Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A Year To Lose Weight - ideas?

Announcements Posted on
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twelvepenguinbugs)
    As stated above, weight loss is just maths, calories in - calories out, even if you just ate a pizza a day or whatever you will lose weight.
    No it isn't, you both clearly know nothing about diets. You're not going to gain weight by eating fat and protein, it's carbs/excess sugar that is stored as fat when your glycogen stores are filled up. Don't listen to these people saying just count calories and eat whatever you want. Cut back on carbohydrates (grains, starchy tubers, high glycemic fruits, high sugar processed foods etc.), and base your diet on fat and protein, then if necessary count calories, but you shouldn't need to as fat is a much more efficient source of energy and should fill you up. By fats I mean good fats like saturated fat, monounsaturated fat, omega 3, not PUFA's/vegetable oils and definitely not trans fats.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeneralOJB)
    No it isn't, you both clearly know nothing about diets. You're not going to gain weight by eating fat and protein, it's carbs/excess sugar that is stored as fat when your glycogen stores are filled up. Don't listen to these people saying just count calories and eat whatever you want. Cut back on carbohydrates (grains, starchy tubers, high glycemic fruits, high sugar processed foods etc.), and base your diet on fat and protein, then if necessary count calories, but you shouldn't need to as fat is a much more efficient source of energy and should fill you up. By fats I mean good fats like saturated fat, monounsaturated fat, omega 3, not PUFA's/vegetable oils and definitely not trans fats.
    This is absolute nonsense lol, people lose weight just eating fast food. I have no idea where you're getting your info from but weight loss is just maths.
    Of course you get to eat MORE when you eat more veg/fruit/good protein and your overall health will be better but mass wise, it really does not matter.
    Body mass and health are two different things
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    As you can see from all the dissent above, this isn't the best places to be making decisions about weight because everyone has a different opinion! I would go to a nutritionist/GP as they are actually qualified

But to put my two cents in.. there is a difference between thin and healthy. Just eat a balanced, small meal. Have smaller plates, it looks like theres more on the plate (sounds stupid but it genuinely works amazingly - I have pasta in bowls instead of a plate and I eat about half!)
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _becca)
    As you can see from all the dissent above, this isn't the best places to be making decisions about weight because everyone has a different opinion! I would go to a nutritionist/GP as they are actually qualified

But to put my two cents in.. there is a difference between thin and healthy. Just eat a balanced, small meal. Have smaller plates, it looks like theres more on the plate (sounds stupid but it genuinely works amazingly - I have pasta in bowls instead of a plate and I eat about half!)
    Don't do this, the vast majority of nutritionists and dietitians are highly misinformed.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    ^ True but there's ways to do it more efficiently. I personally have experimented with various foods and i personally feel like clean food affects body composition positively.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dayganna)
    Hi,

So I'm 15 stone, 5'6". Female. My legs are all muscle, due to my activities, and I have quite a bit of muscle on my arms. But I am overweight plentyfold. I would like to reach 11 stone (at least) by summer 2013.
    I'm starting a new life in a different country and don't want to be "the fat one" anymore, you know?

I'm someone who likes to do things on my own - so weight loss "community groups" don't do anything for me.
    And, of course being a student, I don't have a lot of money to spare. I can afford a gym membership come September... but I work 4 days a week, with the other 3 days at university - and all days I don't get home until 7pm ish, and then I walk/run my dogs for 2 hours. So, realistically, I don't have time for the gym.
    It'd be nice if I could keep to the activity levels I already have - but I might add in a fast walk or bike ride in the mornings eventually.
    I would run, I LOVE running - but my boobs are GG/H and the best of sports bras aren't enough to stop the strain and pain on them when I run. Further to that, I have no cartilage in one knee and damaged cartilage in the other - so excessive exercise involving my knees (which is basically every day) results in fluid build-up, swelling and stiffness. YAY >.<

I've come here for any advice really. Please no meanness?

I'm pescetarian (eat fish), but happy to go vegan or full vegetarian if someone knows a good diet. But I can't go back to eating all meat. Makes me ill for some reason. I have a severe intolerance to potassium - so anything with banana is out because it might literally kill me.
    I have a mild peanut allergy.
    I don't really drink milk - having maybe a glass a week, if that. I don't drink tea or coffee either.
    I drink about a litre of water a day, and the other litre is in food and such.

I HATE curry. And anything spicy.
    I HATE muesli. (sp?)
    I HATE celery.

I love vegetables.
    I love fruit.
    I love chocolate (my downfall).
    I love potatoes
    I love to try new things.

I definitely know that it is carbs and chocolate. But, let's face it, they are both convenient foods to grab and go.
    Convenience is important because I'm busy.

But I'm willing to give anything a new go, as enough is enough and I've reach 'breaking point' shall we say.

So any thought? I don't mind quick fix or long term - and I'm happy to have to prepare meals myself.

Thank you for any advice/tips/weight loss ideas.
    I've been doing the reverse, putting on weight & muscle, with great success, but it's has the same main component to it: Dedication.

You will need to change your lifestyle to lose the weight as your current lifestyle got you to your weight. And you need to be honest with yourself. Your legs will not be all muscle, guarenteed, unless they look like the legs of these women:

A good rule is travelling from point a - b doesn't count as exericse, therefore walking your dogs isn't exercise because it isn't intense enough.

Get yourself a cheap exercise bike (cheaper then a gym membership) and perform HIIT on it (google it). That is the best way to burn fat. Do that 3 times a week to begin with, then after 6-8 weeks do it 4 times a week and stick at that and remember to always push yourself yeah

For your food you need to drop the "I love" "I hate" thinking because it hasn't worked out well so far. Chocolate has to go unless you replace it with chocolate flavoured protein powder. I had two chocolate bars in the last few days, really bad, and that'll be that for probably the next few months.

Use a diet log to track your calories. Aim for 2700 a day and stick to it religiously. Keep it at a 20% fat, 30% protein, 50% carbs ratio. For the protein learn to love soya and beans.

I also highly recommend getting some weights because you can then do a lot with them as they help burn fat and tone muscle through bicep curls, shrugs, military press etc.

Honestly that's about it. All you need to do now is to stick to this plan; the choice is up to you.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yung Mon£y)
    You will need to change your lifestyle to lose the weight as your current lifestyle got you to your weight. And you need to be honest with yourself. Your legs will not be all muscle, guarenteed, unless they look like the legs of these women:
    Thank you

And yes my legs are like that. Women on my side of the family don't carry any excessive fat on our legs, it's really weird. My legs are like the ones in the picture, just without the fake tan! Lol.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

A good rule is travelling from point a - b doesn't count as exericse, therefore walking your dogs isn't exercise because it isn't intense enough.
    I walk 3 hours a day, followed by 3-5 hours of a mix of cycling and running and strength building as I do sports with my dogs. We don't do the typical "walk the dog for an hour" thing.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I walk 3 hours a day, followed by 3-5 hours of a mix of cycling and running and strength building as I do sports with my dogs. We don't do the typical "walk the dog for an hour" thing.
    Sorry but that still is not intense enough. Give HIIT ago and you'll see what I mean

As for your legs I'm going to have to see pictures to believe that
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sorry but that still is not intense enough. Give HIIT ago and you'll see what I mean

As for your legs I'm going to have to see pictures to believe that
    I do P90X twice a week, for about 1.5 hours (ish). Have you done it? It's soooo intense but I love it!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I do P90X twice a week, for about 1.5 hours (ish). Have you done it? It's soooo intense but I love it!
    I've nailed Ab Ripper 200 & I think it's time to move onto Ab Ripper X, but hell man, that looks painful... :K:

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 14, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered nutrition and supplements threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.