The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by BrookesSam
Hi All,

I am new to the student room. I am a final year student at a UK university.
I was hoping I could get some help in generating some IT dissertation topic ideas.. I am a little lost confused and just mind blank at this moment. Unfortunately I only have till Friday to make a decision and that will be it.

I study Information technology management for business - that is my course.
So I've been told I would need to make a prototype/system as well as the write up of a dissertation. However I have no idea what to do, I was thinking on the lines of social media and how that impacts on a business.. but I'm not sure how to make that into a prototype or system even.

Some help and guidance would really be appreciated.. I am quite confused and lost at this moment.

Thank you so much for reading this post.

I just learnt about this method today but try looking at previous dissertations from your course. At the end should be a section that's called something like "Recommendations for Further Study". Is there something in there you could look at?

Or do what I did and think about what sort of work you're looking for after uni and write something that relates to that.
Reply 81
Original post by avéry
I just learnt about this method today but try looking at previous dissertations from your course. At the end should be a section that's called something like "Recommendations for Further Study". Is there something in there you could look at?

Or do what I did and think about what sort of work you're looking for after uni and write something that relates to that.

Thanks for the suggestion.. I'm thinking I might do an online booking system as I have to make a prototype as well as write my dissertation..
Reply 82
Original post by BrookesSam
Thanks for the suggestion.. I'm thinking I might do an online booking system as I have to make a prototype as well as write my dissertation..

You're welcome. Your idea sounds good. :smile:
I've done loads today! Well, its only like 1600 words but its more than I've written in ages ... I am strangely motivated today!

I'm doing my literature review at the moment and I can see it is going to be VERY long ... I've got 4 'areas to review' and I'm halfway through the first one and have 600 words. Its probably going to be the longest one anyway, but how long would you say a literature review was? So far I have:

Introduction 1017
Research Questions 75
Lit review (so far) 502

I still have 4 chapters (3 of which involve data and methods and god knows what) a discussion and conclusion! All to be done in 12,000 words.

I'm beginning to feel like 12,000 is not enough!

Hope everyone else is doing well with theirs ... although I am expecting a deluge of I HATE IT to come my way :P
Reply 84
Right. Monday I am definitely starting to collect data and do research for my dissertation. I can't leave it till the last minute like I did my undergrad one!

Out of interest, does anyone know the major difference between a BSc dissertation and an MSc one?
Reply 85
Original post by .ACS.
Right. Monday I am definitely starting to collect data and do research for my dissertation. I can't leave it till the last minute like I did my undergrad one!

Out of interest, does anyone know the major difference between a BSc dissertation and an MSc one?

BSc = Batchelor of Science
MSc = Master of Science

The second one sounds cooler, also BSc is an undergrad course whilst MSc is a postgraduate course.

I've collected loads of articles and journals and the like but haven't actually read any of them yet. :redface: Still trying to work up the motivation to fill out my dissertation registration (it's due tomorrow!).
Reply 86
Just been given the assessment deadlines for my dissertation. I need the intro & first chapter by december... Best get cracking!
Reply 87
Original post by avéry
MSc = Master of Science

The second one sounds cooler, also BSc is an undergrad course whilst MSc is a postgraduate course.

I've collected loads of articles and journals and the like but haven't actually read any of them yet. :redface: Still trying to work up the motivation to fill out my dissertation registration (it's due tomorrow!).

Original post by .ACS.

Hey what about Meng - Master of Engineering :cool: lol

My dissertation research isn't going well it's a bit of an overload of information as I have an outline but still have yet to decide on what I want to do exactly.
Reply 88
Original post by avéry
MSc = Master of Science

:tongue:

I meant how much more in depth does the MSc one have to be compared to the BSc one? I've done my BSc one. Now beginning research for my MSc one. I have my topic, but not sure what I should do differently to differentiate it for an MSc level dissertation.
Reply 89
Original post by .ACS.
:tongue:

I meant how much more in depth does the MSc one have to be compared to the BSc one? I've done my BSc one. Now beginning research for my MSc one. I have my topic, but not sure what I should do differently to differentiate it for an MSc level dissertation.

Haha. That does make more sense, you are doing an MSc after all!

I would assume that the MSc would include more research and be expected to be at a higher standard. Also, aren't some Masters completely independent research papers (i.e. no tutors?)?

I suppose your course leader is the best person to ask.

Feel a bit silly now! :tongue:
Reply 90
Well, the time has come, whether I like it or not, for me to join this thread. :eek:

Third year English Literature student, I will think of a better title by the end of the year but right now my working title is:

'The Fallen Woman': The Representation of Prostitution in Victorian Literature.

My first deadline (November 8th) is a 2000 word final proposal with chapter structure and annotated bibliography, I'm terrified! :s-smilie:
Reply 91
hey guys

really need some advise, ive brought dissertation help guides for my nerves and they have been fab ive written my propsal and got my first tutorial on monday about my essay topic. I cant write to save my life, I am an art student so it goes without saying hahah! Ive never wrote an essay over 2000 words so i feel so overwhelmed. Ive wrote a checklist of what i need to include in this essay and I read on here by most of you that as you start to write the anxiety slips away and your focus pushes out the worry. I hope this is the case because atm I am not sleeping worrying and the worrying is preventing me from starting......AND BREATHE :frown:
Reply 92
Hi,

I am in my final year of Uni.. Time to start my dissertation :/

I have decided to do my dissertation on rape and corroboration , as this is currently under debate with the law commission and lord carloway has produced a report for reform.

I am unsure on my title, hope anyone can help. And also Advice on areas for me to focus on for my chapter guides etc and also advice on key areas for research or case law.
Reply 93
Hi ill be doing my dissertation on education and naturally ill be surveying students but id like to survey staff and senior management too...

Is survey media of an email survey to informal for staff and senior management?
Does it require an interview? What suggestions do you have for surveying these people?

Thanks
Reply 94
Wow... Things just got real! I'm submitting my research proposals next week! :eek:
Hi,

I'm doing a dissertation on whether a salary cap would be beneficial for english football from a fans perspective. Seeing if they differ depending on the team they support.
I was wondering if anyone could recommend any journals or essential questions to include in my questionnaire when data collecting.

Thanks
Reply 96
I've finally chosen a topic.

What are the main factors that influence a passengers choice when choosing an airline?

I've completed 700/1500 of my research proposal. It's due next Friday.

Only got my lit review section left but haven't started reading yet. It's been difficult as I've spent the last 2 weeks in hospital so haven't had access to the material. Hoping to go back to uni this weekend and start :smile:.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Is any one doing a business/finance related dissertation? If so what's your question?

I'm really struggling on a question. Can any one help with some suggestions on a question I could do?

I cannot believe I'm in third year already and the dissertation I've been dreading since first year has arrived! I've done some research, am having meetings with my supervisor(s) and am all organised and on track but it's still the one piece of work I'm most nervous about - probably because it's 10,000 words and has twice as much value as my other modules, eek! At least I have a research question and have started notes and a bibliography. I'm studying English Language and Literature by the way.
Reply 99
Original post by CC2010
I've finally chosen a topic.

What are the main factors that influence a passengers choice when choosing an airline?

I've completed 700/1500 of my research proposal. It's due next Friday.

Only got my lit review section left but haven't started reading yet. It's been difficult as I've spent the last 2 weeks in hospital so haven't had access to the material. Hoping to go back to uni this weekend and start :smile:.

There was a programme on Channel 4 (should still be available on catch up) called The Plane Crash or something which looked at where people sit on a plane and how it effected them during a crash.

Just thought that might be useful to you. Some people chose their seats based on how likely it is they think they'll survive in a crash.

Latest

Trending

Trending