The Student Room Group

Is Anyone Else *Really* Nervous About The Maths Exam Tomorrow? (Edexcel, Linear)

Usually I don't get this nervous about exams. I think it's because I've resat so many times that I just can't stand to get the same grade. In addition to this, I feel like I try so hard yet at school we are taught next to nothing, which is what I'm lacking the most, support from teachers.

They enter me for the resit and do revision class but the actual teaching it simply to a C level and nothing behind that, so when it gets the harder questions I simply don't understand them.

Whilst some people find picking up methods pretty easy, I find it extremely hard. I'm so nervous about tomorrow. There is so much I don't know, yet I have no one to ask for help.

I honestly do feel like a dead end.

Does anyone else feel like this? How is everyone feeling about the exam tomorrow? Any advice?

Thanks for reading. :smile:

Note: In case you were wondering why I am so nervous I have took 6 Maths exams. (4 in AQA Modular) (2 in Edexcel Linear). I see no problem with a B, I think it's a very good grade. However because I sat it one year early I always thought I could do better because we never got taught certain stuff... At this stage I still see no problem with a B, yet I have come so far... I just don't want all the hard work to go to waste.
Reply 1
Very very nervous. I'm in a bit of a pickle you see; Maths was always by leaps and bounds my worst subject, I'm not like most people on this site looking out for an A or whatever, all I need is a C, but looking at this test, I'm not even sure I can do that.

In GCSE I got embarrassingly..an E on the foundation Maths test. Moving on from there I went on my Level 2 Btec because I failed to get that C to go on the level 3, that year I did Functional skills maths level 2, which I passed. Moving on to my level 3, that wasn't enough for Uni I was told, so off to resitting GCSE with you! ..got a D on foundation.

Here I am again on the second year for my last resit, instead I'm doing higher because the boundary for a C is lower...I've been bashing my head against a wall trying to remember all this stuff, but it just won't sink in..I'm going to be devastated if not getting a C in Maths means I can't go to Uni..I already met the UCAS points for my course after all.

Been tossing and turning, fretting, reading the book again and again and again, nothing past basics wants to stay in..
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
I aced the exam 2 years ago and got the A* easily.
There's nothing to worry about people.
I've got this exam too...

Not really that nervous because we get 1 hour and 45 minutes which IMO is quite a lot of time. I just hope they don't screw with us and put in some impossible questions :/
Reply 4
I'm in this exam too, I tried revising today and when I looked at the work books my mind went blank. I just hope it'll be a low boundary seen as though it's the first paper with these new questions :/

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by jess-xo
I'm in this exam too, I tried revising today and when I looked at the work books my mind went blank. I just hope it'll be a low boundary seen as though it's the first paper with these new questions :/

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

But admittedly the new spec hasn't changed much :frown: Just some more QWC questions but what else?
Reply 6
Original post by Jakku
Very very nervous. I'm in a bit of a pickle you see; Maths was always by leaps and bounds my worst subject, I'm not like most people on this site looking out for an A or whatever, all I need is a C, but looking at this test, I'm not even sure I can do that.

In GCSE I got embarrassingly..an E on the foundation Maths test. Moving on from there I went on my Level 2 Btec because I failed to get that C to go on the level 3, that year I did Functional skills maths level 2, which I passed. Moving on to my level 3, that wasn't enough for Uni I was told, so off to resitting GCSE with you! ..got a D on foundation.

Here I am again on the second year for my last resit, instead I'm doing higher because the boundary for a C is lower...I've been bashing my head against a wall trying to remember all this stuff, but it just won't sink in..I'm going to be devastated if not getting a C in Maths means I can't go to Uni..I already met the UCAS points for my course after all.

Been tossing and turning, fretting, reading the book again and again and again, nothing past basics wants to stay in..

Yeah, I get you. A lot of people in my school have took the same resits as me, and got a D also. I open the paper and bang on a B.

It's like you try so hard, yet always get the same grade! I put all that effort in... I just want an A.

Good luck for tomorrow. :smile: Just take each question one step at a time, and read it carefully - I always mess up because even though I read the question twice, I always seem to misunderstand it!
Reply 7
Original post by albus
I aced the exam 2 years ago and got the A* easily.
There's nothing to worry about people.

It's a new specification. Plus, did you have good teachers? Also, other people can self teach themselves, I find it very difficult to grasp.
Reply 8
Original post by Dandaman9999
I've got this exam too...

Not really that nervous because we get 1 hour and 45 minutes which IMO is quite a lot of time. I just hope they don't screw with us and put in some impossible questions :/

They always do that! Put in a question that is impossible, then after your Maths teacher goes... It was easy.

It's like, well obviously your a Maths teacher!

I also think the time is a lot but if you don't get one question and spend time on it, time goes really quickly!
Original post by >Username<
They always do that! Put in a question that is impossible, then after your Maths teacher goes... It was easy.

It's like, well obviously your a Maths teacher!

I also think the time is a lot but if you don't get one question and spend time on it, time goes really quickly!

Haha that's true! To make it worse my maths teacher probably wouldn't have gotten it right because he is terrible and we have learnt nothing the whole year :frown: self taught myself!

Yeah, I just hope there isn't any question which crops up and I just think "what the hell is this?!" haha
Reply 10
I'm doing a different maths spec, but if you have a mathswatch cd, use that, it's AMAZING! Try not to worry about it, because if you're stressed, it will not help AT ALL. Get loads of sleep tonight, so you're energised and awake tomorrow, and drink plenty of water, as it helps to keep your concentration levels up; if you're just 2% dehydrated, your concentration drops by 20%! My maths exam is 2 hours long, I don't think I'll be able to concentrate for that long :frown:
Oh, and good luck! :biggrin:
Reply 11
Original post by Dandaman9999
Haha that's true! To make it worse my maths teacher probably wouldn't have gotten it right because he is terrible and we have learnt nothing the whole year :frown: self taught myself!

Yeah, I just hope there isn't any question which crops up and I just think "what the hell is this?!" haha

Really? I'm in the exact same position! I've resitting this year just to get an A. Simply because I know I can get better, because we haven't even covered the full specification!

I find Maths hard. However, when I had a good teacher, I didn't find it this hard! Do you get what I mean? It's added pressure because I am teach myself everything... Therefore I get no real help.
Reply 12
As a teacher I only say its an easy question in relation to what I expect of the pupil asking it.

All the teachers I know would only say a question is hard or easy based on the level of the student.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending