Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Religion and Logic

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    ITT: Say something about religion (theism) that is logical (actually makes sense), it can be any religion, it can be something in your holy book or just a general, logical reason as to why people should take up your religion

is easier than making a thread about all the things that just aren't logical (don't make sense)
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    God created the whole universe out of nothingness in 7 days.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm afraid the two don't ever mix in the same circles

* Why the neg? Its true. Wittgenstein no?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Jesus was a man who lived and preached

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S5830
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    The qu'ran is the word of god and is and true because the qu'ran says it's the word of god and true.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm fully expecting to see.....

'He created the world around us! How could the beauty and complexity of nature have happened without God!'

And then I'll giggle.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    evolution can't be real because there are still monkeys and fish... [/sarcasm]
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    There is nothing logical about religion because obviously god exists outside the laws of logic.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    People shouldn't necessarily become religious because they believe in God or want to follow a doctrine of any sort. They should do so because they care about the ethics, the culture or the community behind religion, and they should take from religion what they can and leave the rest. But all the same, they should try experiencing such communities, even if they have no intention of joining them. They may surprise themselves.

The above sounds logical to me.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Everything exists is an infinite number of possible states. When observed, it collapses into one of the several possible states. This is determined by karma. Probably.
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Giant)
    God created the whole universe out of nothingness in 7 days.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sheep)
    ITT: Say something about religion (theism) that is logical (actually makes sense), it can be any religion, it can be something in your holy book or just a general, logical reason as to why people should take up your religion

is easier than making a thread about all the things that just aren't logical (don't make sense)
    Assuming this isn't a "let's get together for a bash-the-theists circle-jerk while showing how clever we are" thread, perhaps you could define what you mean by "actually makes sense"?

For example, why isn't the statement "God has promised eternal bliss to the followers of His Law" not a logical statement? It contains no contradictions, or internally false statements. It doesn't even contain externally false statements. There is no way in the world you or anyone else could logically prove the statement to be false nor indeed could anyone logically prove the statement to be true.

Perhaps you could therefore tighten your definitions a little. Did you maybe mean to ask whether anyone could make a statement about religion that was verifiable and falsifiable? Maybe you just wanted a statement you could agree with? I dunno. But what you actually asked for is somewhat unclear to me.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james22)
    There is nothing logical about religion because obviously god exists outside the laws of logic.
    Well I agree. If there is a God then he is sure illogical.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UniOfLife)
    Assuming this isn't a "let's get together for a bash-the-theists circle-jerk while showing how clever we are" thread, perhaps you could define what you mean by "actually makes sense"?

For example, why isn't the statement "God has promised eternal bliss to the followers of His Law" not a logical statement? It contains no contradictions, or internally false statements. It doesn't even contain externally false statements. There is no way in the world you or anyone else could logically prove the statement to be false nor indeed could anyone logically prove the statement to be true.

Perhaps you could therefore tighten your definitions a little. Did you maybe mean to ask whether anyone could make a statement about religion that was verifiable and falsifiable? Maybe you just wanted a statement you could agree with? I dunno. But what you actually asked for is somewhat unclear to me.
    This implies a supernatural being is granting a supernatural act to a natural being, sounds poppycock to me. Bash bash bash.
    Neggers turn the other cheek. bash,bash,bash.
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sheep)

By 'logical' do you mean a valid argument, a sound argument, a true proposition, or simply an intelligible statement?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sheep)

Theism isn't logical?
    Suppose there was a stick that was moved by the wind caused by the sea ad infinitum - eventually you are going to come to an unchanged mover (a causer of all things caused). From an a priori perspective, it could be argued that God can begat (give rise to) anything bar another God (because, by defintion, God is perfect). Good wouldn't be without evil and evil is really just the reduced concentration of goodness (by which complies with the moral parameters of God who has the standard of holliness) - and that is a result of finitude (the opposite of light isn't dark and the opposite of heat is not cold). Evolution suggests that you can put some watch parts into a bag, shake the bag for a few billion years and be able to pull out a fully working watch at the end of the process (given an infinite number of chances, yes it would happen) - but how can humans evolve from fish? Fish lay eggs and don't care for their young. Plus why are there still monkeys? - this is for those who beleive in the verbatim teachings of Darwin....
    By the very defintion of dualism of mind and matter (think Decartes!!) the cognition is attributed to the immortal, immaterial soul which has the ability to transcend this entity. By the very process of electrical modulation and demodulation, the electrical signals that pulsate along the axons and dendrites can be changed (therefore you could be immersed into an alternate reality and decieved).
    ...but I'm just giving you guys some food for thought...
    • 72 followers

ReputationRep:
    Logic, that is, as a method to derive non-obvious truth from self-evident axioms, doesn't in my mind mix well with religion, a method to derive truth from divine revelation.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TurboCretin)
    By 'logical' do you mean a valid argument, a sound argument, a true proposition, or simply an intelligible statement?
    This poses a serious question, interpretation. It comes up so often on TSR, but we have an advantage over previous generations, we can communicate across vast distances in real time. So imagine the problems 20 or 30 years after the, alleged, death of Jesus. The gospels tell the story of his birth, where did that information come from? this has to be 70years on, how much did the story change.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bordercollies10)
    Theism isn't logical?
    Suppose there was a stick that was moved by the wind caused by the sea ad infinitum - eventually you are going to come to an unchanged mover (a causer of all things caused). From an a priori perspective, it could be argued that God can begat (give rise to) anything bar another God (because, by defintion, God is perfect). Good wouldn't be without evil and evil is really just the reduced concentration of goodness (by which complies with the moral parameters of God who has the standard of holliness) - and that is a result of finitude (the opposite of light isn't dark and the opposite of heat is not cold). Evolution suggests that you can put some watch parts into a bag, shake the bag for a few billion years and be able to pull out a fully working watch at the end of the process (given an infinite number of chances, yes it would happen) - but how can humans evolve from fish? Fish lay eggs and don't care for their young. Plus why are there still monkeys? - this is for those who beleive in the verbatim teachings of Darwin....
    By the very defintion of dualism of mind and matter (think Decartes!!) the cognition is attributed to the immortal, immaterial soul which has the ability to transcend this entity. By the very process of electrical modulation and demodulation, the electrical signals that pulsate along the axons and dendrites can be changed (therefore you could be immersed into an alternate reality and decieved).
    ...but I'm just giving you guys some food for thought...
    This sounds like sitting on the fence, with the communication skills of Ron Wheatcroft. (Good night sweetheart).
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aljolson)
    This sounds like sitting on the fence, with the communication skills of Ron Wheatcroft. (Good night sweetheart).

At least you couldn't contradict anything that I typed...
Updated: July 3, 2012
New on TSR

A-level results day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.