The Student Room Group

Sickness, 1st day placement...any advice please help?

Today is Saturday, and I am due to start a new placement on Monday. I've come down with a delightful bout of (sorry if you're having a late lunch) D & V. I'm down to work a 13.5 hr shift on Monday in a manically busy acute ward, and it will be the first day. So although I may feel better by Monday, I know I won't feel 100%, and don't think I can handle a 13.5 hour shift getting over feeling ill. Plus, there's the whole you must be asymptomatic for 48 hours thing.

I'm really worried as I don't want to miss my first day but I don't want to go in feeling ill either. I suffer from anxiety too, and when I've gone into placement ill before, with colds and stuff, I've worried myself sick over passing my illness on to vulnerable immuno-compromised patients. So don't want to ignore the 48 hour rule, despite the fact that I'd more than likely be actively encouraged to.

But I don't want to miss my first day as it will look terrible. I am considering going in and not eating or drinking anything, as obv that helps....but then 13.5 hours on a busy ward may not be a good idea to be dehydrated.

I just don't know what to do. I feel like crying. Why does stuff like this always happen to me :frown:
I say, rest up, take it easy today, watch your favourite film or something an see how you feel tomorrow. If you still feel and have the symptoms of D&V then you'll have to ring up.
On my first day of my first placement I was extremely ill, couldnt even get out of bed. Whilst its not the best start to placement as you dont want to give them the wrong idea these things happen. Id phone placement and explain that you have had d&v, arent 48hours clear and still are not feeling well and see what they say (which will probably be dont come in) but at least you left the ball in their court.
I know it's not very nice not being able to attend your first day, and you're worried that it'll give a bad first impression, but if you would perform poorly and potentially infect vulnerable patients, it's for the best that you stay at home and rest. Your CE will understand this, and if you perform well on the reminder of your placement, they won't think any the worse of you! It will show that you had the initiative to contact them and stay clear for the required 48 hours, rather than arriving for your first day regardless, and having to be turned away.

Quick Reply

Latest