The Student Room Group

Are Philosophy degrees respected by employers?

I'm thinking of switching to Philosophy as my main subject at University, but I'm worried that I am shooting myself in the foot when it comes to getting a good job. I really love the subject, but it is very artsy with no directly vocational skills to any immediate job I can think of. For what it's worth, it is at a top 20, red brick University.

Any idea if employers will just burst into fits of laughter at my application form? :redface:

*Jaded
It could depend on the kind of job you are looking for.
There are certain jobs where a philosopher (with a critical mind and all) would be highly valued, while certain other jobs may prefer vocationally trained people. However, I have heard that quite a few "top" companies now like to have a philosopher or two around , perhaps to provide some edgy innovative ideas.
Reply 2
Thanks for you answer CandyS. Maybe I am being too paranoid about it :smile:

*Jaded
Reply 3
Nah, I think it's a valid concern indeed.

Personally I think that philosophy would be especially useful if studied in conjunction with another subject like politics, or even mathematics!
Reply 4
I am not to sure. I will be studying PPE at York in Sept. this year. Personally I think Philosophy is an overall expected degree, but its best to have it backed with perhaps another social science subject.
Reply 5
Thx for the replies. I think everyone is correct in that I should study it with another subject. Unfortunately I would be changing my main subject, and I think I can only switch to pure philosophy. Ah well :redface:

I guess I could try and do a Masters or get a post graduate certificate in a complimentary subject afterwards :smile:

*Jaded
Reply 6
It depends on what sort of philosophy you do as well, logic is probably more respected than aesthetics if you know what I mean...

Im doing philosophy with computer science, and plan on going into consulting (got an iternship with RSM International this summer).
Philosophy combined with other more technical subjects like Economics, Maths or CompSci is a perfect combination to demonstrate your qualitative and quantitative skills - pure Philosophy obviously lacks the latter part. If you want to do something like marketing/sales, journalism, NGO etc then Philosophy's fine, it'll make areas like finance more difficult but still not impossible.
Public Relations and Advertising companies will surely find Philosophy graduates the right ones to join them, since their course and bent of mind is best suited for such kind of projects, journalism is another, TV production is another,
:smile: :smile: :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending