Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Advice on what to do with Ex-gf's stuff

Announcements Posted on

My ex and I broke up almost two years ago now and she left a butt load of stuff at my flat. Clothes, kitchen utensils, books, a printer and other assorted bits and pieces. She now lives ~300miles away.

She has made no effort to ask for her stuff and she did not respond to my attempt to contact her. The kicker is that I have been holding on to this stuff for almost 2 years now. Obviously it is a bit weird hanging on to stuff like that for this amount of time, however it has been kept in my assigned storage facility so I never have to think about it.

I am about to move and no longer have assigned storage space, plus there is in excess of 4 large suitcases. I no longer want to look after.

I have no interest in contacting her, whilst it did not end on a totally sour note, she was completely manipulative and only seemed happy when she was causing drama.

In summary, my question is morally & legally do I have any requirement to contact her and return stuff to her or should I do what I think I should and donate anything of value to a local charity (one that is important to me) and dispose of the rest?

Many thanks.
    • 39 followers

ReputationRep:
    2 years... I doubt she cares. Do what you feel most comfortable with.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    i would donate mate
    after this long she wont care and atleast some people will get the use out of it
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    If that stuff was important to her, she'd have come back for it by now.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Been 2 years and you tried to contact her about her stuff, I think you're in the clear.

As far as you're concerned she probably just doesn't care enough to come get it.
    • 82 followers

ReputationRep:
    How can you just abandon that much stuff? :lolwut: at least you'll donate it rather than trashing it.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    give it to charity mate.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Take it all down to a local charity shop, I am sure they would be glad to have it.

If it was anything important she would have come back for it, and if there is any backlash, well, she had 2 years. Not your problem any more
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sell the stuff and make some cash .

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 10, 2012
New on TSR

Which unis are the poshest?

See what students perceive to be the classiest establishments in Britain

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.