The Student Room Group

What is the size of the angle

particle n of mass 1 is moving at 5 m/s to the right (as shown in the image)
The line of collision is shown in the lower diagram.
If particle n moves in a plane perpendicular to the line of collision (after colliding) and particle He (mass 4) moves along the line of collision, what angle would both particles make with the line along which paritcle n was initially moving.

It seems from my book the answer is 45 degrees...is this true. If so why...if not how would I find it?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
i am not really sure what the question is asking

but, if the question i saying what i think it is saying ... the particles move perpendicular to each other after the collision ... if the question is really asking for a single angle that they both make with the original line then it would have to be 45 ... that is half of 90
Reply 2
Original post by TenOfThem
i am not really sure what the question is asking

but, if the question i saying what i think it is saying ... the particles move perpendicular to each other after the collision ... if the question is really asking for a single angle that they both make with the original line then it would have to be 45 ... that is half of 90

yes...why does it have to be 45 degrees (why not 30 and 60 degrees)?
Reply 3
Original post by ilovemath
yes...why does it have to be 45 degrees (why not 30 and 60 degrees)?

Because it says what angle does both make suggesting a single answer?
Reply 4
Original post by TenOfThem
Because it says what angle does both make suggesting a single answer?

oh right...so it could be another angle but the question (maybe my poor wording) indicates only 1 answer is possible hence it HAS to be 45 in this situation BUT could be other angles

Reply 5
Original post by ilovemath
oh right...so it could be another angle but the question (maybe my poor wording) indicates only 1 answer is possible hence it HAS to be 45 in this situation BUT could be other angles

Yeah

Without some relative velocities after collision ... I cannot see how to do any calculations so that is my thinking

Quick Reply

Latest