Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

beachwear advice

Announcements Posted on
Applying to uni this year? Check out our new personal statement advice hub 28-11-2014
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ooooookay, so I have a totally destroyed stomach after having had my kids. I'm going on holiday in September and honestly I'm not very keen on the swimming costume that I've got. I need some advice.

This is me in the swimming costume I currently have. It is a tummy-support one (plus I'm sucking my stomach in as much as I can - I do that pretty much instinctually anyway these days).

Spoiler:
    Show

It's okay....I guess....but I wish I could wear something a bit more flattering.

This is my stomach (sucked in - like I said I do that instinctually) - so as you can see it's not exactly like I could just buy a regular bikini and wander around like that - it's not exactly attractive - it's all wrinkly and saggy and stuff (and heaven forbid if I didn't hold it in!)
    Spoiler:
    Show

(the pics are from the TSR transformation contest, in case you are wondering - as I already have them on TSR there's no point being shy about them now I suppose.)

Sooooo I was thinking, maybe getting a bikini with a sarong that I can put around my stomach or something.
    I saw this on ebay, what do you reckon? Do you think that would work?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...WNASIF:GB:1123

alternatively, I also saw this, but I dunno if it would be flattering or not

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...WNASIF:GB:1123

any thoughts anybody? I just want something flattering that is gonna hide the mummy-tummy!

Cheers in advance.

updated on 2nd page
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nice swimsuit and lingerie, the swimsuit you wearing is ok, the second link to the blue tankini thing looks good and think would be good on you,
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    i like your swimsuit fit and i don't think your stomach sticks out at all or anything in it! i think you look really good in it! i don't really like the pattern personally though. surprisingly i was looking for a full on swimsuit recently because all i have is biknis and i was pleasantly surprised by matalan and tk maxx, so check them out. matalan had quite a lot of tummy support ones, as did M&S actually.

the sarong is very nice though you wouldn't be able to wear it in the pool and it might just generally be a pain plus it hides your nice legs and probs will make u look bigger than you actually are. you can get high waisted bikini like this:

which can provide good support as well as looking nice (though you have to be careful to get a nice one) but you might find you have to keep pulling it up, i don't know. they also might be hard to find in actual stored rather than online. also i don't know whether you like that style. you could maybe mix it up with black bottoms for hiding effect and bright/patterned bikini top to draw attention upwards.

i don't really like that blue frilly suit and again i think it might make you look bigger than you are, i think it makes that model bigger than she is, i think it's only for super model thin people which wipes out like 95% of us.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    thanks both of you. Do you not both sort of think that the swimming costume I currently own sort of makes me look flat chested? It kind of holds everything in - which is fine for the stomach part, but my boobs look pretty.....flat.....
    • 27 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think you look pretty good in the first one. :dontknow:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think you look great in the first one too, not keen on the pattern myself but the fit seems pretty good. Maybe just go and look around for some different tummy control ones in stores?
    Also, I saw this a while back, maybe could be of some use? http://www.cosmopolitan.com/celebrit...ain_sr#slide-3
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    well thanks guys. Maybe it's just me then not being that keen on what I already have. Perhaps I'm being a bit picky?

I might shop around a bit and try on a few different styles. I'm a bit worried that high waisted bikinis kind of make the torso look a bit...thick (for lack of a better word).

Cheers for the advice all
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would honestly advise just going shopping and trying on loads of different things. I think swimming costumes can be a bit hit and miss, I tried on something once that I thought would be way more flattering than a bikini but it was awful!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    well if you going to be lyeing down on the beach it will not really matter!! noone is really going to be looking at you! its just if you are walking around the beach then you could put a beach cover up on i baught this one last week http://www.bravesoul.co.uk/shop/clot...beach-cover-up you could look around and get something like this?
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bellissima)
    i like your swimsuit fit and i don't think your stomach sticks out at all or anything in it! i think you look really good in it! i don't really like the pattern personally though. surprisingly i was looking for a full on swimsuit recently because all i have is biknis and i was pleasantly surprised by matalan and tk maxx, so check them out. matalan had quite a lot of tummy support ones, as did M&S actually.

the sarong is very nice though you wouldn't be able to wear it in the pool and it might just generally be a pain plus it hides your nice legs and probs will make u look bigger than you actually are. you can get high waisted bikini like this:

which can provide good support as well as looking nice (though you have to be careful to get a nice one) but you might find you have to keep pulling it up, i don't know. they also might be hard to find in actual stored rather than online. also i don't know whether you like that style. you could maybe mix it up with black bottoms for hiding effect and bright/patterned bikini top to draw attention upwards.

i don't really like that blue frilly suit and again i think it might make you look bigger than you are, i think it makes that model bigger than she is, i think it's only for super model thin people which wipes out like 95% of us.
    They are nice bikini's you have posted, I agree that these would also look good on the op
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
    thanks both of you. Do you not both sort of think that the swimming costume I currently own sort of makes me look flat chested? It kind of holds everything in - which is fine for the stomach part, but my boobs look pretty.....flat.....
    Yeah I think it does kind of but if your comfortable wearing it it doesn't matter, if don't like it and want to show your boobs off more then maybe go for another swimsuit which helps show them off while giving you the support you want.

You could also if not want to wear a swimsuit wear a bikini in the style 'Bellissima' has posted pic of as these should suit you
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    body dysmorphic disorder is alive and well I see
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SnoochToTheBooch)
    body dysmorphic disorder is alive and well I see
    So I guess my GP is also wrong then in diagnosing my diastasis recti? The physiotherapist I worked with who also tried to help with getting stomach muscles into shape (who ultimately stated that it wasn't going to work, and that the only thing that will help me now is surgery), and the PCT who has agreed to fund the surgery because my stomach muscles are completely out of shape, they're all wrong too?

O.....kay then.

Perhaps you would prefer I post a photograph of my stomach when I'm not holding it in to within an inch of my life, and see whether or not you agree then.

2 days ago, a stranger rubbed my "cute little baby belly" and asked me whether I'm having a boy or a girl. That pretty much says it all really.

edited to add : okay, ya know what? I don't care really. What the hell :

Spoiler:
    Show

there you go. That's what my stomach looks like when I'm not holding it in as tightly as I possibly can. Would you like a belly like that? Do you think other people would like to see my belly on the beach? Still feel like accusing me of having body dysmorphic disorder?
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    the style of the swimsuit is nice and pretty flattering, if you want one that makes your boobs look better you could probably find ones that are better for that but I would stick to the full swim suit rather than faffing around with a sarong that will probably be unflattering anyway.

edit: also I remember your old pictures and you look so great now!
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    hey, never saw this!

no i don't, then again i don't know if that is your natural size etc. but i def don't think they look flat!

but if it bothers you then try and get a padded bikini top or a halterneck one... OR bandeau.. not a triangle one... these just make you look smaller if you are unless you are average/large busted... if your issue is the suits just strapping you in too much then triangle should be fine.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    So I guess my GP is also wrong then in diagnosing my diastasis recti? The physiotherapist I worked with who also tried to help with getting stomach muscles into shape (who ultimately stated that it wasn't going to work, and that the only thing that will help me now is surgery), and the PCT who has agreed to fund the surgery because my stomach muscles are completely out of shape, they're all wrong too?

O.....kay then.

Perhaps you would prefer I post a photograph of my stomach when I'm not holding it in to within an inch of my life, and see whether or not you agree then.

2 days ago, a stranger rubbed my "cute little baby belly" and asked me whether I'm having a boy or a girl. That pretty much says it all really.

edited to add : okay, ya know what? I don't care really. What the hell :

Spoiler:
    Show

there you go. That's what my stomach looks like when I'm not holding it in as tightly as I possibly can. Would you like a belly like that? Do you think other people would like to see my belly on the beach? Still feel like accusing me of having body dysmorphic disorder?
    woh. I stand corrected. the photos you posted at the top just look like a normal everyday stomach to me.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SnoochToTheBooch)
    woh. I stand corrected. the photos you posted at the top just look like a normal everyday stomach to me.
    like I said, I was holding my stomach in. I don't make this stuff up you know.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey OP, I think the bikinis posted by Bellisma would be great on you, and would help to 'tuck your tummy in'. also you could get some sarongs for when you feel concious, they sell really pretty ones, try looking in accessorize.

I also agree with what someone else said, if you're concious about being flat chested, defo opt for the 'bandeau' style bikinis which I wish I could wear, but Im too big-chested for, but they look absolutely lovely on smaller chests.

Xx
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I recently started dressing more modest and feminine. But I don't know what to wear swimming. I only wear dresses/skirts, not pants, and I obviously can't swim in them, they'll float up. So what should I do?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think the first swimming costume looks pretty and is flattering. You could always try a tankini if a bikini is too hot.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 18, 2012
New on TSR

Exclusive Nick Clegg interview

Your questions answered by the deputy prime minister

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.