Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Getting software onto a netbook

Announcements Posted on
Applying to uni this year? Check out our new personal statement advice hub 28-11-2014
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,
    I am thinking of buying a netbook soon (already got a good laptop, but its heavy and big and unwieldy, so I'd be using it as a home computer, and doing most of my work on it and just occasionally using the netbook for travel). Before I do I want to check if I can get my existing Office software onto it? I presume netbooks don't have cd drives, right? My copy of Office is a set of discs. So might it be possible to download it from the Microsoft website by using the product licence of the copy I own?
    Thanks.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    This should solve your problem: http://www.microsoft.com/office/down...s/Default.aspx

Download and install on the netbook and then enter the activation key which came with your product :yes:
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VBQ)
    This should solve your problem: http://www.microsoft.com/office/down...s/Default.aspx

Download and install on the netbook and then enter the activation key which came with your product :yes:
    Thanks a lot!
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    Other option is to get an external CD/DVD drive, comes in handy tbh, costs around £10-15.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spikeymike)
    Other option is to get an external CD/DVD drive, comes in handy tbh, costs around £10-15.
    I'll bear it in mind!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I bought an external disc drive with my Nectar points as anti-virus programmes are cheaper and cover multiple PC's if you buy them on disc.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    I just tried to download Office on a new netbook, but it says my product key is false :confused: I've typed it really carefully and I've only had it installed on two other laptops
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    I just tried to download Office on a new netbook, but it says my product key is false :confused: I've typed it really carefully and I've only had it installed on two other laptops
    Definitely a 3 computer license? :holmes:
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spikeymike)
    Definitely a 3 computer license? :holmes:
    No :facepalm: Just checked that out. Its Office Professional, and only licensed for two :cry:

Bugger!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    Thanks a lot!
    You're welcome :yes:

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 14, 2012
New on TSR

Vote for your favourite Christmas film

Win a bundle of Xmas DVDs

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.