Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to get into Fashion design/journalism WITHOUT uni?

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    So, I'm currently studying A Levels, I have chosen not to go to/apply for university; it was not for me, however I am now totally stuck as to how I can get into fashion design, or fashion journalism (the course I was considering taking at uni) or interior design.. The problem is nowhere seems to offer any of these courses in the UK.. apart from doing them 'online/distance learning' which is not exactly a great option as most people know.
    I've planned to start a blog over the the summer, it will be based on beauty/fashion to develop my blogging and writing skills...

The A Levels I am taking (taking the last units of A2 this month) are:
    English Language
    Psychology
    Biology

General Studies (compulsory)

As you can see.. I didn't take art due to not doing it at GCSE level as it clashed with business and french.. anyway
    I Live in the UK; far north and south of the country are not suitable or an option as it's too far to realistically travel.

p.s I am willing to do an apprenticeship or such if available..

I'd love to do the above mentioned, however if that is totally dreaming, any thoughts on jobs to start off with after A Levels... The thought of being in a dead-end job forever is haunting!! haha

Thanks for your help
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HRM_)
    Hi
    So, I'm currently studying A Levels, I have chosen not to go to/apply for university; it was not for me, however I am now totally stuck as to how I can get into fashion design, or fashion journalism (the course I was considering taking at uni) or interior design.. The problem is nowhere seems to offer any of these courses in the UK.. apart from doing them 'online/distance learning' which is not exactly a great option as most people know.
    I've planned to start a blog over the the summer, it will be based on beauty/fashion to develop my blogging and writing skills...

The A Levels I am taking (taking the last units of A2 this month) are:
    English Language
    Psychology
    Biology

General Studies (compulsory)

As you can see.. I didn't take art due to not doing it at GCSE level as it clashed with business and french.. anyway
    I Live in the UK; far north and south of the country are not suitable or an option as it's too far to realistically travel.

p.s I am willing to do an apprenticeship or such if available..

I'd love to do the above mentioned, however if that is totally dreaming, any thoughts on jobs to start off with after A Levels... The thought of being in a dead-end job forever is haunting!! haha

Thanks for your help

I've been told about the NCTJ fast track journalism course. Apparently it is well-respected in the journalism industry (or so I'm told by a journalist I asked). Might be worth looking into that
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    You could look into art foundation courses for fashion design, or part-time courses at college, as well as gaining as much work experience as you can.
    For journalism work experience is also important, but there are also courses you can do that aren't degrees, have a look at www.hotcourses.com.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 10, 2012
New on TSR

What are your A-level predictions?

Join our AS and A2 results day chat thread

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.