Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Are Set 6 students likely to pass Maths?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beebumble)
    I agree that many working class kids are not made aware university was an option. My own family are acting like I've betrayed them by going to university (although this may be jealousy because their kids had no interest). My parents too taught me to read from a young age which was great for my English skills but obviously gave me no understanding of Maths! Maybe your school was like mine where they automatically put bad kids with 'slow' ones. I think that's one of the main problems with many schools those who do want to learn are put in a classroom with those who don't.

It's not all to do with the parents. Of course they have some input in their child's education but some cannot help if their child is underachieving and it's wrong to assume that if their child is not doing well it's because they're down the pub!
    Obviously I don't believe all of their parents are down the pub, as I said before I was making a point. I understand that some children are just not academic but they are still being hindered by the children of the incompetent parents who should also be educated on how to bring up kids. Those kids are probably underachieving because so much lesson time is being devoted to the disruptive ones. Maths is essential and I'm sure everyone should at least be able to achieve a C (except if they have a learning disability of some kind)
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kwaku_96)
    My Sociology revision class were talking about setting and streaming and my teacher said that those in lower sets for Maths would most likely fail the subject. Do you think being in a bottom set puts student at a disadvantage? When students are placed in bottom sets, do you think teachers give up on them? I'd really like to know what everyone's opinions are.
    It depends on the quality of the teachers. My schools maths department is (fairly) competent. We have a Top Set, and a Middle/Bottom set combined ( There are several classes though, so their is always 25 in 1 class.

The top set do additional maths while the rest do normal maths. I prefer just doing normal maths, as we concentrate just on GCSE topics to make sure that everyone has a full understanding, whereas in the top set, if you don't understand the topic, it is almost 99% likely that the rest of the class have, and the teacher will move on, because it is not one-to-one, so they cannot explain to you individually.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    At my school the majority weren't very good at maths :lol:

Top set (my set) and second set in year 9 got entered into a maths GCSE early.
    And in year 11 more than half of the class were still trying to get their C whilst the people who got their C were trying to prepare for A/A* :lol: I was aiming for an A* but because we were top set and only 8 of us had a C or higher, we were still learning C grade work a week before our exam because our teacher taught what the majority wanted... even though we had been learning the same thing for 2 years and the class failed miserably about 3 times ¬¬ The 8 of us who had passed all sat next to each other and tried to help each other learn the content and then we got told off for not doing the assigned work :mad:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well, by being surrounded by people who aren't very good at maths/aren't prepared to work at maths, isn't exactly going to encourage anyone. But It all depends on the school and the kids if the kids pass. At my school everyone passed maths in my year.

On another note...you have a set 6? We only went to 4!
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm was in set 6 out of 12 for year 10 and 11. I used be in set 1 out of 6 in year 8 and 9 for everything before so I have no idea how catastrophically I must've done in some tests to move down 6 sets in everything, but then again I didn't really care and didn't revise at all then.

Anyway, set 6 students are not only likely to 'pass' maths but they can even walk out with A's/A*'s, it just depends on the effort levels of the individual student. I got an A in my class and some others did, they vary between A's to D's and we often perform much better than the above sets. Sets aren't a good indicator of a students ability at all. I was moved down 6 sets for English and predicted a B. Exam results came and I surprisingly walked out with an A* and only me in set 6 and a boy in set 1 who used to be in my class in the below years got it.

Sets mean nothing, not in my school anyway.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    iv had the same teacher for 3 years and hes ok but i never get the best teacher who work with the top set. Middle set should get the better teachers so that the student will work better because most of the students in my glass dont care about maths. If i do good in a class they all call me sweaty and i dont care.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 2, 2014
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.