Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Shocked with social care clients

Announcements Posted on
Applying to uni this year? Check out our new personal statement advice hub 28-11-2014

I used to get paid above NMW for working in IT recruitment, as admin. Moved to social care recruitment and am the the only admin, get paid £16k still full time. I graduate with honors in August and am thinking that I'd need a pay rise then. My boss is nice, understanding, best boss I've had but I feel like I'm only staying because he manages v well and that I wouldn't want to leave unless told to. I've passed my 3months probation and am supposed to have another meeting maybe next week to see if I've improved etc after another month. Had no idea we're moving so soon to bigger office next month, so in few weeks time where more people would be recruited. I know my colleagues have had pay rise who do the sales, one who just started before me and the business has been rapidly expanding with workload since i joined. I managed well with my boss on hol recently for 1week + abroad. So should I ask for a pay rise after August? I don't think my pay tbh would be enough to afford oyster card without student discount that's why...

I was told in the last meeting which was the only 1 with boss, that we may look into an assistant for me etc who I'd have to train. My main reason is that I don't mind my job but it can get tedious annoying only because the clients being social workers are nothing to what I was expecting. Most troublesome, another breed, difficult people to work with! Not ALL but most are like this, how the media portrays them so negatively. Some are v nice. The amount of them though who are insecure, needy, demanding, verbal is quite stressing. I have to be patient and nice. They know how crucial compliance is but don't like doing any paperwork, it is effort to make them do paperwork so they can get/ keep their job, especially with audits which is a pain in the arse but challenging as I do well with managing them. References are also a pain to get as it would be for all their past jobs in last 5yrs and some of the references are bad/ hard to chase but I get there eventually always, quite repetitive

Would it be wrong to ask for a pay rise, after I graduate soon due to needing to afford travel? My colleague got a huge pay rise who started just before me but does the sales. I do admin and support them. We all know how the clients being social care are a pain in the arse tbh. A lot of time by my director was taken to train me hence I'd never leave unless made to, I'm the 1st admin too they've had. It isn't too surprising why social workers a lot of them are difficult, so many have had criminal convictions on their CRBs etc. The job entails a lot of professionalism and responsibility, whole load of paperwork. When director was away abroad, his emails were directed so anyone emailing him would have to contact me, so I tend to help with his personal stuff too and a lot of social workers were verbally abusive and anal at me re their payroll issues. So I thought, if they get anymore verbal at me re what I can't help them with since he's abroad on holiday then I may need to soon ask him for a pay rise later on now that he's returned and tell him, hey this is what I dealt with lol social workers with issues
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Your post is structured very poorly. I'm guessing English isn't your first language?

What's your degree in? If it's in the field you're currently working in then you should clearly get a pay rise (as you become much more highly qualified). If it's in something completely different then you shouldn't.

In any case £16k is a rubbish salary so when you get your degree you should go looking elsewhere.

Business degree, with final year focused on marketing. Yes, it relates to it. It is in central London, so I need a zones 1-3 weekly or sometimes monthly travelcard. I get student discount on it until August, then after that I'd seriously need to think about what to do if there is yet not a payrise then will have to ask for it, otherwise to jobsearch. It is a harsh thing to say as my boss is nice but I don't feel my travel will be affordable on the salary and long hours/ commute, also I spend a lot on food i.e lunches since I'm a very picky eater, I don't eat like a poorly young student

The job is ok but the clients are really annoying, so many social workers have a pass at university or aren't that qualified so to be one doesn't require much. It can get painful to ask them for a copy of their: ID, qualifications, reference details etc as it is all required including other paper work for compliance. Very few of them are nice people, some are quite verbal and lousy. I don't think other people would be able to cope with them, it requires a hell of a lot of patience, attention to detail and persistence. It is really quite interesting though since day 1 as the social workers tend to do serious stuff to get sacked or do something strange, especially if they're really difficult people and rude, sometimes it can be quite entertaining even to just laugh it off instead of being concerned about them. Hmm although I do get concerned about how these people got into care.

I have a year experience of this type of admin job in recruitment but had moved industries within the same sector. Naturally, recruitment tends to usually have an incredibly high turnover but things have been good here, will see how it goes when we grow within the next few weeks, quite nervous about that

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 11, 2012
New on TSR

Exclusive Nick Clegg interview

Your questions answered by the deputy prime minister

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.