The Student Room Group

why are so many black people underachieving

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
Maybe a lack of positive role-models/black people in academe, who once were from the same sort of background and went through the same sort of stuff as the majority?
- i'm black myself.. it's kind of how i feel :frown: *weeps**
Reply 261
because walking around in training suits , chewing gum and talkimg crap like " whos your momma" all day wont give anyone a decent job
Reply 262
Lol
Reply 263
The black Americans had a scheme in the 80's were black professors and other smart black people would come to the UK and have conferences do talks form links

The reason it was stopped was due to the British government police would also be swarming around looking for any season to stop the black americans
Original post by The Marshall
In the past they would never acknowledged us. Here in Britain you refer as '' third world peasants.'' So I think itsperfectly fine to say '' white.''

I refer to what as "third world peasants"?? Also I was talking about your stereotyping not your use of the world white..
Original post by Pappillon
I refer to what as "third world peasants"?? Also I was talking about your stereotyping not your use of the world white..

Majority of British people use that.
Original post by ednut
why is it that there very few black people in higher education in london, ive been to quite a few open days to universitys and was surprised to see a few or even no black people in these institutions even in the jobs market you wont see many black people working in shops either, while if you were to go to the likes of brixton and lougborough you'll see pockets of the black community where they would stick together.
im not a racist as i am a black man myself, also unemployed.
discuss.......

Let me tell you a story

Let's say you could not swim. We and few friends get in a boat and throw you over and you drowned and died

And then we said

“He died because he was too lazy to take the time to learn how how to swim.” (He died because he was LAZY)

The other guy said: “He died because he was not intelligent enough to take any swimming classes.” (He died because he was UNEDUCATED)

But the real answer is that you died because you was pushed.

Any other answer is dealing only with secondary circumstances. YES, knowing how to swim might have been a solution to you dilemma, once you was in the water, but NOT knowing how to swim was not the CAUSE of his dilemma. The CAUSE was the callous treachery of those who set upon him.

Same thing with Black people in the UK yes, becoming doctors, dentists and accountants would help matters. Yes, having intact families would be a huge plus! Yes, avoiding teenage pregnancy would be very good too. BUT those are not the primary CAUSES of our dilemma here in the UK.

The CAUSE is

Slavery
Forbidding an education
Then under-education
Refusing to hire us
Portraying us as buffoons or criminals in the media

Etc. etc. Those are the CAUSES.

Overcoming these historic wrongs with education, family restoration, therapy, rebuilding of self image, rebuilding of community image… etc may be the SOLUTION, but the failure to do so will never be the cause.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by TheLastOfUs
It's a genetic thing. Blacks underachieve in every developed country in the world, so it's definitely not only environmental. It's clear intelligence is massively inherited. So there is no reason why blacks as a group would not inherit lower intelligence due to the already established lower intelligences of their parents.

This is absolute ignorance to the highest degree. The fact you even reached this conclusion has phased me
Original post by Pyramidologist
Their IQ's are low, around 86.

(Lynn, 2006)

Adverse environmental conditions only raise the Negroid IQ, around 13 IQ points. Still far under Caucasoid and Mongoloid IQ.

If you are trying to ground IQ as a genetic product of race. The very first thing you need to do is offer up a genetic definition of race

I always invite IQ fanatics to give such a definition, mainly because their fumbling attempts to define race point out just how ridiculous and subjective such definitions are.

It's not enough to say "Look the racial IQ tests. Blacks are not very smart. Now prove me wrong !!!"

Whenever you say “Black People” you are not talking about one genetic race. You are talking about several diverse races.

So, between the bushmen of Kenya and Bantu of the Congo, you can find more genetic variation that you can find between say a Chinese man and a Frenchmen, than say a German and an Italian, than say a Dane and an Icelandic.

At the genetic level, there is shockingly little difference between people from different parts of the world. There is less genetic variation among humans than you would find even in a small troupe of chimps.

For nearly 200 years scientists who took their ideas from racism have been on the losing side from polygenism to craniometry to parallel evolution to the evolution of hominid intelligence outside of Africa. Statistics can only give us data, before we draw any inference from these data we need to be sure all the factors contributing to what we are collecting data on has been taken into account.

If you’re saying that physical features determine race which exactly are those features ? Applying circular logic, the answer would be “the features group members share based on their region of origin”.

And then again, what are those features ?

The African genetic diversity dilemma is inescapable kryptonite to pseudo-intelletual theories. If genetics was truly the driver of things like intelligence, leadership, and superior replication value then, from a genetic standpoint, you should be seeing the greatest differences between African peoples, since there is greater genetic variation between them than anyone else.

Is this the case ? If not, you need to look beyond genetics to culture and environment.

You try to hijack science in the same way that people try to hijack religion to promote their agenda. The problem is : Unlike in religion, science is far less open to interpretation. Which is why you so often fail.

And NO, it’s not because we are all basically the same

Quite the contrary

It’s because humans are genetically very diverse. So diverse that there would be many “biological races”, if you really want to define them. And when I say many, I mean thousands of them, certainly not 5-6 (or whatever) as we have today.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 269
Original post by Chellecharity
This is absolute ignorance to the highest degree. The fact you even reached this conclusion has phased me

Completely agree (and I'm white).

Thank God somebody said that.
Hummm my great grandfather was a Yemenite , my great grandmother a African , my father a African all three had PHDs . My great unreal was the first president of my country after the Portuguese where expelled.

My Italian White grandfather immigrated to Argentina , was a farmer and horse breeder married my grand mother a black / mullato Latina she was a nurse .

My my great great great ....ancestors on my Italian grandfathers side who are direct descendants where minor nobility .

My white European side had no academic achievement to rival my black African side and my family are very well educated people highly intelligent so I don't think race has anything to do with intelligence .
Original post by Blob2491
That's absolute rubbish and stereotyping similar to saying Asians have higher IQ's. I know loads of smart and dumb blacks and Asians, and out of these people, the blacks are generally the higher achievers.

Absolutely nonsence

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending