Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Transporting desktop computer

Announcements Posted on
Complete this short survey for a chance to win an iPad mini! 22-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    So I've applied to Newcastle University, for starting in Sep 2012 for a Computer Science course, and over the Summer I've decided to build a computer for my studies/entertainment/gaming.

I'm just wondering how practical it is to transport this desktop and monitor back and forth between Uni and home considering I will have clothes and everything else to bring with me.

I live in Manchester so it's a 2.5 - 3 hours drive to Newcastle, so it's not like I can make multiple trips. But I will be transporting it back for Christmas, Easter and Summer.

The main reason I say this is because my parents are freaking out saying "Where will it go!? Why don't you just get a laptop!?" and I'm just like

So, do any of you transport a desktop to and from Uni regularly or have any advice for me?

Also, sorry if this is in the wrong forum but to be honest, I don't have a clue where else it would go xD

Cheers!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Transported my desktop once and it's HUGE. It can be done but i'd advise to get a smaller case. I got my case thinking i'd never have to move (HAF X).
    Something like the Fractal Define R3 would probably be more suitable.
    The chair is a bitch to fit though.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nagillum)
    So I've applied to Newcastle University, for starting in Sep 2012 for a Computer Science course, and over the Summer I've decided to build a computer for my studies/entertainment/gaming.

I'm just wondering how practical it is to transport this desktop and monitor back and forth between Uni and home considering I will have clothes and everything else to bring with me.

I live in Manchester so it's a 2.5 - 3 hours drive to Newcastle, so it's not like I can make multiple trips. But I will be transporting it back for Christmas, Easter and Summer.

The main reason I say this is because my parents are freaking out saying "Where will it go!? Why don't you just get a laptop!?" and I'm just like

So, do any of you transport a desktop to and from Uni regularly or have any advice for me?

Also, sorry if this is in the wrong forum but to be honest, I don't have a clue where else it would go xD

Cheers!
    I'm in the same situation but I've gone for it My case is a midi-tower rather than a full tower but it's still pretty massive. It depends whether you'll be getting a lift to/from university during the holidays. You certainly don't want to be carting it around the train IMO.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If your really that concerned about it, box hire companies sometimes offer special boxes for desktop computers.

Or, save yourself some money and wrap it a duvet and jam the monitor etc in between some pillows

I move all the time and thats what I do with my iMac and have plenty of room for everything else.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've got my desktop with me at uni. Going from Newcastle to Loughborough its about 4 hours drive. As long as its sat fairly stable (if in doubt you could always strap it in) and don't aim for every pothole on the way it'll be fine. Monitor you'll need to be careful with but if you wrap it in, say, a duvet or put it in the footwell of your car and make sure it's not going to bash into anything should you end up braking harshly.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Well HOPEFULLY I'll never have to move my chair, as the room will have one, but I can only imagine how frustrating that would be :P

But yeah this is the case I'm looking at:
    http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/c...value-red.html
    So hopefully I should be fine!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Protip: Keep the box and polystyrene that the case gets delivered in
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    So basically I will be fine regarding space when moving it, as long as I am sensible and keep it well-protected throughout the journey?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hassi94)
    I'm in the same situation but I've gone for it My case is a midi-tower rather than a full tower but it's still pretty massive. It depends whether you'll be getting a lift to/from university during the holidays. You certainly don't want to be carting it around the train IMO.
    Yeah, I suspect my parents don't want me carting everything home on a train at the holidays, so they seem pretty up for giving me a lift seeing as its like 6 times a year or so.
    What case have you bought just out of interest
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I suspect my parents don't want me carting everything home on a train at the holidays, so they seem pretty up for giving me a lift seeing as its like 6 times a year or so.
    What case have you bought just out of interest
    Yeah my parents said the same And it's this case + PSU bundle that I went for: http://www.ebuyer.com/270605-cm-stor...-1000-kwa-650w

Really nice, feature-full case and feels very sturdy.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    So basically I will be fine regarding space when moving it, as long as I am sensible and keep it well-protected throughout the journey?
    As long as it'll fit in your parents' car. Consider buying a cheap netbook for the Christmas and Easter holidays though - or just keeping whatever you're using now at home, because when it comes down to it you might not want the hassle of packing it all up again.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Yeah my parents said the same And it's this case + PSU bundle that I went for: http://www.ebuyer.com/270605-cm-stor...-1000-kwa-650w

That's pretty good for that price, I'm still a bit undecided on the case I'm getting

(Original post by TheFatController)
    As long as it'll fit in your parents' car. Consider buying a cheap netbook for the Christmas and Easter holidays though - or just keeping whatever you're using now at home, because when it comes down to it you might not want the hassle of packing it all up again.
    Yeah, I don't plan on throwing this laptop away just in case, plus it's a fairly old machine now so I might as well keep it
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:

I bought that case only, safe to say it's bigger than i expected, but it's so quiet with the front fans and the window looks great in real life. also worth adding it's pretty sturdy
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrshinyshoes)
    I bought that case only, safe to say it's bigger than i expected, but it's so quiet with the front fans and the window looks great in real life. also worth adding it's pretty sturdy
    I'm looking into that deal now, works out about £2 dearer but it's upgrading the 500W PSU I was gonna get to 650W and if you all say its a very reliable case....
    hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camoxide)
    Transported my desktop once and it's HUGE. It can be done but i'd advise to get a smaller case. I got my case thinking i'd never have to move (HAF X).
    Something like the Fractal Define R3 would probably be more suitable.
    The chair is a bitch to fit though.
    I have a fractal R3 and thought mine was pretty heavy and big O_O is there actually that much of a difference between the HAF X and the R3 that you would consider the R3 to be more mobile for your hardware?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking into that deal now, works out about £2 dearer but it's upgrading the 500W PSU I was gonna get to 650W and if you all say its a very reliable case....
    hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    I bought my case and psu seperatly, i got an antec true power psu which is semi modular which i love but I'd look for a deal if I were you can't help thinking I could have saved a few quid.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ELs123)
    I have a fractal R3 and thought mine was pretty heavy and big O_O is there actually that much of a difference between the HAF X and the R3 that you would consider the R3 to be more mobile for your hardware?
    HAF X is basically as tall as a desk and the case weighs 20KG on its own. So yes :P
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    if you'll be travelling by car whats the issue?

just leave most of ur clothes at uni anyway... i only take a small kitbag of clothes and my laptop home with me during holidays
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camoxide)
    HAF X is basically as tall as a desk and the case weighs 20KG on its own. So yes :P
    Good god lol. It was that or the R3 for me. Maybe for uni a case that big would have been a good option since you know nobody will ever steal it :P
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've got an Antec 300 and a 24" monitor.

Shift from Oxford to Bristol.

Only ever really take enough clothes for 4 weeks, my computer and my sub & speakers. All fits in car with room to spare and I drive a hatchback.

A friend of mine takes the above and another monitor and his mountain bike to London in a Fiat Punto.

Basically if you have a car it's simple. Maybe keep to midtower design unless you really don't mind carrying it to and from the car.

Finally, if you do decide to go desktop. Keep the case box and the polystyrene. Very useful in transport.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 11, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.