The Student Room Group

Back to basics with French (sitting Higher)

As the thread title says, I am currently sitting Higher French (in S6). However one problem is that I haven't done French since S4. Last year in S5 I crashed Spanish and therefore for a year my mind has been completely focused on Spanish. Because of this I now feel as if I've completely forgotten everything to do with French!

Is there anyone else who skipped a year or more of French and then went back to it later? Also, this year I am sitting French and Spanish so are there any tips on how to do well in both subjects without getting both languages mixed up? :rolleyes:
Reply 1
I'm doing Higher French this year and I'm in 6th year - haven't done it since S4 either!

I didn't do a language in S5 though, although I did do SG Spanish as well as French so I get what you mean about the confusion. This isn't a great tip at all but what I used to do was imagine my French/Spanish teacher saying the words when I read/wrote them. Since my French teacher was female and my Spanish teacher was male the voices in my head sounded pretty different.

I've found that whilst I can understand the teachers pretty much perfectly when they're speaking French, my mind completely blanks when I have to come up with some French myself!

French was one of my best subjects in SG, so I'm hoping not all of it's forgotton :P
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
" The voices in my head"

Just realised how weird that sounded... :colondollar:
As with all languages, the Grammar is the most important. Make sure you are confident in knowing to use and recognize all the tenses. I made a mistake in not paying attention to the first few weeks of Grammar lessons and i found it really difficult to learn french because i was only memorizing, not understanding- which is paramount.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending