Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Holidays in UK?

Announcements Posted on
TSR wants you: get involved with Power Hour. 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I'm looking for some advice about holidays/long weekends in England/UK. My boyfriend and I are planning a short holiday in the summer, but he hates flying and I'm really keen to see more of the UK rather than going abroad.

We're looking for somewhere with interesting things to do during the day (sightseeing, museums, walks, ect), preferably pretty cheap as neither of us have much money. Ideally somewhere with nice weather, but as it's england we're not expecting too much on that front.

We've already been to York, I go to uni in London, and we're both from Cumbria so places like the Lake District are out as well.

Any suggestions would be really appreciated!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    talacre in north wales? we have a caravan there so always there
    it's lovely! lots of places for country walks, castles nearby, the beach etc etc
    don't know about museums
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've done short trips to Leeds, manchester, nottingham and Liverpool, and found them all to be great; they have good museums, some nice walking trails and a good night life too.

my friends visited Bristol and Southampton and they've said they're both great for cultural stuff.

The Peak District is also lovely. Thought I'd throw this one in there too seeing as I've only mentioned cities above. If you're keen to do the PD then you could stay in Sheffield. I went to uni there and I love it because you've got great walking trails in the PD just on the doorstep but as a city it always feels quite cosy due to the compact city centre. The Shef Uni/Hallam student unions always have some sort of event on during term-time too.

Are you planning on staying on just one city or taking a car/train/coach to other cities too?
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StrawberryFlip)
    Hi guys,

I'm looking for some advice about holidays/long weekends in England/UK. My boyfriend and I are planning a short holiday in the summer, but he hates flying and I'm really keen to see more of the UK rather than going abroad.

We're looking for somewhere with interesting things to do during the day (sightseeing, museums, walks, ect), preferably pretty cheap as neither of us have much money. Ideally somewhere with nice weather, but as it's england we're not expecting too much on that front.

We've already been to York, I go to uni in London, and we're both from Cumbria so places like the Lake District are out as well.

Any suggestions would be really appreciated!
    Will you have a car? Scotland is totally wondrous, especially the Western Isles - marvellous scenery, peaceful, relaxed, great food. The Isle of Mull and Skye are particularly worth going to. The climate is often not that bad in early summer, very long days as well that far North.

EDIT ?? Why did I get negged for this?? Someone down on Scotland?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nishk)

Are you planning on staying on just one city or taking a car/train/coach to other cities too?
    We're planning on staying in the same place as we'll only be there for a few days, although we may have the car so could travel. We'd rather spend more time actually doing something rather than travel to other places.

I've been to Mull before and loved it (apart from the midges who loved me), would be very interested to go up to the highland as well though.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laura1234567890)
    talacre in north wales? we have a caravan there so always there
    it's lovely! lots of places for country walks, castles nearby, the beach etc etc
    don't know about museums
    Ha I'm planning on going there next month! Whats it like? How is the games sections/bowling etc? How much is the food? How far are the different places from the caravans? (I booked with hoseasons) How much is it to use one of the jacuzzi's? I'm staying in a Talacre Laurel 2, any idea on what that caravan is like?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Devon and Cornwall are both beautiful.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dgeorge)
    Ha I'm planning on going there next month! Whats it like? How is the games sections/bowling etc? How much is the food? How far are the different places from the caravans? (I booked with hoseasons) How much is it to use one of the jacuzzi's? I'm staying in a Talacre Laurel 2, any idea on what that caravan is like?
    hey i noticed you also sent a private and visitor message so i'll just reply here for you
    there's 2 arcades just nearby with bowling alleys which i haven't used but seems good. there's a game room in the park as well
    foods not that cheap tbh, there's a restaurant and chippy on site, chippy prices are average but the restaurants a bit steep, we don't eat there much
    there's 2 good pubs up the road though that serve food which is nice and nicely priced!
    by different places do you mean the castles and walking places? talacre beach is on one massive road off a main road so to get out of the road it's a bit of walk but a bus stops right outside the park often
    the walking paths are on the same road so 5 mins away, there's a really long bridal path in front of the beach and a "bird walk" which is a massive path or a little hut thing where you're meant to see lots of birds but you never do haha
    perfect if you have a dog cause a field surrounds it
    i'm not sure if you have to pay or not for the jacuzzi and pool as you're renting a caravan. it's free for me cause i'm an owner you see so i don't know
    i IMAGINE it's free for you as well though
    never seen that caravan sorry
    oh and you'll probably be on park 2, where visitors stay, i'm on park 1 where the owners are and it's much nicer! i stayed in park 2 years ago and it's alright, standard like
    but you can come into park 1 for food and the post office and stuff
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Edinburgh - huge range of stuff to do, it's not ridiculously expensive, good transport links there, and okay the weather isn't great but to be honest there isn't really anywhere in the UK with guaranteed sunshine (if only there was!)

Hope that helps
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laura1234567890)
    hey i noticed you also sent a private and visitor message so i'll just reply here for you
    there's 2 arcades just nearby with bowling alleys which i haven't used but seems good. there's a game room in the park as well
    foods not that cheap tbh, there's a restaurant and chippy on site, chippy prices are average but the restaurants a bit steep, we don't eat there much
    there's 2 good pubs up the road though that serve food which is nice and nicely priced!
    by different places do you mean the castles and walking places? talacre beach is on one massive road off a main road so to get out of the road it's a bit of walk but a bus stops right outside the park often
    the walking paths are on the same road so 5 mins away, there's a really long bridal path in front of the beach and a "bird walk" which is a massive path or a little hut thing where you're meant to see lots of birds but you never do haha
    perfect if you have a dog cause a field surrounds it
    i'm not sure if you have to pay or not for the jacuzzi and pool as you're renting a caravan. it's free for me cause i'm an owner you see so i don't know
    i IMAGINE it's free for you as well though
    never seen that caravan sorry
    oh and you'll probably be on park 2, where visitors stay, i'm on park 1 where the owners are and it's much nicer! i stayed in park 2 years ago and it's alright, standard like
    but you can come into park 1 for food and the post office and stuff
    Thanks, sorry for the spam lol. The best thing to do is to stop at Prestatyn and take a bus to the caravan park I suppose?

Don't really intend on leaving the park much, just want to stay there for the holiday. I've seen quite a bit of North Wales already, I chose Talacre mainly cause of the price. By different places I kinda mean the arcade center and if there's anything else fun to do (Also thinking about taking archery lessons)
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Anywhere in Wales is nice. Also think some places in the South are pretty cool.
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    North Wales is lovely, I live near Barmouth on the NW Wales coast and it really does seem like the perfect holiday location, you've got your restaurants, cafes, amusements and a club in Barmouth, entertainment venues on the caravan parks and campsites but you've also got lots of things to see (I highly recommend Harlech Castle, particularly if the Ardudwy Knights are there ), lots of walks if that's your thing, the beach, the weather isn't nearly as bad as people say it is (I've just been on the beach and it's boiling!) and there's museums etc too

http://www.visitsnowdonia.info/barmouth-24.aspx
    http://www.barmouth.org.uk/
    http://www.harlech.com/
    http://cadw.wales.gov.uk/daysout/harlechcastle/?lang=en

There's loads of campsites, Shell Island is the biggest in Europe but it's expensive and usually fully booked in the summer, plus one thing they tend not to tell you is that when the tide comes in, it literally becomes an island and you're cut off. There's some lovely ones in the area though, I'd recommend ones in Llanaber or Dyffryn Ardudwy as both are fairly quiet but Dyffryn is 5 miles between Barmouth and Harlech, and Llanaber is right outside of Barmouth

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: June 13, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.