The Student Room Group

Guide to Irish name pronunciation

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Junaid96
:biggrin: good job there, you sure do have a lot of time :smile:

Too much time when you're no longer a student and can't get a job! I am passionate about the Irish language :biggrin:
Reply 41
Original post by StarsAreFixed
Jack is a derivative of John, so yes.

You forgot Brighid
Original post by marcusfox
Yes, I know. This is additional to your contribution.

Ah okay. Some of those names on it are horrific..Gormflaith, think I saw Gobnait too...safe to say I don't know any and never heard of anyone with those names, except in passing over how gross they are.
Original post by Fusion
You forgot Brighid

Bridget/Brigid just doesn't seem like an Irish name, that's pretty Anglicised. I did forget Bríd though, which would be the origin of both. (pronounced breed). It's very rare on anyone under 60 here.
Bridget/Brigid just doesn't seem like an Irish name, that's pretty Anglicised. I did forget Bríd though, which would be the origin of both. (pronounced breed). It's very rare on anyone under 60 here.

I've got a great auntie Bridget she's around 60 ish but everyone calls her Breda . Funny how stuff changes.
I've never heard of it spelled like that but pronounced Bríd, interesting.
what about 'eavan'? a girl's name I believe.
Original post by Marlo Stanfield
what about 'eavan'? a girl's name I believe.

Only ever heard of it in relation to the poet Eavan Boland. Pronounced A (long a)-van. It MAY be a more modern makey-up name, not sure. Very rare anyway. Nóinín and Réaltín ARE absolutely made-up modern names, compared to Niamh, Oisín, Gráinne and Deirdre which all appear in mythology thousands of years old.
Nice names.
Reply 49
I'm not fussed on Irish names tbh. Especially things like Eimear/ Emer :/

nice guide though
Original post by Cool Cat
I'm not fussed on Irish names tbh. Especially things like Eimear/ Emer :/

nice guide though

Spelled Emer it's much easier. It's one of my favourites and very very popular here. Because they're so varied it's tough to write all of them off. Orla, Emer and Ciara are probably the most accessible.
Reply 51
Spelled Emer it's much easier. It's one of my favourites and very very popular here. Because they're so varied it's tough to write all of them off. Orla, Emer and Ciara are probably the most accessible.

i just don't like the sound of most of the names on your list :frown:
Tadhg is the traditional spelling instead of Tadgh
Tadhg is the traditional spelling instead of Tadgh
Reply 54
I know this is an old thread but this guy above me decided to bump it for some random reason...

Apparently Teamhair is pronounced Tara. Yes.
Reply 55
I think Brèagha and Aoife are the most beautiful names ever

Quick Reply

Latest