Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

C4 WJEC Vectors help?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, I've been told vectors are easy but I really can't get my head around them Here's a question I'm trying to do from the 2007 paper:

9. (a) The position vectors of the points A and B, relative to a fixed origin O, are i + 3j – 2k and 3i + 6j + k, respectively.
    (i) Find AB.
    (ii) Find the vector equation of the line AB.
    (iii) The vector equation of the line L is r = 2i + 3j + 7k + μ (i + j + 4k).
    Given that L and AB intersect, find the position vector of the point of intersection.
    (b) Find the angle between the vectors i + 2j – k and 3i – j + 2k.

for 9) i) am I right in thinking you have to use (i - 3i)^2 + (3j - 6j)^2 + (-2k - k)^2 and then take the square root of that? So 3j + 3k - 2?

For 9) ii) I think you have to use "r = a + tb". a and b here would be the lines i + 3j – 2k and 3i + 6j + k? What is t?

And as for the rest I have no idea. Thanks in advance
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Draco56)
    Hi there, I've been told vectors are easy but I really can't get my head around them Here's a question I'm trying to do from the 2007 paper:

9. (a) The position vectors of the points A and B, relative to a fixed origin O, are i + 3j – 2k and 3i + 6j + k, respectively.
    (i) Find AB.
    (ii) Find the vector equation of the line AB.
    (iii) The vector equation of the line L is r = 2i + 3j + 7k + μ (i + j + 4k).
    Given that L and AB intersect, find the position vector of the point of intersection.
    (b) Find the angle between the vectors i + 2j – k and 3i – j + 2k.

for 9) i) am I right in thinking you have to use (i - 3i)^2 + (3j - 6j)^2 + (-2k - k)^2 and then take the square root of that? So 3j + 3k - 2?
    No, to find the direction vector, you just have to subtract OA from OB or the other way round.
    For 9) ii) I think you have to use "r = a + tb". a and b here would be the lines i + 3j – 2k and 3i + 6j + k? What is t?
    a could be either position vector of A or position vector of B. b is the direction vector of AB(which you're being asked in part (i)), and t is just a parameter.

And as for the rest I have no idea. Thanks in advance
    Put vector equation of AB equal to vector equation of L, and find values of parameters μ and t by solving the simultaneous equations. Do you know the formula to find angle between two lines? The one which uses dot/scalar product?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Cheers! Gimme a minute and I'll see what answer I get.

Okay so:

a) i) 2i + 3j = 3k
    ii) r = i + 3j - 2k + t(2i + 3j + 3k)
    iii) -i - 5k
    b) 96.3

Correct?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Cheers! Gimme a minute and I'll see what answer I get.

Okay so:

a) i) 2i + 3j = 3k
    ii) r = i + 3j - 2k + t(2i + 3j + 3k)
    iii) -i - 5k
    b) 96.3

Correct?
    All are correct, except your answer to (b). Did you use \cos \theta = \dfrac{\vec{AB}\cdot \vec{L}}{|\vec{AB}||\vec{L}|}? That gives me an angle of 31.3 degrees.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zishi)
    All are correct, except your answer to (b). Did you use \cos \theta = \dfrac{\vec{AB}\cdot \vec{L}}{|\vec{AB}||\vec{L}|}? That gives me an angle of 31.3 degrees.
    I used that formula, but why AB and L? The question tells us to use i + 2j - k and 3i - j + 2k? Unless those are AB and L in this case and I did the calculations wrong. I did:

(1 x 3) + (2 x -1) + (2 x -1)
    ----------------------------------------------
    sqrt(1^2 + 2^2 - 1^2)*sqrt(3^2 - 1^2 + 2^2)

Then took the inverse cos.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I used that formula, but why AB and L? The question tells us to use i + 2j - k and 3i - j + 2k? Unless those are AB and L in this case and I did the calculations wrong. I did:

(1 x 3) + (2 x -1) + (2 x -1)
    ----------------------------------------------
    sqrt(1^2 + 2^2 - 1^2)*sqrt(3^2 - 1^2 + 2^2)

Then took the inverse cos.
    Ah, I didn't read the question again, so I thought that it was asking for the angle between AB and L. Anyway, you answer of 96.3 degrees is correct then.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ah I see Thanks a lot for the help!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 10, 2012
New on TSR

THE world university rankings 2014-2015 revealed

Will they affect your uni choices?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.