Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Sleep paralysis is making me ill

Announcements Posted on
TSR wants you: get involved with Power Hour. 10-04-2014
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    I want to know if anyone else has had the sleeping disorder SP and how they cured themselves? I have been suffering with SP for 5 years. At first I thought I was just having some weird nightmares. I wake up and can't move my body or scream out. I can only move my eyes. Weird things happen around me, like demons trying to hurt me, it is pretty much feeling like I am going to die.

I went to my doctor about it and he said SP occurs because during deep sleep our body is paralysed so we don't act out our dreams and the waking up but only moving my eyes is to do with REM eye movement in sleep. My body is waking up before my brain realises so I am still paralysed and seeing visions of my dreams with my eyes open. There is no cure for SP. Some people only experience it once, other people experience it regularly. It happens to me anywhere from 2-10 times a month.

My latest experience was today and it gets worse and worse. I could feel my body becoming paralysed again and my eyes were open. In front of me was the outline of a girl with shaggy black hair she was trying to twist her way in to my stomach like a demon, like a demon trying to take over my body. I started panicking and my breathing got slower and my heart started to race. She grabbed hold of my neck and I couldn't breathe. I closed my eyes tight and told myself in a few minutes it would be over and my body would start to move. After a few minutes my body jolted and I could move again. It is seriously affecting me. I have lack of sleep because I am too scared to sleep. I don't smoke anything, I don't do drugs, this is a real life condition and I don't really know what to do since there is no cure. I am looking for some suggestions because SP is starting to take control of my life
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    How do you sleep? I find I get sleep paralysis I if I sleep on my front and also if I wake up the fall straight back to sleep. So if you wake up early try just getting up and not going back to sleep.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iJess)
    I want to know if anyone else has had the sleeping disorder SP and how they cured themselves? I have been suffering with SP for 5 years. At first I thought I was just having some weird nightmares. I wake up and can't move my body or scream out. I can only move my eyes. Weird things happen around me, like demons trying to hurt me, it is pretty much feeling like I am going to die.

I went to my doctor about it and he said SP occurs because during deep sleep our body is paralysed so we don't act out our dreams and the waking up but only moving my eyes is to do with REM eye movement in sleep. My body is waking up before my brain realises so I am still paralysed and seeing visions of my dreams with my eyes open. There is no cure for SP. Some people only experience it once, other people experience it regularly. It happens to me anywhere from 2-10 times a month.

My latest experience was today and it gets worse and worse. I could feel my body becoming paralysed again and my eyes were open. In front of me was the outline of a girl with shaggy black hair she was trying to twist her way in to my stomach like a demon, like a demon trying to take over my body. I started panicking and my breathing got slower and my heart started to race. She grabbed hold of my neck and I couldn't breathe. I closed my eyes tight and told myself in a few minutes it would be over and my body would start to move. After a few minutes my body jolted and I could move again. It is seriously affecting me. I have lack of sleep because I am too scared to sleep. I don't smoke anything, I don't do drugs, this is a real life condition and I don't really know what to do since there is no cure. I am looking for some suggestions because SP is starting to take control of my life
    It used to happen me .Instead of fighting against it , just let it be and close your eyes .I know thats going to be hard , but it worked for me ..
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    i never heard of it before and then suddenley i got it twice in the last month! along with auditory hallucinations as well out of body experiences- but hey, ive always been a funny sleeper

but my gosh, ive never had it to the extent you have! It kind of helps that i lucid dream, so when i see demons (the 2 times ive been paralysed) i knew it was a dream so i just kept telling myself not to panic.

could you try doing that?
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    I sleep on my side and sometimes my back, it mostly happens when I sleep on my back, it's so hard to let it just be there because I literally feel like I am dying

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: June 10, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.