The Student Room Group

Why do we label others?

As the title asks... I'm really interested in what you think about this.
By labelling I mean many things. We divide people by the clothes they wear, by the colour of their skin, by their sexual preferences, etc, instead of uniting because we're all only humans after all.
Do people really want to belong so much that they are willing to give up their individual characteristics?
How do you avoid labelling others?
Reply 1
Original post by Domi.
As the title asks... I'm really interested in what you think about this.
By labelling I mean many things. We divide people by the clothes they wear, by the colour of their skin, by their sexual preferences, etc, instead of uniting because we're all only humans after all.
Do people really want to belong so much that they are willing to give up their individual characteristics?
How do you avoid labelling others?

Because it's easier to write people off as this or that than actually cooperate and be at peace with someone who does not think like you.
Reply 2
Labelling is a trick used by the media to fear monger. Chavs/yobs/toffs/emos/hoodies/etc. It's easier to discriminate with labels; that's why most labels end up being deemed 'offensive' and banned from use.
Reply 3
It's quicker than getting to know people. Some people are afraid of things that they don't understand, so they don't bother finding out more. It's because they are ignorant.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending