Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Online Poker: best site/sites to play on?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    following on from my last thread about where to begin- http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1994985

what are the best sites to play on for poker, for real money? i have heard that the best sites are pokerstars and partypoker but i am looking for some feedback on these sites and any other sites out there. what are the best sites to play on? thanks!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    bump!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    anyone?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Movember)
    following on from my last thread about where to begin- http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1994985

what are the best sites to play on for poker, for real money? i have heard that the best sites are pokerstars and partypoker but i am looking for some feedback on these sites and any other sites out there. what are the best sites to play on? thanks!
    Pokerstars Is by far the best site, it has the biggest tournaments and by far a profitable place to play if your good,

Do you have much poker experience? If your a beginner I'd start off at sky poker, level of play is easier while u learn the ropes, once u build ur bankroll I'd then move to pokerstars
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Just don't do it
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KillForOreos)
    Just don't do it
    why not?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Playing poker for money is stupid, but playing just for the entertainment, that's okay. How are you playing?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    PokerStars is a good place to play only if you will be able to keep up supernova or supernova elite every month, which is very not easy for players who play on limits under nl100.

...Until you play like Nanonoko
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Playing poker for money is stupid, but playing just for the entertainment, that's okay. How are you playing?
    may i ask why it is stupid? what makes you qualified to say that? do you understand poker at all? if you are good then in the long run you will profit.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Skypoker is good, you can get free tourny's at certain times. Or you could try full tilt, they have massive tourny's where the winner gets invited to real life tournys!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Obviously I am being judgemental but I know a few people that play Poker and just lose money from it. I don't really need to justify my reason.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AverageExcellence)
    Skypoker is good, you can get free tourny's at certain times. Or you could try full tilt, they have massive tourny's where the winner gets invited to real life tournys!
    Full Tilt is dead for like a year now.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Obviously I am being judgemental but I know a few people that play Poker and just lose money from it. I don't really need to justify my reason.
    like i thought, you have anecdotal evidence of rubbish players irl who probably dont take the game very seriously. you're extrapolating from a few players and coming to the conclusion 'lolz everyone loses at poker, dont do it!!!11!!1!'. if they tried much harder, reading up on tactics, strategies, devoting hours and hours to the game to strive to be better, then they could become winning players. dont assume everyone loses.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Once you've got your bankroll sorted, Pokerstars is probably your best bet (no pun intended). You can use play chips until you're comfortable of course, and the VIP reward system is pretty good when you get going.

Bear in mind though that when you play with play chips, the quality of opponent and playing style is very different from real cash/tourny games.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Movember)
    if they tried much harder, reading up on tactics, strategies, devoting hours and hours to the game to strive to be better, then they could become winning players.
    Keep in mind that not anyone can be a winning player. However almost everyone think that they can but it is only an illusion. In fact about 1% play in plus , 9% play in zero and 90 percent of players lose. To be one of that people from 1 winning percent you need to have special set of mind , greatest talent , strongest self control and hundreds of hours of work before you start earning. Believe me it's not easy. It's as hard as becoming top 1 percent in any other field. However in poker you don't have any guarantees. Imagine that poker is banned and all your life you was living on earnings from it and since it was good income source you had no need to learn anything else and now all skills you have is playing a card game. Not good situation ,right? So think carefully before starting poker seriously because it can be quite disappointing. Another thing is playing it for extra-income but again - believe me you won't make any money from poker without hard work. So either go all in and spend next year learning strategies and gaining experience or just forget about it and play for fun which is what i am doing :rolleyes:

I hope you will find this helpful.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benq)
    Keep in mind that not anyone can be a winning player. However almost everyone think that they can but it is only an illusion. In fact about 1% play in plus , 9% play in zero and 90 percent of players lose. To be one of that people from 1 winning percent you need to have special set of mind , greatest talent , strongest self control and hundreds of hours of work before you start earning. Believe me it's not easy. It's as hard as becoming top 1 percent in any other field. However in poker you don't have any guarantees. Imagine that poker is banned and all your life you was living on earnings from it and since it was good income source you had no need to learn anything else and now all skills you have is playing a card game. Not good situation ,right? So think carefully before starting poker seriously because it can be quite disappointing. Another thing is playing it for extra-income but again - believe me you won't make any money from poker without hard work. So either go all in and spend next year learning strategies and gaining experience or just forget about it and play for fun which is what i am doing :rolleyes:

I hope you will find this helpful.

where did you get those % figures from?

I'd say it's a higher figure, and it's definitely a lot higher amongst those who care/try.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    As for the topic pokerstars is the best site to play on, it has the best reward system and biggest selection of games and the most games at any one time

However due to this it's where all the best players play, who generally play 16-24 tables, so the games are harder to beat than on the lesser sites.

So it depends how good you are and how much you want to play and how many tables you can play at once, for mid-low amounts of volume the lesser sites give better bonuses.

Seeing as you're a beginner i'd recommend ipoker, i.e william hill
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ste_mc_efc)
    where did you get those % figures from?
    From article on pokerstrategy. This 1% is stable players who every month win 5k+
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Pokerstars is the best in my opinion. Best layout, much less time focusing on finding games and more playing. Yes there are a lot of good players multi tabling, but if you are wise and recognise this you will find they play very much 'bot' poker, and you can too exploit this.

The MicroMillions is coming up soon too, which gives big guaranteed pools for small buy ins, which is a big bonus!

The main key is bank roll management however, a phrase we all don't really want to hear as poker players. I've got the beating of players at 25/50 cash even 50/1, but not the bank roll. As soon as you get dealt KK and run into AA, or get rivered which will happen, unless you've took adequate management on your bankroll no matter how good you have played, it's erased just like that. I know this, yet I continue to play above my roll for fun... Taking it serious when I get a proper bankroll in September!

Good luck at the tables!
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    I hear 888poker has some pretty awful players on that can be exploited.

Pokerstars is certainly the most user friendly, but equally has the best players.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: February 28, 2013
New on TSR
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.