Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Gifts from the ex?

Announcements Posted on
TSR wants you: get involved with Power Hour. 10-04-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Not sure if it belongs in this section, mods feel free to move.

My ex gave me a watch for Christmas this year, and we broke up a few months later. Now, there are no regrets, ended on decent enough terms, I am glad I got out, and I certainly don't want to get her back or have feelings for her, or anything like that.

Now, this is actually quite a nice watch, but is it a bit of a faux pas to wear it now that we have split up? I made it clear to her after the breakup that all the gifts I gave here were just that - gifts. She can do as she likes with them. If I saw her wearing any of them I genuinely wouldn't mind - I don't believe gifts should have a time limit on them, if that makes sense.

Since this was my first serious relationship (1.5 years-ish) I haven't been in this position before so advice would be appreciated.

Cheers
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    There's nothing wrong with it, future girlfriends might not appriciate it when they find out it was from your ex though. I personally have had a tonne of jewlery from ex boyfriends and I don't wear any of it because of memories and to avoid awkwardness when people ask me where I got it from lol but just because I've never kept gifts after a relationship doesn't mean that it's wrong for everyone else
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply - that did cross my mind what future girlfriends might think.

I am tempted to flog it on eBay and buy another one, might save a few issues coming up!
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    There is nothing wrong with it at all. Right at the beginning of my last relationship, 4 years ago, my ex gave me a watch as a gift. I attached a great deal of sentimental value to it. We broke up last year and I kept wearing it - 1) because it was a good watch and 2) although I hate to admit it, it still had sentimental value.

Last weekend I broke said watch in an accident. The mechanism still works but the strap needs replacing. I probably won't get a new strap, in a strange way I feel "released".

Anyway, I digress. Wearing the watch is fine.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1992LP)
    Thanks for the reply - that did cross my mind what future girlfriends might think.

I am tempted to flog it on eBay and buy another one, might save a few issues coming up!
    I generally give away gifts from any ex/previous partners.

Makes it less awkward for me and also future partners.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: June 9, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.