Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Blade Runner 2

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone else feeling torn about the whole idea of revisiting the Blade Runner universe?

I'm a diehard Blade Runner fan, it's certainly one of the best science fiction films ever produced and of course I love Phillip K Dick's work. However, I'm not really sure about the idea of BR2. The ending of Blade Runner was filled with ambiguity, it almost required further thought and discussion but is it really necessary to create a sequel? Can't we just leave it alone?

Whilst I have faith in Sir Ridley Scott, I would really hate to see a Blade Runner sequel turn into the next Phantom Menace or just another generic Hollywood reboot.

What do you guys think?
    • 163 followers

I worry about this obsessive Hollywood culture for making sequels and franchises out of anything. Blade Runner doesn't need a sequel. It's just perfect the way it is. A sequel would just re-tread the same ground as the first.

What may work is a film set in that universe which is neither a direct prequel or sequel and explores different themes or the same themes in a very different way. But I'm very doubtful about what they are proposing.
    • 36 followers

I'm ****ing terrified about this, tbh - I think it's a terrible idea.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Some films are meant to be standalone. It's like making a sequel to TGTBTU....what's the point?

I'm not so trusting of Ridley Scott. He was happy enough to accept a mediocre script in Prometheus.
    • 58 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    I worry about this obsessive Hollywood culture for making sequels and franchises out of anything.
    I don't see this as being the issue here at all. Marvel greenlighting every Avengers movie they can think of because they've got a proven audience, whereas the only way to ensure retention of the Blade Runner audience would be to rerelease the film in cinemas. Sequels aren't easy money for 30 year old films in the same way that reboots are - if anything, they're frowned upon because you could be alienating a large chunk of your audience simply because they didn't see the original. So if a sequel is made it's not so much a case of Hollywood just churning along the franchise badwagon, but rather the continued obsession of one man over his magnum opus. Just look how many times he has recut it.

That's not to say I think it would necessarily be a good film. I suspect it would end up being what Reloaded is to the Matrix, making overt stabs at profundity that make no sense and completely missing the point of why the original was a success. The fact that Ridley Scott believes there is no ambiguity in the film emphasises that in my mind.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Fully expect a similar (if not identical) reaction to that of Prometheus when this is out
    • 52 followers

I think it's an awful idea. Should be left stand-alone I didn't know about a proposed sequel until this thread. :facepalm2:
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    To be honest I'm not looking forward to it. Prometheus was awful and destroyed any confidence I had in Ridley Scott.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 10, 2012
New on TSR

A-level results day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki film section

Quick link:

Unanswered film threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.