The Student Room Group

Nursing ( diploma or degree)

hey everyone , i am international student that studied psychology bsc at northumbria university and expecting a either 2.1 and 2.2 at the end of june this year but i am very confused what i want to do with my life. i have always been interested in helping others and this probably one of the main reason why i chosen psychology and maybe hoping the progress my further career as a psychologist. i have applied various postgraduate course in forensic psychology and only got one interview at surry university which is on the following thursday. Anyway i have realised it is so difficult to become a psychologist in no matter in forensic , health , clinic setting so i though becoming a nurse would be something match my personality as it is quite similar to what i do as a support worker anyway . i looked at different course, realise there are only one way for graduate to do if they want to become nurse which is diploma but i have been told it is being phrased out and it stopped anyone becoming senior management level as it doesn't include the management level like a degree in nursing . but i have few question since i am not british but i have been here for like 8 years now and hoping to get the british passport after living in for ten year so hopefully law still hasn't changed so would be great if anyone know about that. anyway is it possible for international student to get on a nursing course in here since most of them funded by nhs and is it silly to do another degree course. i feel like if i do that, the psychology degree would come into no use for my further and i don't want to stuck with a diploma degree in nursing as it is not going to help me to become senior level ,and does anyone what is the highest pay rate for nurse and how to progress to that level. sorry for the grammar and all the question .
The diploma in nursing is being phased out and all nurses that graduate from 2016 will have a degree. A lot of nurses still have a diploma and there are nurses that are still enrolled. What branch of nursing are you planning on doing as it is very different to being a support worker? There are similarities which will help you but the job is different. Lots of people can top up to a degree once finished, you either pay for it yourself or your workplace can sometimes pay for it. Im not completely sure about the funding as im not in england, but it might be if you have been resident for 3 or more years you get funded. To become a charge nurse say band 7, is through experience and more recent people have done masters etc. If you google rcn agenda for change or nhs band wages it will tell you how much. A newly qualified starts as a band 5
Reply 2
There is no longer a nursing diploma. It is all now degree. So if you were going this sep 2012, you would have no choice by do a degree.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest