Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can you claim benefits on a gap year?

Announcements Posted on
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just curious and all but is it possible to, say youre looking for work but cant find any could you claim it or would you be exempt due to me having a place at uni but it being deffered?
    Ta
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Stop trying to sponge off the Government n get a job like everyone else.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    The job centre is the most demoralising place in the country.
    Trust me, work if you can find it (as difficult as it is in today's world) as it will build confidence, skills and most of all, a sense of self-worth.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Yeah haha, I'm doing that right now.

JSA gives you £56/week for doing nothing, and turning up to the jobcentre plus once a fortnight (and pretending to look for a work).

EDIT: I should add, you do kinda feel like dirt being there. It's not really a nice scene. But y'know, free money.

In all honesty though, it'd probably be more practical to actually get a job (unless you've got something else you'd rather be doing with your time...). You'd feel better actually earning your money, not to mention you'd get considerably more.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yep it's what I'm currently doing. I'd rather have a job, but it seems as though no one wants me
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rcummins1)
    Stop trying to sponge off the Government n get a job like everyone else.
    can you read or are you just a dolt?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    You can even claim benefits in the summer before you start uni.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ree69)
    Yeah haha, I'm doing that right now.

JSA gives you £56/week for doing nothing, and turning up to the jobcentre plus once a fortnight (and pretending to look for a work).

EDIT: I should add, you do kinda feel like dirt being there. It's not really a nice scene. But y'know, free money.

In all honesty though, it'd probably be more practical to actually get a job (unless you've got something else you'd rather be doing with your time...). You'd feel better actually earning your money, not to mention you'd get considerably more.
    aye id far rather find a job but the job market these days is horrific and almost every single job ive applied for has asked for 'prior experience' which is rather irritating as you cant get the damn experience -_- but yar its a rather nasty prospect having to go down there and ask for a hand out, goes against my morales but hey a mans got to get by right?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you can.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    My brother did.

He wanted to go travelling in his gap year. The idiot forgot he had no way to finance it. -.-'

He did end up getting a job eventually though.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    To claim benefits you have to be looking for work, so then what is the point in the gap year?

Spending a year hanging around the job centre and then maybe spending a few months on min wage doesn't sound very appealing compared to university.
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    You should be able to, seeing as you're unemployed.

You might as well claim JSA / save it up for uni if you can't find a job.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cl_steele)
    aye id far rather find a job but the job market these days is horrific and almost every single job ive applied for has asked for 'prior experience' which is rather irritating as you cant get the damn experience -_- but yar its a rather nasty prospect having to go down there and ask for a hand out, goes against my morales but hey a mans got to get by right?
    They give you loads of job handouts - well, at least, they do everything they possibly can to ensure you can get a job. Are you on your gap year now? In which case I'd say start your claim (it's done online) ASAP.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ree69)
    They give you loads of job handouts - well, at least, they do everything they possibly can to ensure you can get a job. Are you on your gap year now? In which case I'd say start your claim (it's done online) ASAP.
    ah splendid yar i'll be starting it in about a week , cheers!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 9, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.