Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Gears of War Games...

Announcements Posted on
Cast your vote for the Game of the Year awards! 20-11-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one that thinks gears 3 was the most stupid game ever? Its a poor excuse for a gears game.. its one of the most boring repetative games I have ever played. The campaign was dredful and it made the whole gears story seem stupid.. 1 was cool 2 was mind blowing but 3 is a joke.. no wonder they want to bring out another as 3 will not go down in the history books atall
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    The third was the best in my opinion. The second was horrible online.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, I really couldn't stand Gears of War 3. I hated what Karen Traviss did with the storyline and the plot and with the characters. The deus ex machina ending was so poor I could have screamed when Adam Fenix revealed the weapon. It was like "Oh, you're building a super weapon to wipe out all the lambent cells but it will also wipe out the Locust. Oh? and it's on a nice island where we can all start over? How freaking convenient Karen Traviss." >__> Also, I loath Sam with a passion. Sure, everyone loves her because she's hot but I just feel like she's a cookie-cut, stereotype "gear girl". The sad fact is that thirteen year and fourteen old girls were making the same sort of character, a mouthy, awesome-sauce female soldier who is seemingly "different" from all the others and seems to live to trade barbs with Baird. Yawn. Really Karen? Really? That's the best female soldier you could come up with?

I adored Gears 1 but 2 was my first and favourite. I loved the storyline - I loved it enough to write 80K worth of fiction so far for it at least. It actually felt like a race of people were actually at war, rather than just on single group of soldiers. It had a much bigger scale to it, which I really liked. I don't bother with MP with either games, except for Horde, cos they feel a little too linear for my tastes but that's just me. I've been playing Battlefield for too long.

Rant over.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss Trololol)
    Honestly, I really couldn't stand Gears of War 3. I hated what Karen Traviss did with the storyline and the plot and with the characters. The deus ex machina ending was so poor I could have screamed when Adam Fenix revealed the weapon. It was like "Oh, you're building a super weapon to wipe out all the lambent cells but it will also wipe out the Locust. Oh? and it's on a nice island where we can all start over? How freaking convenient Karen Traviss." >__> Also, I loath Sam with a passion. Sure, everyone loves her because she's hot but I just feel like she's a cookie-cut, stereotype "gear girl". The sad fact is that thirteen year and fourteen old girls were making the same sort of character, a mouthy, awesome-sauce female soldier who is seemingly "different" from all the others and seems to live to trade barbs with Baird. Yawn. Really Karen? Really? That's the best female soldier you could come up with?

I adored Gears 1 but 2 was my first and favourite. I loved the storyline - I loved it enough to write 80K worth of fiction so far for it at least. It actually felt like a race of people were actually at war, rather than just on single group of soldiers. It had a much bigger scale to it, which I really liked. I don't bother with MP with either games, except for Horde, cos they feel a little too linear for my tastes but that's just me. I've been playing Battlefield for too long.

Rant over.
    I agree with what you've said. I think Anya is a much better character, albeit under-developed, than Sam. I found Gears 3 to be quite pointless, both the story and the gameplay. I also hated Horde in Gears 3; Epic absolutely ruined it. Gears 2 Horde was perfect. It was difficult and you had to work together with your team mates and you'd use the boom-shields as make-shift barriers. Then Epic gave you all these easy ways to defend yourself, it just made the whole mode seem pointless and boring. I also hated how the Gears 3 campaign was all over the place. First you'd be someplace, then you'd quickly move to a completely different place and I felt as though the transitions were handled awfully. At least with Gears 2 (which had an awesome story) there was a Point A to B plot which made much more sense. Oh, and last but not least, Gears 3 is boring and Gears 2 was really fun
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I love Gears of War. Think it's such a good idea and imaginative, so different to anything else.

Recently got Gears 3 (FINALLY) and the campaign was fun, emotional and everything. Felt different to the others though, not enough Delta squad action (How convenient that Carmine/Sam/Anya/Jace all bugger off at random intervals?).

A brilliant game though, sad to see that it's over.

Horde is too confusing this time around and it was my favourite online mode, haven't played much versus games yet because Gears 2 was awful online. Just a shotgun fest.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    The third one wasn't great. I loved the first one the best because I liked the seemingly small scale of the narrative with brief glimpses of a bigger scale happening with the background. Just four guys going through the city, whereas the second made it seem more open and a larger war. I felt like it was down to mere luck I was alive, whereas in the first game there were no pointless red shirts, apart from Carmine which was quite funny and came out of nowhere. I did like how Clay Carmine survived though in the third though, but I did feel they were just making it up as they went along which seems pretty lame. Again and again they kept introducing more less ruined cities and kept making it sound like everyone lived in rubble.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I agree with OP. Gears 3 was repetitive and disappointing; objectives seemed strung together, the whole thing was like 'now I need to turn the power on, to do that I need to turn on the generator'. Gears 1 & 2 were epic in comparison, that being said,Dom's death scene was very well done. And gears 3 also has very good multiplayer and dedicated servers.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, not sure really. I honestly enjoyed them all.
    Number 2 and 3 but 2 especially had a very good emotional touch to it. With Dominic having to euthanize his wife, pretty traumatic, felt quite sad and emotional at that part to be honest.
    In number 3 Dom sacrificing himself was pretty intense. I would say that Gears of war as a franchise has the best story line of all Xbox games in my opinion (ones that I have played anyway).

I think number 3 seemed a bit lack luster in terms of the ending, I agree it all seemed too... convenient. I still enjoyed it overall, finished it in 1 night.
    • 36 followers

ReputationRep:
    The major thing that annoyed me with Gears of War 3 was the constant enemy forces. It always felt as if you weren't getting any where, the game was seemingly always saying, "Oh, just this one more group of enemies, just this one more... Just this one more cut scene", etc.

It was always just that bit more and it quickly became tedious. Very, very tedious. But it was an entertaining game and I did enjoy it due to several of my friends playing it so we always had co-op as well as good matches online.

None will have the impact the first one did, even with the enhanced game mechanics. It was the same with Bioshock; the first was exceptionally better then the second due to the atmosphere and the "Woah" factor. The second, despite having better mechanics, just wasn't nearly as atmospheric.

Its the same with a lot of games, the only one that seems to have avoided it is Halo, but again it does often have that "Just one more section of enemies".
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The best narrative-driven franchise to be released on Xbox. Probably my favourite games too, I can wholeheartedly say I'll never get bored of them. The campaign has everything: entertainment, emotion, and just a raw, humanistic touch. Although I do have to agree about the multiplayer for Gears 3, it seemed a step down from 2, especially on Horde, but I still enjoyed it more than, say, any CoD.

Anyway, at E3 a prequel was announced, think it was called Judgement, with Baird and Cole Train as the main protagonists. Genuinely can't wait. Also, did any of you play Bulletstorm? It ran on the same engine as Gears (and was developed by Epic Games too), but was toned down thematically and way more comical. Personally, I loved it.
    • 35 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skeppy)
    Am I the only one that thinks gears 3 was the most stupid game ever? Its a poor excuse for a gears game.. its one of the most boring repetative games I have ever played. The campaign was dredful and it made the whole gears story seem stupid.. 1 was cool 2 was mind blowing but 3 is a joke.. no wonder they want to bring out another as 3 will not go down in the history books atall
    I quite like the third one actually, and whilst I sometimes go back and play the first one, the third one is the most evolved in terms of online playing which is what I enjoy the most. It is the one that I have spent the most time playing online in a variety of games with various people. I liked the campaign and I think it wrapped things up pretty well. By the way if you haven't read any of the GOW books (Written by Karen Traviss) I would highly recommend it.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nephilim)
    I agree with what you've said. I think Anya is a much better character, albeit under-developed, than Sam. I found Gears 3 to be quite pointless, both the story and the gameplay. I also hated Horde in Gears 3; Epic absolutely ruined it. Gears 2 Horde was perfect. It was difficult and you had to work together with your team mates and you'd use the boom-shields as make-shift barriers. Then Epic gave you all these easy ways to defend yourself, it just made the whole mode seem pointless and boring. I also hated how the Gears 3 campaign was all over the place. First you'd be someplace, then you'd quickly move to a completely different place and I felt as though the transitions were handled awfully. At least with Gears 2 (which had an awesome story) there was a Point A to B plot which made much more sense. Oh, and last but not least, Gears 3 is boring and Gears 2 was really fun
    Exactly, Anya was awesome. She was strong, smart and capable without being Sam's pushy "LOOK AT MEH!! I'M A GURL AND I'M A GEAR AND I KICK ASS". She wasn't shoving her gender around all the time. The Gears of War 3 campaign really didn't have any consistency at all and it was really poor. My biggest pet hate is that it made all the assumptions that the players have read the books and knew who all these new guys were and knew what the hell was going on. It felt really odd to have Gears of War 2 finishing with Jacinto being sunk, then start Gears 3 with them being on a boat with the COG disbanded. WTF.

I do miss old Horde sometimes. I hate how there's like a whole heap of characters that I could play as but most of them have crazy unlock requirements (Like the Chairman) I'll never play Gears enough to unlock half of the characters. I still haven't unlocked Ben Carmine because I only play Horde and it takes forever to level up :/

The only nice thing about Gears of War 3 was that Clay Carmine survived. Though I suppose he was barely in the campaign that he couldn't have not survived.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    I quite like the third one actually, and whilst I sometimes go back and play the first one, the third one is the most evolved in terms of online playing which is what I enjoy the most. It is the one that I have spent the most time playing online in a variety of games with various people. I liked the campaign and I think it wrapped things up pretty well. By the way if you haven't read any of the GOW books (Written by Karen Traviss) I would highly recommend it.
    Ugh, I can't stand the novels. I'm not a fan of Karen Traviss I have to admit.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I actually really like the third one (except for the blasted retro lancers) GOW1 was the first game I played online and it was the best. When I heard about 2 I set such high expectations that when it finally came out and was such a let down I traded in my xbox360 for a PS3. It was that bad. Talk about overreaction but I was already getting bored of my box and that was the last straw. It's thanks to GOW3 that I have my Xbox back.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    I thought the third had a great campaign; the second was great online, and the third is an improvement on that in terms of gameplay. Unfortunately, they've added too many gametypes, including deathmatches. Barely anyone plays gears 3 online now. And now they're bringing out a fourth gears so soon after the third. They're introducing way too many weapons. They're turning it into CoD. It's really not cool.

edit: not sure how people can think the first was the best online. The movement is just so much worse than 2 and 3.
    • 35 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ugh, I can't stand the novels. I'm not a fan of Karen Traviss I have to admit.
    What don't you like about them? What about the graphic novel "The Hollow?" I haven't read it but I hear it's pretty good.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    What don't you like about them? What about the graphic novel "The Hollow?" I haven't read it but I hear it's pretty good.
    Honestly I just find them very, very boring. I heard everyone rave about them but when I finally got a hold of them, I was really disappointed I own four of them but I couldn't get into them at all. It felt like a chore reading them. They just didn't feel and read like a military novel. Sam annoyed me. Everyone seemed to love and respect Bernie (I smell a mary sue) Chairman Prescott seemed to me like a really sleazy and sneaky guy - the stereotype politician.

Technically, they're good books. They aren't riddled with grammatical errors and what not but they don't hold my interest. And I love Gears of War, enough that I write Fanfiction about it. The novels just don't appeal to me.

I do like the Comics though. The Hollow was good, and I liked Barren as well. The art style is pretty cool.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I thought it had some good 'emotional' moments, but overall I felt parts were VERY repetitive (the submarine section, seriously, it should have only been like 5 minutes or so). Gears 1 had the dark, almost horror like aspect, Gears 2 had the epic scale, and Gears 3...it was meh with some nice parts.

I also felt the story was just a bit too far fetched. Worth my purchase as a Gearhead overall though
    • 35 followers

ReputationRep:
    Honestly I just find them very, very boring. I heard everyone rave about them but when I finally got a hold of them, I was really disappointed I own four of them but I couldn't get into them at all. It felt like a chore reading them. They just didn't feel and read like a military novel. Sam annoyed me. Everyone seemed to love and respect Bernie (I smell a mary sue) Chairman Prescott seemed to me like a really sleazy and sneaky guy - the stereotype politician.

Technically, they're good books. They aren't riddled with grammatical errors and what not but they don't hold my interest. And I love Gears of War, enough that I write Fanfiction about it. The novels just don't appeal to me.

I do like the Comics though. The Hollow was good, and I liked Barren as well. The art style is pretty cool.
    Well you don't see much of Bernie in the games so I think that extra character is good. As for Prescott well I don't think there was anything especially wrong with how he was portrayed. I think it did the story good.
    Whenever I play a game I am often curious about the backstory and so the books were good because they filled in a lot of gaps.
    I'll get onto the graphic novels soon though as I think it goes into more detail about Michael Barrick who I thought was a pretty good character in GOW 3 (Raam's Shadow.)
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Everyone seemed to love and respect Bernie
    I absolutely HATED her voice in Gears 3. Everyone was saying how awesome she is and I'm just like "WTF! How can you stand her voice!"

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 19, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.