Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

How can anyone not accept evolution?

Announcements Posted on
Become part of the Welcome Squad! Apply here! 28-10-2014
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fuze-mo25)
    i am an a2 biology student and i believe adaptations are real however i strongly disagree with evolution. OP not everyone sees things the way you see it. I'm a really pessimistic person and it takes alot fr me to believe in something.
    You're confusing 'pessimistic' with 'ignorant' and 'obstinate'.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QuantumOverlord)
    I really do not understand given the irefutable amount of chemical, genetic, biological, geological evidence for it, given its utility and predictive power as a theory, given its observability and relevance to fields even outside biology. How is it even possible to deny it totally.
    Read 1984 by Orwell.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    humans came from monkeys... i mean really lol? do i look like i have fur and jump from tree branches lol? we were created because we are unique and in God's image.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    See. This is why nobody believes in evolution. Evolutionists can't even make their mind up whether we evolved from monkeys or apes. Its faults like this which make it a THEORY which is basically just a geuss.
    Nobody believes in evolution? I guess none of the people on here that support it, or the enormous scientific body that supports it, or the massive numbers of people worldwide who accept it exist then huh? That would be like me saying nobody believes in creationism, obviously regardless of how I feel about it I have to acknowledge the fact that it is what other people believe.

There's no issue with evolutionists making up their mind. The confusions caused between people thinking we are descended from monkeys and the fact that we share a common ancestor with monkeys are caused by people not being taught the theory, rather than any confusion within the theory itself.

The word theory in science doesn't mean "guess", as somebody said already, within science it means “a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world, based on a body of facts that have been repeatedly confirmed through observation and experiment.” (wikipedia but a perfectly apt definition)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Somethingundecided)
    How dare you and OP sit there and judge those who don't agree with your belief, and not only judge, but insult as well, calling them uneducated and brainwashed? Evolution is a THEORY, and therefore it has not been proven, and so you have NO IDEA whether what you believe in is any more true or correct than what others believe in. Yeah, you belive in a scientific theory, and you need to get off your high horse just because others believe in religious theories, because that does not make you more intellectually capable than them, but actually proves that you are an intolerant and narrow minded person.
    So I guess you make the same criticisms of gravity?

Gravity is just a belief.

If you are certain about gravity you are simply a narrow minded bigot.

Gravity is just a theory.

...of course not.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Banishingboredom)
    When a religious teacher tells you to disregard evolution in lieu of a religious text that is the time to question whether they are totally having you on.

People criticise atheists and secularists for attacking religion, but when religious teaching takes precedence over science in schools (which routinely happens in faith schools in this country), it's time to step in in my opinion.
    It does?! You have any evidence to support this claim.

(Note that I laugh in the face of creationists, they claim the Earth is 10,000 years old :P)
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    How dare you and OP sit there and judge those who don't agree with your belief, and not only judge, but insult as well, calling them uneducated and brainwashed? Evolution is a THEORY, and therefore it has not been proven, and so you have NO IDEA whether what you believe in is any more true or correct than what others believe in. Yeah, you belive in a scientific theory, and you need to get off your high horse just because others believe in religious theories, because that does not make you more intellectually capable than them, but actually proves that you are an intolerant and narrow minded person.
    Haha. I'm laughing, but I'm dying inside. People honestly can't be this dense.

Actually attempt to educate yourself and understand what you're discussing before you spout your nonsensical rebuttals.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord-Voldemort)
    humans came from monkeys... i mean really lol? do i look like i have fur and jump from tree branches lol? we were created because we are unique and in God's image.
    Fur...Look at your arms and legs.
    Jump from trees....Have you noticed that your hands and feet seem to be very well adapted for doing precisely that? Oh and that bone at the base of your spine, the Coccyx, also known as the 'tailbone', you get 50 points for guessing what that used to be.

I'm guessing that you also believe the world was created in 7 days, right?
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QuantumOverlord)
    I really do not understand given the irefutable amount of chemical, genetic, biological, geological evidence for it, given its utility and predictive power as a theory, given its observability and relevance to fields even outside biology.
    Whether or not people accept evolution (the currently accepted version of it) isn't to do with the amount of evidence there is, but more to do with the amount of evidence they personally are aware of, understand and recognise.

There may be loads of irrefutable evidence for evolution. But I don't personally know what all of it is. I've sometimes even looked at various pieces of evidence and not understood one bit of it. I also don't see any reason why evolution must necessarily be the best theory to explain away all this evidence. How do I know someone else isn't going to come along in 1000 years time with an even better theory? It takes a much better understanding than the layman to really be confident of this kind of thing.

What I find strange is, most of the time when people say that there is irrefutable evidence for evolution (and in fact, lots of other things, but evolution in particular) - they usually don't actually seem to know what that evidence is when I ask them for it, until they look it up. And they usually can't seem to explain why that must be evidence for evolution and nothing else. I mean, fair enough if you actually do happen to know a lot on the subject. But for a lot of people, it does seem to come with an overly-inflated confidence (in my opinion).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Id and Ego seek)
    You're confusing 'pessimistic' with 'ignorant' and 'obstinate'.
    ignorance is lack of knowledge however i do know quite a bit about the subject matter just not convinced.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fuze-mo25)
    ignorance is lack of knowledge however i do know quite a bit about the subject matter just not convinced.
    'Convinced'? You clearly don't know enough.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josh93)
    Fur...Look at your arms and legs.
    Jump from trees....Have you noticed that your hands and feet seem to be very well adapted for doing precisely that? Oh and that bone at the base of your spine, the Sacrum, also known as the 'tailbone', you get 50 points for guessing what that used to be.

I'm guessing that you also believe the world was created in 7 days, right?
    speculation and coincidence!

fur... it's called hair lol. there's a difference between a few hairs and full on fur lol. god is often pictured with hair - so we were made in his image in that sense.

what?! i couldn't jump from trees even if i tried lol. we were not made for that, but our hands were made for using tools.

the 'sacrum' is just an anomaly... you could say any sticking out bone on our body used to be a tail or a bone sword or something lol.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boone_007)
    YOU shouldn't let science influence your faith or religion.
    But I'm assuming you're fine with religion influencing my belief in science right? Why shouldn't you look at all of the evidence out there and let it affect what you believe.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    Whether or not people accept evolution (the currently accepted version of it) isn't to do with the amount of evidence there is, but more to do with the amount of evidence they personally are aware of, understand and recognise.

There may be loads of irrefutable evidence for evolution. But I don't personally know what all of it is. I've sometimes even looked at various pieces of evidence and not understood one bit of it. I also don't see any reason why evolution must necessarily be the best theory to explain away all this evidence. How do I know someone else isn't going to come along in 1000 years time with an even better theory? It takes a much better understanding than the layman to really be confident of this kind of thing.

What I find strange is, most of the time when people say that there is irrefutable evidence for evolution (and in fact, lots of other things, but evolution in particular) - they usually don't actually seem to know what that evidence is when I ask them for it, until they look it up. And they usually can't seem to explain why that must be evidence for evolution and nothing else. I mean, fair enough if you actually do happen to know a lot on the subject. But for a lot of people, it does seem to come with an overly-inflated confidence (in my opinion).
    What do you think the word 'evolution' means..?

In biological terms it simply means that organisms change over time, which is an observed fact.

I imagine you are probably talking about the history of speciation. This is also based entirely on unambiguous evidence, unless you wish to claim that throughout Earth's history organisms were regularly destroyed and replaced with slightly different ones.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C_G)
    It does?! You have any evidence to support this claim.

(Note that I laugh in the face of creationists, they claim the Earth is 10,000 years old :P)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzJv-5yWx2g
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...lligent-design
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-15226421
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7613403.stm
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Id and Ego seek)
    Haha. I'm laughing, but I'm dying inside. People honestly can't be this dense.

Actually attempt to educate yourself and understand what you're discussing before you spout your nonsensical rebuttals.
    If you had noticed, my post commented on the fact that you were judgemental and unable to accept others' beliefs. I read your article, if it were true this debate would not exist today. Your post only continues to show that you are unable to accept those who have believe in something other than you.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you had noticed, my post commented on the fact that you were judgemental and unable to accept others beliefs. I read your article, if it were true this debate would not exist today. Your post only continues to show that you are unable to accept those who have believe in something other than you.
    Sorry, how rude of me; what is this this 'other' theory? Show me the evidence to back up your 'something other'.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ExMuslim)
    Muslim Cleric Zakir Naik, a famous Muslim intellectual, rejects evolution because it's called the "theory of evolution" and not the "fact of evolution". No joke....
    does he reject gravity because it's the 'theory of gravity' as well yeah???????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????

Christ.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Because people are stupid and that's sad
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord-Voldemort)
    speculation and coincidence!

fur... it's called hair lol. there's a difference between a few hairs and full on fur lol. god is often pictured with hair - so we were made in his image in that sense.

what?! i couldn't jump from trees even if i tried lol. we were not made for that, but our hands were made for using tools.

the 'sacrum' is just an anomaly... you could say any sticking out bone on our body used to be a tail or a bone sword or something lol.
    Arguing with you isn't going to get me anywhere, is it?
    Religion is to logic as a black hole is to matter, there's just no point trying.
Updated: June 12, 2012
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Join the TSR Halloween party...if you dare!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.