The Student Room Group

Is 250MB of Internet Allowance enough?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by aneziri20
Buy the phone sim free, it's about £350 on amazon and join giffgaff. £10 a month, unlimited Internet and texts as well as 250minutes.

With GiffGaff, to pay for the handset plus 24 months of those goodybags it would be £350 + (24*£10) = £590

That's a bit expensive - I think GiffGaff is better for lower end phones that have very cheap handsets. But if you want a more expensive handset, it would be more cost efficient to go on contract where you can pay £15-20 a month, but get the handset free.

I mean, I found a deal where I can get the handset free and pay £16 a month for 24 months for 200 minutes, 500 texts and unlimited internet. £16*24 = £384
Which is all I need to be honest, for £200 less :smile:
Turning off location and push permissions for apps will stop this

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 22
Original post by Junaid96
Hold on, I know plenty of people are saying it's enough, but personally I have 500mb and on my old Android phone I was constantly meeting that limit. 250mb is very, very little - you'll have 8mb a day..
3 minutes of video and boom, your data will be used up. 2 minutes of HD video will leave you owing the network about £1. You'll be able to view about 50 single webpages a day, assuming you do nothing else. Download an app and that will probably be the equivalent of 3 days' usage. I would be very careful about agreeing to 250mb - over the next couple of years we're going to see even more internet capabilities from mobiles, and you will live to regret it.

Yeh, that is some good advice, which is why I looked a bit harder and found a better deal where I could get unlimited internet :smile: Thanks
Original post by Giant
Yeh, that is some good advice, which is why I looked a bit harder and found a better deal where I could get unlimited internet :smile: Thanks

Nice one :smile: I'm definitely getting at least 1GB when I upgrade, probably way more so I can tether my laptop/tablet at uni.
Reply 24
Original post by hannahcoroner
Oh I'll definitely look into that! I know that iMessage drains loadsss of your allowance so I've turned that off but yeah I'll see if I can turn anything else off :-)
That would make sense because I always get notifications from Facebook/ twitter etc so they must be always connected!
Thanks for the advice!

yar i found out the hard way on my blackberry when i forgot to turn off the roaming thing when i went to Turkey, big mistake a £20 bill jumped to £250 by the time id gotten home -_- was not impressed in the slightest :tongue:
Reply 25
Original post by David Sayers

EDIT: bare these figures in mind when looking at file sizes

1 bit = 1024 kbs
1024 kbs = 1 mb
1024 mbs = 1 gb

kbs (kilobits per second) are used to measure speed, kB (kilobytes) are used to measure file size.

8192 bits = 1 kB
1024 bits = 1 kb
Reply 26
Fine if you're a light user. You'll have to stay away from youtube.
Reply 27
Nice one :smile: I'm definitely getting at least 1GB when I upgrade, probably way more so I can tether my laptop/tablet at uni.

you have to check the terms and conditions. It's common for carriers to not allow tethering.
It might be OK for you but my home connection gets through about half a terabyte a month lol.
Original post by Camoxide
you have to check the terms and conditions. It's common for carriers to not allow tethering.

Yeah I know, I'm looking into ways of *ahem* tethering without them knowing :smile: Or I'll just go for ones which allow it.
Reply 30
Yeah I know, I'm looking into ways of *ahem* tethering without them knowing :smile: Or I'll just go for ones which allow it.

The One plan is the best plan at the moment if you want absolutely unlimited tethering. Carriers like GiffGaff will actually check the type of usage and block you if they notice you're tethering, which isn't too difficult for them.
Original post by und
The One plan is the best plan at the moment if you want absolutely unlimited tethering. Carriers like GiffGaff will actually check the type of usage and block you if they notice you're tethering, which isn't too difficult for them.

Oh, that's sneaky of them :smile: I might go for the One plan next year - looks pricey though.
Oh, that's sneaky of them :smile: I might go for the One plan next year - looks pricey though.

On a lot of phones, I know I can on my iPhone I can use it to create a personal hotspot with my 3G to allow me use my laptop online. This is allowed. Not sure if that counts as tethering? But obviously you'd get through usage much quicker and it would still be just as slow

On a lot of phones, I know I can on my iPhone I can use it to create a personal hotspot with my 3G to allow me use my laptop online. This is allowed. Not sure if that counts as tethering? But obviously you'd get through usage much quicker and it would still be just as slow

Yeah that's counted as tethering. What do you mean "just as slow"? My mobile internet is normally between 3-5 Mbps - not too shabby :smile:
Yeah that's counted as tethering. What do you mean "just as slow"? My mobile internet is normally between 3-5 Mbps - not too shabby :smile:

Just that it's nothing on the speed of wifi that's all I meant

Just that it's nothing on the speed of wifi that's all I meant

Well, that depends on your home broadband speed :smile: Mine was only upgraded from 0.5 Meg in summer :tongue: and even now it's 3-4 Meg, nothing special. Wish I had fibre :frown:
Well, that depends on your home broadband speed :smile: Mine was only upgraded from 0.5 Meg in summer :tongue: and even now it's 3-4 Meg, nothing special. Wish I had fibre :frown:

I've no idea what speed I'm running at, wish I didn't have orange tho :/ likes to turn itself on and off when it pleases and I have to plug in to fix the pairing. Normally at the most inconvenient times

I've no idea what speed I'm running at, wish I didn't have orange tho :/ likes to turn itself on and off when it pleases and I have to plug in to fix the pairing. Normally at the most inconvenient times

Over summer Three decided they were going to repair our local network tower without telling us. I called them and asked what was going on (I'd lost signal for a few hours) and they said they were repairing it for the day. I whinged and whinged on the phone to see how much I could get out of them, and they ended up giving me 2.5GB of data, even though my contract only provides 500mb per month :biggrin: The funniest part is that I was on the way to a totally different part of England at the time of calling, and stayed there for two weeks and so wasn't even remotely affected by the repair :smile:
I've got 500mb which is more than enough for me, I don't use 3G data everyday mind.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending