Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Physics Unit 4 AQA, Section A

Announcements Posted on
Study Help needs new mods! 14-04-2014
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm finding the multiple choice part of the paper really hard and was wondering how do people revise for this part :confused:.

I know all of the stuff in the book but most of Section A just requires you to pull out equations from no where .
    So can someone please give me tips in how they are revising for this section
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Which questions in particular are you having problems with?

I usually just try to answer them like any other question. The only benefit is that the multiple choice lets you know if you're on the right track or not.

Just use the same equations as you usually would. Make sure you have a copy of the equation booklet relevant to your exam, and you can check all the equations there.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SillyEddy)
    Which questions in particular are you having problems with?

I usually just try to answer them like any other question. The only benefit is that the multiple choice lets you know if you're on the right track or not.

Just use the same equations as you usually would. Make sure you have a copy of the equation booklet relevant to your exam, and you can check all the equations there.
    I just find the entire exam paper incredibly hard to do .
    I'm familiar with all the concepts in the book but the multiple questions are just ridiculously hard . I seem to find them all hard m8. Just wondering, how do you attempt the questions???
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Imo the trick to doing well on section A is using the formula book well, a lot of the questions can be solved with no prior knowledge. Just read the question carefully, select the right equation(s) and rearrange (or dont) to solve what the question asks for.

Other than that just practice as many as possible, but its a bit late for that now :P
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bahjat93)
    I just find the entire exam paper incredibly hard to do .
    I'm familiar with all the concepts in the book but the multiple questions are just ridiculously hard . I seem to find them all hard m8. Just wondering, how do you attempt the questions???
    I just write out the key information on the spare piece of paper and answer it as normally as any other question.

Really, the only difference is that they give you options to choose from - Just work out the question, see if the answers match. Quite often there will be two pairs of answers - One pair will be a high answer, one pair will be a low answer, and from each pair, there will usually be an answer where it's a couple of decimal places out from the other. Just work through the question and derive an answer, then check the booklet and see which one fits. Sometimes you do just have to guess.

If it's a question where you have to reason the answer (words, not numbers) then I just put a mark next to the answers which don't fit the question. For instance, 'Here is a circuit, what happens when the switch is turned off', and then I look through the answers and see which events are entirely not possible and which are plausible. Then I reason further to find the correct answer. Possibly using math to get to the right answer.

But yeah, just answer it like any other question. It's partly easier to other exams as you have discrete answers. However, if you work it out and it's vastly wrong, then it can leave you stumped as you don't know where you went wrong. But just use the working out as you normally would.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: June 11, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.