The Student Room Group

Crooked lecturer, help please!!!

Ok Theres a lecturer ive had for quite a few modules this year, and a couple of them have gone very badly(3rd yr as well!). I had some conflict with one of the main lecturers in my subject last year and it got pretty heated. so i was quite nervous about having him for most of my 3rd yr. Esp when he is rumoured to not mark peoples assignments and simply invent marks when short on time. He even admitted this to another student.
My last few results marked by him have been much lower than i expected, while the students who follow him about keep getting above 70. As well as one of my test results being quite suspicious with feedback/taking the question paper to look at being refused!

I could not bring this up with anybody higher than him because i had no proof to back up the fact that hes been botching my marks. so i put it to the test with my last assignment by not doing it but instead submitting an old assignment on a different topic from last semester, i renamed the document and changed the title before handing it in!

I got 46% for that report! Complete with very generic feedback about my performance. I should have either got a 0 or a mention of me submitting the wrong assignment. This certainly proves he didn't even read it.

i rang the dept head and he sounded extremely worried! so he arranged for me to go in that afternoon to see one of his deputy's. I confessed everything to the deputy and showed him all the proof. he then decided to arrange an interview with this lecturer but realised he was out the country for another week.

This was 2 weeks ago, ive heard nothing from nobody and since then exam boards have met and my final result(including the fraudulent report marks) has been declared! The lecturer has also emailed the class about possible retakes and final results as if nothings happened. So hes certainly at work and does not seem like hes in trouble. i rang the deputy's secretary to ask why its taking so long, and she just said a msg will be passed on.

So what do i do now!!!? Its pretty clear the heads of dept are burying there heads in the sand over this.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by The blackfrost
Ok Theres a lecturer ive had for quite a few modules this year, and a couple of them have gone very badly(3rd yr as well!). I had some conflict with one of the main lecturers in my subject last year and it got pretty heated. so i was quite nervous about having him for most of my 3rd yr. Esp when he is rumoured to not mark peoples assignments and simply invent marks when short on time. He even admitted this to another student.
My last few results marked by him have been much lower than i expected, while the students who follow him about keep getting above 70. As well as one of my test results being quite suspicious with feedback/taking the question paper to look at being refused!

I could not bring this up with anybody higher than him because i had no proof to back up the fact that hes been botching my marks. so i put it to the test with my last assignment by not doing it but instead submitting an old assignment on a different topic from last semester, i renamed the document and changed the title before handing it in!

I got 46% for that report! Complete with very generic feedback about my performance. I should have either got a 0 or a mention of me submitting the wrong assignment. This certainly proves he didn't even read it.

i rang the dept head and he sounded extremely worried! so he arranged for me to go in that afternoon to see one of his deputy's. I confessed everything to the deputy and showed him all the proof. he then decided to arrange an interview with this lecturer but realised he was out the country for another week.

This was 2 weeks ago, ive heard nothing from nobody and since then exam boards have met and my final result(including the fraudulent report marks) has been declared! The lecturer has also emailed the class about possible retakes and final results as if nothings happened. So hes certainly at work and does not seem like hes in trouble. i rang the deputy's secretary to ask why its taking so long, and she just said a msg will be passed on.

So what do i do now!!!? Its pretty clear the heads of dept are burying there heads in the sand over this.

Unfortunately there's nothing much you can do other than what you've already done. Regardless of whether they believe you or not, it's not really in the university's interest to turn this into a big story, so chances are that he'll get told off about the marking of the wrong paper and refusing to provide feedback / let people view exam scripts, but nothing more than that. The problem is that you can't prove that he doesn't read assignments and purely awards marks based on favouritism, let alone that your own marks were substantially lower than they should have been.
Reply 2
Go to the press.

Or talk to someone from the MOE. Quite outrageous.
Reply 3
whats the MOE PSxxx? The more people i can tell the better! never heard of that.

hobnob i dont think u read the part where i said i submitted a fake report and it got a low pass mark. shouldn't an unrelated document get 0!? or at least a mention that that i didn't submit the right thing. Thats proof enough that he hasn't read mine. reason enough to assume he has done the same for others.

still ur right about about it not being in the schools best interests to make a story of it. Guess i need to catch the attention of somebody above them but the question is who!? The university's unlike school don't answer to a government regulatory board like off-stead.
Reply 4
Have you consulted the university grievence procedures? Or contacted the student union for help. They should have someone familiar with the complaints process at your university. It sounds like complaint may not have been lodge formally. There is another body you can seek redress from, but some posts indicate that it is very hard to get a satisfactory result. But you need to exhaust your universities complaints process first.

By submitting a piece of work that you previously submitted, that could cause you problems. My university makes us declare that we are not submitting work that has been previously submitted for any purpose. You could be considered to have self plagerised.
(edited 11 years ago)

Wow this is surpising to happen in a university setting. But the only thing I can suggest is if there is a higher person you could go to above your Head of department such as Principle or something that would be good. But be patient and wait another few days and keep on ringing up the person you made contact with about the issue. If they don't reply to you then go to a higher person instead. There must be an academic/pastarol care type of person to go to in your university, see if you can have a session with them and explain what you did and what's going on to them as they will know who to contact and so on. If that doesn't work then you will need to contact the exam board if you think there is foul play going on.

Good luck and I hope you get what you deserve! :biggrin:
Reply 6
hobnob i dont think u read the part where i said i submitted a fake report and it got a low pass mark. shouldn't an unrelated document get 0!? or at least a mention that that i didn't submit the right thing. Thats proof enough that he hasn't read mine. reason enough to assume he has done the same for others.

I did read that, but if anything that only proves he was marking sloppily on this one occasion. (And even then he could probably argue that he was simply looking to pass a struggling student whose work isn't always up to scratch, and because his main focus was on finding reasons for giving you a few extra marks he failed to notice it was actually an old assignment.) It doesn't prove that he routinely fails to read coursework and just makes up the marks - if questioned about the time he supposedly told this to a student he'd almost certainly say it was a joke - nor does it prove that the marks you received this year were unfair and need to be corrected. It would be a bit different if your averages were in the high 70s throughout and his were the only modules in which you kept getting marks in the 40s and 50s for no apparent reason, but if the discrepancy isn't blindingly obvious it's unlikely that your marks will get looked into.

Don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't believe you, but at the moment you really don't have much in the way of evidence - at the end of the day it's mostly just hearsay and gossip. And because of that it's still very easy to make your story look like 'disgruntled student makes groundless allegations against lecturer' rather than 'lecturer in marking scandal'.:erm: At the very least you'd need a few other students to join in your complaint.
Reply 7
u really think he would actually say he didn't notice that it was the wrong assignment.

Iam not sure what subject you study but i do automotive engineering. The assignment was on the aerodynamics of a rear spoiler. I handed in an old report report about friction of tyres.

If he dare say he didn't notice, but still read it, then that could be the last thing he ever says!

i know he could just say that he was joking to the other student, that is exactly why i never complained 6 months ago when i heard it. Nothing to go on then. A little more now don't you think.
Reply 8
sorry ed and betty, i didnt see your 2 posts up there.

self plagiarised um. Thats tricky spose the fact that i confessed it and complained about not getting a 0 would be in my favour, still all lecturers are meant to run the assignment through the plagiarism software that would have detected it! guess he didnt do that either!

whats the diff between a formal complaint and what i have done already?

Seeing the unions a good idea though. i will probs make time to see them tomora.
Reply 9
u really think he would actually say he didn't notice that it was the wrong assignment.

Iam not sure what subject you study but i do automotive engineering. The assignment was on the aerodynamics of a rear spoiler. I handed in an old report report about friction of tyres.

If he dare say he didn't notice, but still read it, then that could be the last thing he ever says!

i know he could just say that he was joking to the other student, that is exactly why i never complained 6 months ago when i heard it. Nothing to go on then. A little more now don't you think.

Well, I couldn't exactly know what your assignments were on, seeing as you didn't mention it to begin with.:erm:
I think this is a tricky situation which needs to be handled carefully. But not doing anything isn't really an option either.

One possible action would be to go to speak to the lecturer with a member of the student union there as a witness.

If the lecturer is not the OP's course leader, then perhaps going to speak to the course leader for advice might help. As one step towards a solution, not the solution itself.

Is there any real evidence that the old assignment was marked as the new. E.g. writing on it by the lecturer which identifies which assignment it is? Or is the mark posted somewhere for comparision, and there are no other 46 grades?

Be very careful about this. Your department might be appreciative of you if you are firm about insisting on being treated fairly, but are prepared to negotiate a solution that doesn't cause more than the minimum embarrassment.
Name and shame.

You might fail to get his ass fired but others certainly can. Remember, he has bene doing this for a while I cna guarantee it.

How many students has he upset and potentially ruined?
alright music tech guy.

In answer to your questions i have not got 46 in anything else this accademic year in any module. so its doubtful he can get mixed up on that.

The assignment was submitted on my universitys internal web, there was one section designated soley for that assignment and another section for the other one. Feedback was also posted on this section as well. It had the title of the assignment on top with 3 paragraphs of very generic feedback(which didnt mention it was the wrong assigment). As well as the percentage achieved it also had the indervidual marks out of 50. It said i got 23/50 marks for that report which turned into my 46%. This certainly cant be confused with the other because the other had a mark scheme out of 100!! so each assignment had a differant marking approach to it.

As for negotiating, yeh i have a feeling they will wana keep it quiet. I think ill watch law abiding citizen to get me in the negotiating mood.

In response to you Harry. I can name quite a few other students who may have had there lifes ruined thanks to him. Even one of my housemates has been disparing about him and his marks recantly. As well as one student who failed to graduate 2 years ago, who just got fed up, who hits the wall at ther very mention of his name.

But on the other side of the coin theres a select few whos lifes seem to be off to a good start thanks to him, these are usualy the ones who join his out of uni clubs and hang around with him in there spare time. Basically unlike many other indifferant lectureres this one certaily craves the attention of people dropping at his feet and a*** licking him.

As for you hobnob, u seem to be the only person accross 2 forums that seems to sypathise with him, you say things cant be proven even though i have proof. This certainly raises a few thoughts about how you might be living your life at uni. If i didnt know better(which i dont) i would say that your worried that the events of my uni could affect a certain somebody at yours. i wouldnt worry too much iam sure your lecturer marks work and u earn ur marks, well i hope so anyway!
Reply 13
Why don't you confront him when you get the chance to, instead of taking it out of proportion and getting other people involved, just ask nicely about you thinking that you should have got higher. If you firmly believe you got higher and after speaking to your lecturer, he does nothing, then go to the person above him and don't be round the edge, this is your degree we're talking about. Be firm, but not rude and try to get it resolved in an orderly manner.

btw im yr 11 lol
Reply 14
Lodging a complaint formally means putting it in writing. Setting out clearly what your issue is without any inappropriate or emotive language. You should consult your student handbook about the complaints procedure and to whom it should be submitted. It helps if you have the support of your course student rep, but if this is just an individual issue, then it is not essential. Expressing your complaint by telephoning is generally not formal and may not be recorded. Even meeting with deputy, may not have been recorded formally. It depends what the complaint procedure is.

Confronting the lecturer concerned is unlikely to be helpful. If students have been suffering in silence for years, this is why hasn't been addressed. Even if there was a disciplinary procedure in progress, you would not be privy to it, nor would it take place in as little as a month.

It is entirely possible that your 46% mark could be justified if you met the marking scheme criteria with the format of the report. The fact that you had the topic completely wrong is reflected in the loss of 54%. If you were unhappy with the marks you recieved for other assignments, you could simply have brought those to the attention of the relevant head if department and asked for a second opinion.
Reply 15
alright music tech guy.

In answer to your questions i have not got 46 in anything else this accademic year in any module. so its doubtful he can get mixed up on that.

The assignment was submitted on my universitys internal web, there was one section designated soley for that assignment and another section for the other one. Feedback was also posted on this section as well. It had the title of the assignment on top with 3 paragraphs of very generic feedback(which didnt mention it was the wrong assigment). As well as the percentage achieved it also had the indervidual marks out of 50. It said i got 23/50 marks for that report which turned into my 46%. This certainly cant be confused with the other because the other had a mark scheme out of 100!! so each assignment had a differant marking approach to it.

As for negotiating, yeh i have a feeling they will wana keep it quiet. I think ill watch law abiding citizen to get me in the negotiating mood.

In response to you Harry. I can name quite a few other students who may have had there lifes ruined thanks to him. Even one of my housemates has been disparing about him and his marks recantly. As well as one student who failed to graduate 2 years ago, who just got fed up, who hits the wall at ther very mention of his name.

But on the other side of the coin theres a select few whos lifes seem to be off to a good start thanks to him, these are usualy the ones who join his out of uni clubs and hang around with him in there spare time. Basically unlike many other indifferant lectureres this one certaily craves the attention of people dropping at his feet and a*** licking him.

As for you hobnob, u seem to be the only person accross 2 forums that seems to sypathise with him, you say things cant be proven even though i have proof. This certainly raises a few thoughts about how you might be living your life at uni. If i didnt know better(which i dont) i would say that your worried that the events of my uni could affect a certain somebody at yours. i wouldnt worry too much iam sure your lecturer marks work and u earn ur marks, well i hope so anyway!

I really don't think that is a fair comment towards hobnob. As far I can see they have not been sympathetic towards the lecturer and (in my opinion anyhow) I think they have given you fairly sound and realistic advice. Yes, your assignment test suggests that he has not marked this assignment accurately, however as hobnob said this does not necessarily prove to an independent onlooker that all the work he has marked for all students is biased based on favouritism.

As has already been suggested, if you want to strengthen your accusation it would be best to get other students involved. I know when there was upset about the marking of a particular lecturer at my university, action was only taken when a big group of students got together and submitted a group complaint.
Reply 16

What on earth makes you think I sympathise with your lecturer?:confused: If your lecturer marks assignments completely at random without even reading then, then obviously that's a disgrace, and I can't see how anyone would view this differently.
All I'm saying is that it's not in the department's interest to let this turn into a big story, so they'll do everything they can to avoid firing this guy and hush it all up, and that means they're likely to turn on you instead. Because of that you need to be very careful not to make any allegations against him for which you don't have concrete evidence, otherwise you'll make it easy for them to paint you as a student with a grudge. The wrong assignment that he marked without comment is something, but it may not be enough to force the department to take action against this guy.
So it's simple.

We kill the lecturer.
Wow Its almost been a year since this thread and so much has happened. Firstly, sorry Hobnob for being overzealous about a few things. It was a very stressful time. I will now explain what happened it’s a very long story though, and this only covers a fraction of it. Think the moral of the story is not to take any crap off your university and to always stick up for yourself.

Shortly after my posts here last year, it was another 2 weeks before the head of school got back to me with the worst brush off letter known to man. Conveniently it came weeks after the exam board had declared final results, and after the time it was too late to request a formal review. Despite the fact that the school head and board chairman(who was the deputy head mentioned) were the first to know and practically told me not to bother anymore, as it’s a matter of academic judgment.
I didn’t attend the retake for that module as it was an assessed practical with the troubled lecturer although I repeatedly tried to contact the people at the top to no avail, to say how uncomfortable I am with him assessing me. This was ignored and shortly after the retake exam board id receive a letter which encouraged me to take an exit award!!

So everything was done to cover up this lecturer’s disgrace and business went on as usual. I went to the students union, who said I could take it further, but they were pessimistic at this point as they said I was dealing with bureaucratic people who will just quote meaningless regulations at you when brushing you off. This gave me an idea though, id play there game and be much better at it.
I took it to the next level formally and they said it would be the end of summer before I would get a response, probs hoping id drop out during that time, I used that time to memorize every square millimetre of the university’s contract, as well as reading up on law that was relevant.

The next stage was very heated, they tried numerous times to catch me out on procedures and rules etc, but by this stage I knew them better than they did, and they ended up shooting themselves in the foot when I discovered they didn’t even stick to there own procedures for dealing with this. Plus regulations on marks/feedback were not followed. I then got hold of information via legal requests like exam board minutes and external reports. From this I found out that the first investigator (the duputy head) lied to me. He said things were delayed due to the lecturer being out the country and I had proof of this in an email. The exam board minutes said otherwise, showing them in the same room 3 days later. I also found out that one of other unreturned assessments, from the same lecturer was disposed off,! I demanded its release and when they said it was missing again, I reported it to the information commissioner as a failure to comply with my request and mishandling of my personal data. I also got the QAA to investigate the university after giving them the exam board minutes and commenting on the lack of external attendance. Didn’t go as far as I hoped but they did write to the vice chancellor, having a little go at him.

I had nothing to loose to I tried everything I could think of that would make the schools life as difficult as possible. Exposing every piece of dirty laundry that I could find.

The school eventually said they would concede to my complaint demands as dealing with me turned out to be more trouble than they expected. It was agreed that the modules I would do to replace the troubled double module, would be regarded as first sittings and not retakes, and the grade caps would be removed. It was also agreed that the troubled lecturer would never teach me again, and another module was then re-staffed. The vice chancellor then promised a review into assessment practice within my school.

The school head then tried to put me into a disciplinary for misconduct but he didn’t get very far and I heard nothing more of this. A rather desperate act really.

It was far from over though, I didn’t trust anybody who ran the university at that point, after all that had happened. I even spotted a way they could reverse there promised resolution. So the next few months were very edgy but at least I could keep the 2.1 grades from that semester instead of being capped at a 3rd.

Something very surprising happened after that though, I went to a friends house one evening for pre-drinks and he told me my story about the wrong assignment was in the local paper! I didn’t believe him as I had not contacted anybody in the media. But he showed me the article!! I couldn’t believe it! A journalist had read my facebook posts about it and published it. It shared the same article about another student’s posts about being arrested, it didn’t have my name or the lecturers name on it, but it was there!!!

The following day a note went up to say the lecturer was off sick, 2 weeks later he had handed in his resignation. The school head tried to explain in a lecture that he resigned to take on additional projects, and that he has only resigned from being a teacher. We all had difficulty believing this as it had happened mid year and 4 modules were left without a teacher. One was scrapped completely and the students on it had to pick a new module mid semester! The lecturers twitter had loads of comments about doom and gloom in his native language and also talked about working with idiots. All of which contradicts the school head's cover story, especially when no additional projects appeared on the research portal.

I also spoke to a girl I know in the marketing department 2 days after the paper, she knew nothing of my case and I pretended not to know, she informed me that the head of PR personally took over the matter and that others were contacting faculty’s to verify that the story was false, which certainly made me laugh as they would get a shock when they rang mine. The lecturers resignation could have had something to do with that. But to this day I don’t officially know.

Students on his modules suffered immensely because they had no teacher or any lectures for 2 months. Many blamed me for this some even threatened me saying that I had ruined there degree. Many people complained to the school about the way they had been treated, at least 20 did. The school brushed them off with a stupid letter. Thankfully those that didn’t hate me accepted my help, as I was an expert in dealing with university matters now. 4 of them managed to bypass the school and get the attention of the vice chancellor.

So its an amazing turn of events but I have certainly upset a lot of people which makes me very edgy while the exam boards are going on. Last week I saw one deputy head, who I am normally friendly with, in the smoking area and despite saying hello several times he completely ignored me and just walked back inside.
I get the feeling I am not mr popular.

Still what was i sposed to do?!
(edited 10 years ago)
I think you were very brave and did the right thing. It's a shame that the lecturer had to resign, but ultimately, it wasn't your fault that they weren't doing their job properly. Well done!

Quick Reply

Latest