The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ziziii
i don't know if this is an everyday issue, but here it goes.

this morning, i woke up in a hospital bed. yepp, alcohol poisoning. in short, i went to a party last night, got drunk out of my mind and apparently passed out; the others, from what i've understood, called an ambulance, with which i was taken to a hospital.

the thing is, i was supposed to be going to a music festival per train with my closest friend today, who also took me to this party. and at the moment, i have no idea what to think of this. i honestly don't think it's much of a deal, but is there something i should do? some kind of drunk etiquette? :tongue: i do plan to call my friend later and apologize for letting him down. i'm usually okay with drinking, but this was the first time i've really pushed it too far.

on a related note, my mother thinks confiscating my phone for a while is a good idea. i'm seventeen, and rational enough to understand that while a punishment may help me to come to terms with what i've done, it certainly does not solve any underlying 'issue' or alter my fundamental essence as a person. i'm young, and i'm going to party, and maybe i overdid it this time but surely a punishment is unnecessary?

has anyone gone through any similar experiences, and how did you handle it? thanks! :smile: x

I had a similarish experience...

Went to london for a weekend to see friends and ended up in hospital due to drinking too much. First time and last time I should add.

I'm not going to lie, I was MORTIFIED at the time. Sobered up after the IV drip. And was fine enough to get a taxi home by myself. But embarrassed beyond belief. And super super grateful for my friends who took me there.

One thing you have to understand is ending up in hospital due to drinking, though 'funny' to look back on (my friends make endless jokes about it now :tongue:) it is actually a serious problem. And it means you could end up in a very dangerous situation drinking that much. You are lucky you received medical care....and had people to get you there safely. I dread to think what could have happened to me, alone, in London. At 1 in the morning....dark deviants is all I am going to say!

So yes, it is something to look back on and joke about. And on another point, no reason to be embarrassed either! I decided to get over it and see it as a 'chapter in my life'. No regrets all that shizz! But do not make it a common occurrence. Learn from this.

Know your limits, not just for your health but for your safety.

And regarding you friend, for sure apologize. Its just common decency! But be sincere about it...
And your punishment. I don't blame her to be honest. You are 17, its still illegal to drink. Yes you are going to party, but there is having fun..and ending up in hospital! I guess she wants to show you that this is not acceptable behaviour. Your mum undoubtly loves you and is concerned for you.
Original post by ziziii
surely 'idiot' is taking it a bit far..? for little do you know that i speak five languages fluently, and am heading out to UCL for an undergrad law degree (while also having featured on the cover of a local music magazine alongside captaining the local football side's u-18 squad). 'idiot' was slightly dismissive and unnecessary, i find.

i go out drinking all the time, but this was a new experience for me, and something to learn from.

i live in Germany, where, surprisingly, less people complain about money. looks like someone's butthurt regarding their income! :rolleyes:

it makes me happy to know that there are people who actually think before blurting things out. thank you. x

'kenn dein limit', i read it everywhere. just because you don't get laid doesn't mean you should be going around recycling jokes that have already been mentioned in the thread, k thanks :smile:

mate, just.. if it were that bad, i wouldn't have chilled all day today. i understand you feel the need to be funny in an online community, but relax yea?

LOL, best get used to being alco-****ed then.
im confused. ive passed out from alcohol twice before, and never ended up in hospital ....thats scared me!! how did you end up there?
Original post by Sophyla
I agree with you entirely and your signature is a lie :frown:

You just need to believe!! :awesome:
Original post by TheSownRose
OP probably doesn't want to be any girl at parties... :wink:

lol woops, I presumed from the 'closest friend' and the pink signature :colondollar:
Reply 45
Original post by Architecture-er
You just need to believe!! :awesome:

I tried! It's just not working for me :frown:
Original post by Sophyla
I tried! It's just not working for me :frown:

Then you can never get to Neverland :no:
Reply 47
Then you can never get to Neverland :no:

:'( But I don't want to grow up!
Original post by Beebumble
You're 17 so under the legal drinking age. Your Mum has a responsibility to keep you safe and make sure you act within the law. Her punishing you is her way of living up to her responsibilities. Be grateful you have a responsible parent.

nahh not in germany mate. 16 is the legal drinking age. found that out on a school trip, nice suprise :smile:
Original post by EnviroProtector
nahh not in germany mate. 16 is the legal drinking age. found that out on a school trip, nice suprise :smile:

Ah didn't read they were German. Still, I'm sure German parents have a responsibility to look after their children and prevent them from ending up in hospital!
Some of you lot on here are so infuriating. Yes he acted silly, but it was a one off, the abuse is a bit harsh. And as for everyone on here going on about wasted taxes, and wasted hospital beds :lolwut: OP got so drunk - not intentionally, admittedly he should have known his limits but didn't - do you think that everyone that injures/hurts themselves accidently shouldn't be given treatment because "they should have known better"?

Also, OP, if I were you i'd be a bit embarrassed, you should apologise to your parents and friends and promise to respect your limits next time so that it won't happen again :smile:
Original post by Sophyla
:'( But I don't want to grow up!

Well tough ****, you grew up as soon as you failed to taste the orangey goodness! :tongue:

(carrot AND stick, aren't you impressed :biggrin: )
(edited 11 years ago)
amazingly enough none of the incidents happened in lancaster [=
as iv only ever been out in lancaster a couple of times, all underage whoooooops
Reply 53
Well tough ****, you grew up as soon as you failed to taste the orangey goodness! :tongue:

(carrot AND stick, aren't you impressed :biggrin: )

NOOO :'(
I am very impressed, but also upset! (u)
Original post by Sophyla
NOOO :'(
I am very impressed, but also upset! (u)

:console: I don't know what to say, would you like cake? :cake:
Reply 55
Original post by ELs123
haha no worries, I wasn't calling you out or anything :P

I just assumed that because they were 17 they may not have had much experience with alcohol and know what their limit was :smile:

Being 17 and inexperienced is an excuse for throwing up or making a **** of yourself but not getting alcohol poisoning and waking up in hospital. The key words there were poisoning and hospital
Reply 56
Original post by ziziii
i don't think that's what he meant. it doesn't make you 'interesting', but living through the experience once is something you can learn from, and eventually laugh about in retrospect.

I fail to see how willingly ingesting a poison is an experience.
Reply 57
Original post by architecture-er
:console: I don't know what to say, would you like cake? :cake:

who in the world could say no to cake?
Original post by Sophyla
who in the world could say no to cake?

I have no idea!

Spoiler

Reply 59
I have no idea!

Spoiler