Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A NAB Already? Is this normal?

Announcements Posted on
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi, so I've just moved into 5th year, and we're already doing a NAB on Tuesday for English. I mean is this normal?

And could anyone help me with how a NAB works? My teahcer said she will explain on Monday but if anyone could help it would be great. I mean is it times like in the writing and do you get marks out of 50 or 100?

Thanks
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Errm... What's an NAB? And when you say 5th year do you mean year 11?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JackE5)
    Hi, so I've just moved into 5th year, and we're already doing a NAB on Tuesday for English. I mean is this normal?

And could anyone help me with how a NAB works? My teahcer said she will explain on Monday but if anyone could help it would be great. I mean is it times like in the writing and do you get marks out of 50 or 100?

Thanks
    Lol our teacher only told us what's gonna b in da course, haven't even started da course btw wen did ur classes started mine started on 6th jun so we only had 3 periods of eng
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littleone271)
    Errm... What's an NAB? And when you say 5th year do you mean year 11?
    year 12 actually
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by koolkate)
    year 12 actually
    How can 5th year mean year 12?

year 7 is the first year

year 8 is the second year

year 9 is the third year

year 10 is the fourth year

year 11 is the fifth year

year 12 is the sixth year (hence the term 6th form)

Why is he starting a new year in May/June anyway?

EDIT: Crap, ignore me haha I didn't notice it was in the scottish section. In my defence it is 4am.
    • 91 followers

ReputationRep:
    This isn't normal. Yous will only have been in the class for a few days? It'll be a textual analysis NAB, which is more a skill that is trained than taught, so I can see your teacher's reasoning. But I definitely feel like this is way, way too early.

If you're concerned, raise your concern with the teacher first and foremost.
    What'll happen, if it is a textual analysis NAB, is that you'll be given a piece of text you've never seen before - mine was a scene from a play, and you're asked questions on it as if it was a Close Reading paper. But unlike a CR paper, I recall being asked about the name of a literary technique in mine - but I didn't really expand on my knowledge of literary techniques from Standard Grade English to Higher, the ones I knew at Higher were the same as those I knew at Standard Grade. Only thing I learned was enjambment.

It will be timed. I don't know what it's marked out of, however!
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Lol our teacher only told us what's gonna b in da course, haven't even started da course btw wen did ur classes started mine started on 6th jun so we only had 3 periods of eng
    Doesn't sound like an intense course with your spelling -.-

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Normally not, I remember 5th year last year we had to wait to Oct-Dec for our first NAB - they wanted to make sure we where all supposed to sit higher after the results and to see if appeals where successful
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm in 5th year too and we've been told that we're going to have our first NAB's in October. So that's weird that you'll have yours on tuesday...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    First day of Higher English in 5th year, we had to sit our close reading NAB. My teacher was testing us, but also proving that we also knew what to do already, close reading hadn't changed. So don't worry about it.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's erm not an close reading one but a personal one. It's called 'a day in my life' my whole year is doing it ( higher,int2,int1). My teacher did however say if we do fail we will get another chance after the holidays.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    as already said, it will be the textual analysis NAB, and yeah it is perfectly normal, this nab will be relatively easy for anyone good enough to pass higher, and if you fail then you can resit it.
    so its good your teacher is getting it out of the way early
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iSoftie)
    Doesn't sound like an intense course with your spelling -.-

Well it was 4 am, don't expect me to write in full english that time as I was half asleep
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well it was 4 am, don't expect me to write in full english that time as I was half asleep
    fair enough

• 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would presume it's the writing NAB? According to my teacher you essentially write a piece, redraft it, have it marked and then copy it out for a NAB. She told us that instead of wasting our time doing it, she would just pass us if we wrote a strong folio piece.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nerd434)
    I would presume it's the writing NAB? According to my teacher you essentially write a piece, redraft it, have it marked and then copy it out for a NAB. She told us that instead of wasting our time doing it, she would just pass us if we wrote a strong folio piece.
    Exactly. The folio needs two pieces and is submitted to SQA in April. One or both of these can be treated as the Writing LO of the Language NAB.

Though it should be a bit more organised than just sitting down and pulling an essay out of the bag! There should be proposal and planning sheets as part of the procedure, whether it is LO or folio.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It will be a writing NAB, pretty sure we started doing ours the 1st/2nd week back at school. Nothing our of the ordinary.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 10, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE results day

How to make sure you're prepared for Thursday

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.