The Student Room Group

why are so many black people underachieving

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by Blob2491
Most can come to the conclusion that IQ tests don't mean anything

Well they obviously mean something, but anyway that's an entirely different matter. IQ tests measure IQ. By definition. Whether you think IQ is relevant or not "in the real world" is beside the point. It remains that different "races" on average achieve differently in IQ tests, regardless of their circumstances or upbringing. That's all.

Do you expect me to sample the whole black and Asian community in my area?

No, other people have done similar things already.

I'm only basing this on personal experience

That's rarely a very good way to get a true picture of things.
Pretty sure that a disproportionate amount of black people subscribe to chav/ghetto/what-have-you culture, and that culture is responsible for the low achievement.

The matter of race in this instance is correlative, not causative.
Original post by NB_ide
Well they obviously mean something, but anyway that's an entirely different matter. IQ tests measure IQ. By definition. Whether you think IQ is relevant or not "in the real world" is beside the point. It remains that different "races" on average achieve differently in IQ tests, regardless of their circumstances or upbringing. That's all.

No, other people have done similar things already.

That's rarely a very good way to get a true picture of things.

How can you say that the results achieved have nothing to do with their circumstances or upbringing. Of course, those that have received better education will be better prepared to take the test

I'm only stating an example that I've had experience with, I can't add to what has already been said
Original post by ednut
why is it that there very few black people in higher education in london, ive been to quite a few open days to universitys and was surprised to see a few or even no black people in these institutions even in the jobs market you wont see many black people working in shops either, while if you were to go to the likes of brixton and lougborough you'll see pockets of the black community where they would stick together.
im not a racist as i am a black man myself, also unemployed.

discuss.......

Why are so few trolls creative?
Reply 124
Original post by Illuminated_A
I strongly contradict this OPINION. Inheritence is NOT inherited, you either work hard or you don't. Everybody has their place in life, a result of whether you work hard or not. We all come from the family if you go back far enough.

i totally agree with you. whoever thinks intelligence is inherited is stupid.
Original post by Raj K
i totally agree with you. whoever thinks intelligence is inherited is stupid.

Pretty sure that family background has quite a lot to do with academic attainment and life prospects, though. Well educated parents encourage children to read, motivate parents motivate their children, et cetera.
Reply 126
How can you say that the results achieved have nothing to do with their circumstances or upbringing. Of course, those that have received better education will be better prepared to take the test

Because when you control for those external factors, there are still IQ differences.

People vary, in their bodies and brains alike.
Original post by NB_ide
Because when you control for those external factors, there are still IQ differences.

Obviously, I'm not saying we are all alike and quality of life separates us so vastly but it does have a huge influence
Original post by NB_ide

Pretty sure that 'nurture' differences are of greater significance than 'nature' differences, ultimately. However superior a man may be, genetically, if he is brought up in a slum, with the accompanying attitudes and culture, one doubts that he'd get very far.
Reply 129
Original post by thelastofus
it's a genetic thing. Blacks underachieve in every developed country in the world, so it's definitely not only environmental. It's clear intelligence is massively inherited. So there is no reason why blacks as a group would not inherit lower intelligence due to the already established lower intelligences of their parents.

are you stupid? You're trying to say there arent any black people who are successful in the world? How the hell is it genetic? In others words you're saying they're inferior. Racist.
because white people are racist...simple

quote:

until white people exist there will always be racism....
Original post by umarrehman187
because white people are racist...simple

quote:

until white people exist there will always be racism....

Pretty sure you don't mean "until white people exist"

More to the point, that's bollochs.
Original post by whyumadtho
On average. Individuals are not averages, and individuals can privately ameliorate their intelligence if they so choose. You'll also do well to avoid conflating correlation and causation.

I agree with you here. My post was very defectively worded - I don't always write so imprecisely... at least I hope not! o.O

But, with regards your first point; if a piece of research is comparing equal percentages of different races, from an equal variety of socio-economic backgrounds, wouldn't those results show the willingness/ability to choose to develop their intelligence? If we were able to distinguish willingness and ability, and it showed that a race had less ability to 'privately ameliorate their intelligence', couldn't that indicate a lower natural intelligence?
Original post by Caecilius
Pretty sure you don't mean "until white people exist"

More to the point, that's bollochs.

like Muhammad ali said white people are the devil..... its true plus if you compare the most racist race in the world its the white people..im just stating facts i do not have anything agianst white people tho
That's absolute rubbish and stereotyping similar to saying Asians have higher IQ's. I know loads of smart and dumb blacks and Asians, and out of these people, the blacks are generally the higher achievers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anecdotal_evidence
Reply 135
Original post by Caecilius
Pretty sure that 'nurture' differences are of greater significance than 'nature' differences, ultimately.

Difficult to quantify, I guess.

However superior a man may be, genetically, if he is brought up in a slum, with the accompanying attitudes and culture, one doubts that he'd get very far.

Sure. Similarly, a genetically inferior man raised in an excellent environment is unlikely to make much of himself, by himself (in whatever given capacity or endeavour). For example, with the very best training, coaches, drugs and facilities I would never have become even a regionally-competitive sprinter, say. Completely wrong body for it, in many important ways.
That's easier for people to admit than mental abilities, which we place a higher value on in this society. So we hate to think that we are in any way fated or predestined to have brains that work better in certain ways and worse in others, compared with other people.
Original post by Sean9001
I agree with you here. My post was very defectively worded - I don't always write so imprecisely... at least I hope not! o.O

But, with regards your first point; if a piece of research is comparing equal percentages of different races, from an equal variety of socio-economic backgrounds, wouldn't those results show the willingness/ability to choose to develop their intelligence? If we were able to distinguish willingness and ability, and it showed that a race had less ability to 'privately ameliorate their intelligence', couldn't that indicate a lower natural intelligence?
One's intelligence is not influenced by the actions of somebody on the other side of the country because they are in the same arbitrary 'category', so it makes no sense to subsume their individual intellectual endeavours into that of an unrelated collective. Where they have recourse to educational materials and a stable home environment, one's intelligence and academic attainment is mutable by their private agency, not anybody else's. Whether or not one chooses to learn is their private choice; I see absolutely no reason for the 'black' individuals who chose to pay attention in school to receive insulting, assumptive remarks about their intelligence because other 'black' individuals—with whom they have no psychological commonality, do not know and do not even acknowledge as extant—chose not to focus in school. People do not work as a group, they work as individuals, which is why the individual is the fundamental and only valuable component of this discussion.
Reply 137
I have to say that I personally believe that it is due to the stereotypes that we, as citizens, are exposed to.
I go to a school which has people of a variety of cultures and races, and I have to say that there is a normal distribution of races in the different class sets in the school.
I think that this illusion is shown to people because whenever you watch a TV show the majority of the time the black character seems to not have nay focus on education, whilst usually the White person or Asian person seems to be much more dedicated to their studies.
Worryingly, people saying that Genetics is playing a part in others intelligence is quite frightening and can only remind me of the Nazi's trying to use genetics to describe other races of sub-standard.
Reply 138
'Black culture' is nihilistic, it only respects physical strength, brute force etc. It's closer to Locke's 'state of nature'.

One manifestation is that black kids brought up into this culture have no respect for Teachers, education, abstract authority etc. They will be obedient but only to the strong man...the gangster.
Original post by NB_ide
Difficult to quantify, I guess.

Sure. Similarly, a genetically inferior man raised in an excellent environment is unlikely to make much of himself, by himself (in whatever given capacity or endeavour). For example, with the very best training, coaches, drugs and facilities I would never have become even a regionally-competitive sprinter, say. Completely wrong body for it, in many important ways.
That's easier for people to admit than mental abilities, which we place a higher value on in this society. So we hate to think that we are in any way fated or predestined to have brains that work better in certain ways and worse in others, compared with other people.

That's the thing, though, I'd say that the difference caused by nurture is deffo larger than that caused by nature. Anybody, with the right attitude and education could be a gold-collar worker. It may not be possible for someone with low natural intelligence to become the next Einstein or Tesla, but we don't quite mean the pinnacle of academic achievement when we talk of achievement in a general context.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending