's no point unless you actually have faith.
    I also think it's wrong to believe in something just because you're afraid of the consequences of not believing in something, i.e. Have faith in Christianity so you won't go to Hell.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Good point weejee dude. Things are so complicated with religious stuff that its likly we've all got it wrong (assuming there's a God), and that none of us get punished (or all of us do).
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    God as in which religion? And why only one God? Ehy not an infinite amount of gods? There might be a God of UKL about.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkMoon)
    How the hell am I supposed to know.
    We ARE talking about God here. If he really exhisted I would be pretty pissed off with him, rather than worrying about being punished. Why has'nt he shown himself to us if he does exhist?
    The answer is that if he punished the non-believers he would be undermining his exhistance, robbing us of our free will.
    I would argue those two parts of what you said seem inconsistent. For instance, the whole idea that God doesn't 'prove' he exists is based on the theory that salvation can only come through faith. You seem to be saying he should do this....does this not undermine our free will to make a choice about our religious viewpoints?

On your 2nd point - It is argued by many religious believers that everybody actually has a choice to believe in God - to let there free will see that God exists, and that would make it justified in punishing the non-believers.

My own person view is that in order for God to be a just God, he must give reward out based on a persons life (i.e moral standards etc etc) rather than belief. Therefore, God will not punish non-believers because no matter our beliefs...we must follow our own consicious as our primary source
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You should all play safe and believe in him.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    You should all play safe and believe in him.
    That completly defeat the object of belief, should be rewarded for belief because we sought the benefit from it? Because we don't actually have the belief religion advocates.

What happens if we pick the wrong God also? Could pick Allah when it's the Christian God!

You cannot force yourself to believe something if you think it will be beneficial. For instance, there is no way you can believe tommorrow (knowing today is Friday) will be a Tuesday, it goes against something basic within you - just like people feel they cannot believe in God cannot just 'believe' in him.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    That completly defeat the object of belief, should be rewarded for belief because we sought the benefit from it? Because we don't actually have the belief religion advocates.

What happens if we pick the wrong God also? Could pick Allah when it's the Christian God!

You cannot force yourself to believe something if you think it will be beneficial. For instance, there is no way you can believe tommorrow (knowing today is Friday) will be a Tuesday, it goes against something basic within you - just like people feel they cannot believe in God cannot just 'believe' in him.
    I have to agree with you, believing for the sake of reward or because you think you have to beleive, just does'nt cut it.
    I don't think non-believer's would be punnished as long as they're not out there committing one wrong after another. I honestly believe it is what you do in this life that matters not what you believe.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I still don't believe in god but lets just say there is if he didnt save good people who don't believe then he would be an sob
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MuniE)
    I still don't believe in god but lets just say there is if he didnt save good people who don't believe then he would be an sob
    Totally agree.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    My bible says that the only sin that will send you to hell is not beilieving in God and accepting Jesus as your personal savior.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moncal)
    My bible says that the only sin that will send you to hell is not beilieving in God and accepting Jesus as your personal savior.
    Your bible is full of ****.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i think if there is a god he should accept that people can believe what they want to believe. if they dont believe in him then he probly wudnt punish people for it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aaarrrggh)
    Your bible is full of ****.
    and you suposedly know that because you're knowledgable about it? :rolleyes:
Updated: April 12, 2004
New on TSR

'Stalking pages' have changed!

Find other uni applicants with University Connect

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.