Black African: 82
    Pakistani: 80.5
    National Average: 80.5
    White British 80.2
    Black Caribbean: 77.5

Why do white pupils underachieve?
    • 114 followers

ReputationRep:
    must be the lack of pigment in our skin making us stupid. Well that's what I'd vouch for anyway.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    Exam results - especially GCSE's - aren't the only barometer of achievement.

As it is, if we do want to take those statistics as indicating achievement, it's likely to be due to a combination of factors - not down to one reason.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    What has poverty levels got to do with anything? I mean sure, it could lead to a better standard of education but does that compromise hard work and motivation to do well. If you're poor say, you may be encouraged to work harder perhaps.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    maybe it;s the education system and not the students...we can only be as good as our teachers(at least initially)
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I also don't believe there can be true poverty in the UK... in comparison to those you ahve posted who live in total squalor, even our tramps can eat
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Because us white folk can dance.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    edited out..
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dhaal_Chawal)
    If we look at the poverty levels for each ethnic group:
    White British: 20%
    Indian: 25%
    Black Caribbean: 30%
    Black African: 45%
    Pakistani: 55%
    Bangladeshi: 65%

Now we look at the results:

Pupils achieving 5+ A*-C grades (%)

Indian: 90.1
    Bangladeshi: 82.8
    White British 80.2

Dude, love your name! :P
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    is this just the retaliation thread to this:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2025406
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen shot 2012-06-08 at 16.30.41.png 
Views:	367 
Size:	13.3 KB 
ID:	155186

Hmmm... :rolleyes:
    • 26 followers

ReputationRep:
    How could we possibly know?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingMessi)

As it is, if we do want to take those statistics as indicating achievement, it's likely to be due to a combination of factors - not down to one reason.
    (Original post by Dhaal_Chawal)
    If we look at the poverty levels for each ethnic group:
    White British: 20%
    Indian: 25%
    Black Caribbean: 30%
    Black African: 45%
    Pakistani: 55%
    Bangladeshi: 65%

Now we look at the results:

Pupils achieving 5+ A*-C grades (%)

Indian: 90.1
    Bangladeshi: 82.8
    White British 80.2

I agree - GCSEs aren't the greatest measure of achievement. If there is any evidence for how many people of ethnic minority go to Oxbridge despite achieving the best grades that will give a better idea.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Because them pakis have to work harder to get out of poverty, whilst white kids know they'll get supported even if they fail
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    They don't seem to underachieve by much, you might ask why are white brits and afro caribbean brits underachieving, probably a shared problem, and also perhaps to solve the problem are indians hot housing their children or is there a less distressing reason for the statistic.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    1) I would say a the lad and ladette culture don't help. Also the way we regard intelligent people in this country is pretty bad. We seem to think everyone who is clever is a snob or anti-social and uncool.

2) It might also be where teachers actually don't pay that much attention to underachieving white children

3) White people from countries such as Poland may be at a language disadvantage.

4) White children may not be taught a good work ethic and may expect the state to look after them. They might not see a point in bothering.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chapman.)
    Because them pakis have to work harder to get out of poverty, whilst white kids know they'll get supported even if they fail
    Ironically Pakistanis are closer to white levels of achievement and possibly below it, gang culture problems, indians on the otherhand
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingMessi)

This. The only reason other ethnic group seem to do better is because they're pushed by their parents harder.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plums&Peaches)
    This. The only reason other ethnic group seem to do better is because they're pushed by their parents harder.
    Perhaps, yes. I would argue that employment statistics would also be just as suggestive of supposed 'achievement' as well.

(Original post by Nightstar-27)
    1) I would say a the lad and ladette culture don't help. Also the way we regard intelligent people in this country is pretty bad. We seem to think everyone who is clever is a snob or anti-social and uncool.

2) It might also be where teachers actually don't pay that much attention to underachieving white children

3) White people from countries such as Poland may be at a language disadvantage.

4) White children may not be taught a good work ethic and may expect the state to look after them. They might not see a point in bothering.
    I can't disagree with much here; as I say, there are a number of possible explanations, and even then only if one accepts the premise that white people are underachieving.

(Original post by Frankster)
    I agree - GCSEs aren't the greatest measure of achievement. If there is any evidence for how many people of ethnic minority go to Oxbridge despite achieving the best grades that will give a better idea.
    Good idea. As I say above, employment figures for age groups may also be an equally barometer of 'achievement'. The problem with using Oxbridge as a barometer is that 'achievement' isn't synonymous with 'Oxbridge' - hell, achievement isn't even synonymous with 'university'. However, employment may be a more accurate indicator.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frankster)
    This doesn't undermine the work ethic or intelligence of these other ethnic group but goes to show just how racist these universities are, even in this day and age :rolleyes:

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: June 20, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.