Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How can anyone not accept evolution?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I know it's so annoying, we can even see it in differences between old people and young people like older people generally have bigger ears

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    Because phoebe buffay doesn't..?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Wildfire
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JollyGreenAtheist)
    Sometimes their pastors/imams/favourite lunatics get there before science teachers, and spew the usual nonsenses; "X religious book is irrefutable, therefore evolution is wrong", "evolution is just a theory, therefore evolution is wrong", "it's full of flaws making it completely invald, therefore evolution is wrong", "I'm an [insert religion] and I'm going to heaven. You're going to hell, therefore evolution is wrong".

It would be good if evolution could be simplified and introduced at a much earlier age than when I learnt it in school - year 9 I believe.
    :yes: - I am ashamed to admit that I didn't know what evolution was until Biology lessons in Year 9 too, and pretty much ever since it has seemed, in my opinion, a lot more logical than any other religion.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It is a theory after all - one with a large amount of evidence and very credbile, but still a theory.

Having said that, those who reject the evolution theory often have a religion they turn to, one which typically blinds them to science.

In short: blame religion.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ExMuslim)
    Muslim Cleric Zakir Naik, a famous Muslim intellectual, rejects evolution because it's called the "theory of evolution" and not the "fact of evolution". No joke....
    That's ****ing ironic considering he's a Muslim, and blind faith is hilarious.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC One X
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    See. This is why nobody believes in evolution. Evolutionists can't even make their mind up whether we evolved from monkeys or apes. Its faults like this which make it a THEORY which is basically just a geuss.
    Are you serious? Where did we not make up our mind?
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Because their brains haven't fully evolved.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just curious as I'm not religious - but what stance do the main religions take in regards to evolution?
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by popnit)
    Because phoebe buffay doesn't..?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Wildfire
    She also claims that she contracted hepatitis when a pimp spat in her mouth... I don't think she's a reliable source of information
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MillyPixie)
    Just curious as I'm not religious - but what stance do the main religions take in regards to evolution?
    I'm led to believe that the Catholic Church accepts the overwhelming amount of evidence in favour of evolution, but argue that Goddidit.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Reasons already mentioned. Anyways, enjoy.

• 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    They have a magic book that says otherwise, and for some zany wacky reason they'll trust that instead of the vast amounts of irrefutable evidence for evolution. I think the problem with evolution is people don't WANT to understand it, they'd rather put their hands over their ears and shout "laa laa laa it's just a theory laa laa laaaa".
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    When a religious teacher tells you to disregard evolution in lieu of a religious text that is the time to question whether they are totally having you on.

People criticise atheists and secularists for attacking religion, but when religious teaching takes precedence over science in schools (which routinely happens in faith schools in this country), it's time to step in in my opinion.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have to laugh at the creationist view, hahaha. To believe in this supernatrual being against the overwhelming evidence of science, If man was made in God's image, how come Chimps look so human, the chimps probably have more intelligence than creationists, at least they have not invented religion.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Creationism is to evolution what the Stork Theory of Reproduction is to actual reproduction.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Christian science training:

• 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mmmpie)
    Do tell us what macroevolution is, 'cause it's not a term which exists in biology...
    Origin of new designs, i.e evolution outside of species.

http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evosit...finition.shtml
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I really do not understand given the irefutable amount of chemical, genetic, biological, geological evidence for it, given its utility and predictive power as a theory, given its observability and relevance to fields even outside biology. How is it even possible to deny it totally.
    YOU shouldn't let science influence your faith or religion.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i am an a2 biology student and i believe adaptations are real however i strongly disagree with evolution. OP not everyone sees things the way you see it. I'm a really pessimistic person and it takes alot fr me to believe in something.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Never underestimate the ability of human beings to ignore all logic and rational sense.

i am an a2 biology student and i believe adaptations are real however i strongly disagree with evolution. OP not everyone sees things the way you see it. I'm a really pessimistic person and it takes alot fr me to believe in something.
    Being pessimistic makes you doubt evolution? :confused:
Updated: June 12, 2012
New on TSR

What do you think of the BBC?

UK Parliament wants to hear your views

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.