The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Stop trying to sponge off the Government n get a job like everyone else.
The job centre is the most demoralising place in the country. :frown:
Trust me, work if you can find it (as difficult as it is in today's world) as it will build confidence, skills and most of all, a sense of self-worth.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Yeah haha, I'm doing that right now.

JSA gives you £56/week for doing nothing, and turning up to the jobcentre plus once a fortnight (and pretending to look for a work).

EDIT: I should add, you do kinda feel like dirt being there. It's not really a nice scene. But y'know, free money.

In all honesty though, it'd probably be more practical to actually get a job (unless you've got something else you'd rather be doing with your time...). You'd feel better actually earning your money, not to mention you'd get considerably more.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Yep it's what I'm currently doing. I'd rather have a job, but it seems as though no one wants me :frown:
Reply 5
Original post by rcummins1
Stop trying to sponge off the Government n get a job like everyone else.

can you read or are you just a dolt?
You can even claim benefits in the summer before you start uni.
Reply 7
Original post by Ree69
Yeah haha, I'm doing that right now.

JSA gives you £56/week for doing nothing, and turning up to the jobcentre plus once a fortnight (and pretending to look for a work).

EDIT: I should add, you do kinda feel like dirt being there. It's not really a nice scene. But y'know, free money.

In all honesty though, it'd probably be more practical to actually get a job (unless you've got something else you'd rather be doing with your time...). You'd feel better actually earning your money, not to mention you'd get considerably more.

aye id far rather find a job but the job market these days is horrific and almost every single job ive applied for has asked for 'prior experience' which is rather irritating as you cant get the damn experience -_- but yar its a rather nasty prospect having to go down there and ask for a hand out, goes against my morales but hey a mans got to get by right?
Yes, you can.
Reply 9
My brother did.

He wanted to go travelling in his gap year. The idiot forgot he had no way to finance it. -.-'

He did end up getting a job eventually though.
To claim benefits you have to be looking for work, so then what is the point in the gap year?

Spending a year hanging around the job centre and then maybe spending a few months on min wage doesn't sound very appealing compared to university.
You should be able to, seeing as you're unemployed.

You might as well claim JSA / save it up for uni if you can't find a job. :redface:
Reply 12
Original post by cl_steele
aye id far rather find a job but the job market these days is horrific and almost every single job ive applied for has asked for 'prior experience' which is rather irritating as you cant get the damn experience -_- but yar its a rather nasty prospect having to go down there and ask for a hand out, goes against my morales but hey a mans got to get by right?

They give you loads of job handouts - well, at least, they do everything they possibly can to ensure you can get a job. Are you on your gap year now? In which case I'd say start your claim (it's done online) ASAP.
Reply 13
Original post by Ree69
They give you loads of job handouts - well, at least, they do everything they possibly can to ensure you can get a job. Are you on your gap year now? In which case I'd say start your claim (it's done online) ASAP.

ah splendid :smile: yar i'll be starting it in about a week :smile:, cheers! :smile:
I'm on disability benefits and that is not scrounging off everyone else. Please be understanding of people's situations before making harmful statements
Original post by Phoebehedley5
I'm on disability benefits and that is not scrounging off everyone else. Please be understanding of people's situations before making harmful statements

This thread is four years old...

Latest

Trending

Trending