The Student Room Group

Paying rent with post-dated cheques?

Our landlady for next year has requested that we pay for rent by giving her three post dated cheques this summer, each dated for the 3 dates we get our student loan instalments.
She doesn't seem dodgy, she is registered with the university, and I can't see what's wrong with post dated cheques myself.
But some people have told me that this is a slightly dodgy way of doing it and discouraged by a lot of people? One person even told me apparently it's illegal.

Should I be worried or is this fine??
There is nothing illegal and I suspect this is common, but you have to trust the person you give the cheques to as banks don't look at the dates on cheques so there is nothing to prevent immediate presentation which might be a tad embarrasing and costly.
Reply 2
Original post by Good bloke
There is nothing illegal and I suspect this is common, but you have to trust the person you give the cheques to as banks don't look at the dates on cheques so there is nothing to prevent immediate presentation which might be a tad embarrasing and costly.

Well so long as it's all kosher I'm happy with it because it means I don't have to think about it for the rest of the year.
And if she did try and pay it in early it would only bounce, so it wouldn't do her any good. I think it should be fine :smile:
Original post by abc:)

And if she did try and pay it in early it would only bounce, so it wouldn't do her any good.

Yes, but bouncing cheques normally result in nasty bank charges, so it wouldn't do you any good either.
Reply 4
Well so long as it's all kosher I'm happy with it because it means I don't have to think about it for the rest of the year.
And if she did try and pay it in early it would only bounce, so it wouldn't do her any good. I think it should be fine :smile:

It would be a good idea to check the terms and conditions of your bank

In theory the date on the cheque is irrelevant ... it can be cashed immediately

If you write a cheque without the funds in your bank to cover that cheque you could be fined considerable amounts
Reply 5
Original post by Good bloke
Yes, but bouncing cheques normally result in nasty bank charges, so it wouldn't do you any good either.

Original post by TenOfThem
It would be a good idea to check the terms and conditions of your bank

In theory the date on the cheque is irrelevant ... it can be cashed immediately

If you write a cheque without the funds in your bank to cover that cheque you could be fined considerable amounts

But what I mean is if she knows that there will be no money in my account unless she cashes it on the right day, she will know it would be pointless to try, so that situation hopefully shouldn't occur
Reply 6
But what I mean is if she knows that there will be no money in my account unless she cashes it on the right day, she will know it would be pointless to try, so that situation hopefully shouldn't occur

It's something she can hold over you though. You're legally obligated to pay, but she isn't legally obligated to wait - unless you get it in writing that she pays for any bounce if she does it early.
Reply 7

In theory, yes

But there is no guarantee
Reply 8
I can confirm post dated cheques are not illegal but the bank will/can process a post dated cheque and the payer has no legal right against the bank if they did. Even if you have no money in the bank, a bounced cheque will incurr bank charges.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending