Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Drawing trans -

Announcements Posted on
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    The compound [Co(ho202(Nh2ch2ch2Nh2)2]2+
    can form 3 different isomers.
    label the cis/trans isomers

I've drawn these two but wasn't sure if it is right
    (I know how to do cis but not sure for trans) please somone clarify whether my drawing is right or not

also wondered why only cis version can form optical isomerism (the trans versions cannot)

+rep
    Attached Thumbnails
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen shot 2012-06-09 at 17.57.07.png 
Views:	30 
Size:	384.0 KB 
ID:	155413   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen shot 2012-06-09 at 17.56.53.png 
Views:	29 
Size:	372.3 KB 
ID:	155414  
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    You've drawn the trans isomer twice.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it's a mistake you make by trying to be too cute. When you've drawn one, just draw the exact same thing but with two of the groups in swapped positions, rather than draw everything in a different position and start from scratch, and potentially get confused.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EierVonSatan)
    You've drawn the trans isomer twice.
    If you read my post- I mentioned I could draw cis but wasn't sure about trans

the fact that you say I've drawn trans twice that means both are acceptable for trans isomerism..

Also could you indicate why only cis isomerism can form optical isomerism
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arvin_infinity)
    If you read my post- I mentioned I could draw cis but wasn't sure about trans
    I did and it's not all that clear what you were trying to draw?

Also could you indicate why only cis isomerism can form optical isomerism
    because here the cis isomer has a non-superimposable mirror image, the trans isomer does
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:

because here the cis isomer has a non-superimposable mirror image, the trans isomer does
    I know what non-superimposable mirror image is but still don't understand what you said

I did and it's not all that clear what you were trying to draw?
    My bad..basically wanted to see if both drawing are acceptable if I was asked to draw the trans isomer
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    I know what non-superimposable mirror image is but still don't understand what you said
    Well, if you draw and reflect the trans-isomer you'll see that the reflection is the same as the original - so it's not optically active.

If you do that with the cis-isomer, you'll see that the two are different - so it is optically active.

My bad..basically wanted to see if both drawing are acceptable if I was asked to draw the trans isomer
    then yeah, either of those are fine
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well, if you draw and reflect the trans-isomer you'll see that the reflection is the same as the original - so it's not optically active.

If you do that with the cis-isomer, you'll see that the two are different - so it is optically active.

Well if we draw the mirror image of my drawing (the one on the left) , the mirror images are non-superimposable

For the other trans I drew and it's fine
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well if we draw the mirror image of my drawing (the one on the left) , the mirror images are non-superimposable

For the other trans I drew and it's fine
    I think you're just confusing yourself with the way you're drawing them, as it's the same compound if you can reflect one and not get a non-superimposable image you can't do it with the other :nah:
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think you're just confusing yourself with the way you're drawing them, as it's the same compound if you can reflect one and not get a non-superimposable image you can't do it with the other :nah:

Well am not so hung up about just answering this question..
    It's just I'am struggling to spot the complex compounds which they can form optical isomerism

do I have to look for line of symmetry and if there was one then it cannot form optical isomerism

also is it always the cis isomers that can form optical isomerism
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    So I went to look for more questions and so far no luck..It's weird how every year they ask the same question about the optical isomerism..hopefully they are gonna caryy on

Also I did another question on a different paper and this is the MS and my answer is also attached ..pls clarify if they are the same thing
    Attached Thumbnails
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen shot 2012-06-10 at 18.19.39.png 
Views:	10 
Size:	393.3 KB 
ID:	155772   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen shot 2012-06-10 at 18.09.47.png 
Views:	10 
Size:	11.6 KB 
ID:	155774  
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    So I went to look for more questions and so far no luck..It's weird how every year they ask the same question about the optical isomerism..hopefully they are gonna caryy on

Also I did another question on a different paper and this is the MS and my answer is also attached ..pls clarify if they are the same thing
    Yep looks good :yy:
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yep looks good :yy:
    Thanks for clearing that up

it's like x axis which is perpendicular to y axis
    also x axis perpendicular to z axis

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 10, 2012
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Join the TSR Halloween party...if you dare!

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.