Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can I mix colours of dye??

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I have a plan - I want my hair to be dark ginger/brown. Kind of like this:

But maybe a little bit more brown. This colour dye DOES NOT EXIST. I've tried various shades of red and reddy-brown but they always have weird dark plum/purple undertones. About 2 months ago I dyed my hair ginger (permanant), then 2 weeks ago put a dark chocolate semi-permenant over the top and it looked gorgeous! But now the chocolate has washed out and I'm back to ginger.

So the plan is... buy 2 permanant dyes - the ginger and the chocolate. Mix HALF of the colourant of each into one bottle of developer, shake, apply... = the colour I'm after? Obviously I'd still have half of each colourant tube left, but surely that's ok because it's not been mixed with the developer yet? It's only the final mixed product that you're not supposed to store, right?

My only worry is that there's different chemicals in the 2 colours that might react badly and make my hair fall out or something. Likely?

Thanks guys!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I really wouldn't recommend it. If you want it that bad, I'd go to a hairdresser and ask them to do it for you, because they have background experience with the chemicals.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    No, for several reasons. Firstly different colorants contain different chemicals, some which can react badly together which best case wil ruin the colour and worse case could end in chemical burns and your hair falling out. Unless you know enough about chemicals to understand what might happen with all the things on the box mushed together I wouldnt chance it.

Secondly it probably wouldn't work anyway. I am pretty sure the ginger one will have some kind of lightener in i.e peroxide where as dark brown will likely just be a pigment. I'm no chemical genius but I'm pretty sure the brown is going to have a tough time colouring your follicles while the lightener is trying to strip them.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    what i would recommend is not mixing the dyes but using a permanent dye over the top but not leave it in as long as the thing suggests so not let it develop fully...
    (if you are more patient than me do a strand test to see how long you need it left on to get the colour you want)

or as someone else said go to an actual hair dresser... they tend to have some way of doing these things...(though that said i am one that avoids this silly money for something that it is possible to do at home some how.... meh nah!)
    x
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks for the advice

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 10, 2012
New on TSR

Submitting your UCAS application

How long did it take for yours to be processed?

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered hair care and hairstyles threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.