The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Getting a job at Lancaster

I'm planning on moving to Lancaster in Autumn and I'm going over my budget. I am wondering how practical it would be to plan for a job as it seems Lancaster is out in the middle of nowhere.

How hard or easy is it to get a job as a student in Lancaster or Morecambe ?
Gonna subscribe to this thread, there's no way in hell that I can afford this (we don't get student loans in Jersey :frown:)
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Generally it's pretty easy to get into Lancaster so it's not impractical. Buses to town run every 10-20 minutes during the day (Sunday mornings are a bit more difficult, but better than they used to be). It's £2.30 for a return to town (takes about 20 mins but depends on route/traffic etc) - more expensive to get to Morecambe, but still on bus routes or you can get the train.

Finding a job itself may be a bit more difficult - I suppose if you're serious about finding a job you'll get one eventually. When I have looked previously, I didn't see many advertised - but lots of students do end up working somewhere in town (or even at uni). I imagine it might be easier if you already have a job - particularly in a retail chain as you could transfer stores etc.
Links between campus and the city centre are frequent, well used and pretty quick/easy. The idea of campus being out in the sticks is circulated by so many people, and yet it is completely false. Lancaster is about 3 miles to the city centre, although there are shops and even a supermarket less than half way into the city center. So many people commute onto campus - the servies are pretty darn good. From campus, you can get buses straight to Blackpool, Preston, Garstang, Morecambe, Lancaster etc. It is definitely well connected. :smile:

I worked in Morecambe. That cost me £4.30 at the time for a day ticket [or around £13 for a weekly ticket - would depend on how many shifts I was doing]. A lot of my friends worked during their degrees too. Jobs are around, if you hunt for them. I'd recommend the uni job shop, the government jobcentre plus and individual websites for the companies [especially the big national companies, like Sainsbury's]. If you don't find anything until you arrive, keep an eye open for adverts in shop/bar windows as there are often quite a few of those too. :smile:
Reply 4
Ahh, OK.

Is there a Sainsbury's near by? I work there at the moment and it might possible to get a transfer.:biggrin:
Original post by jordan.uni
Ahh, OK.

Is there a Sainsbury's near by? I work there at the moment and it might possible to get a transfer.:biggrin:

There are two.
One in the centre of Lancaster and one in Morecambe.
Reply 6
I have friends who have got transfers from various supermarkets, that is probably your best bet to get a job.
Reply 7
How much money can you get working as a student? For example in the supermarket.

P.S. I can afford myself to pay for accommodation max for the first year, then or I will be getting money somehow or ... the bad scenario. :smile:
Original post by kiradotee
How much money can you get working as a student? For example in the supermarket.

P.S. I can afford myself to pay for accommodation max for the first year, then or I will be getting money somehow or ... the bad scenario. :smile:

Depends how many hours you do. I did a basic of 12, which was something like £75 a week. But, a lot of the time I did overtime [up to 30 hours], in which case that could jump to around £180 a week. :smile:
Is there a Waitrose anywhere near Lancaster? I work there now :biggrin:
Reply 10
Getting a job in Lancaster can be quite difficult as it's only a smallish city - but keep checking the JobShop.

http://jobshop.lusu.co.uk/

You can only log in here once you've got a Purple card/LUSU number though!
Original post by Tiffany_Robin
Getting a job in Lancaster can be quite difficult as it's only a smallish city - but keep checking the JobShop.

http://jobshop.lusu.co.uk/

You can only log in here once you've got a Purple card/LUSU number though!

When do you get a purple card, is it after results come out or is it when you actually get to the uni?
You can get them on campus during freshers week, but I believe you can also sign up online.

http://card.lusu.co.uk/
You can sign up for them online now and pick it up when you get to uni, so if you're wanting to get a job sorted before you come here then I suggest looking on the job centre website!
Original post by jordan.uni
Ahh, OK.

Sainsbury's is the nearest supermarket... everyone on campus goes there fro shopping.

It's in town right next to the bus station. Try and get a transfer.. talk to your manager now cos i heard it can be tricky. i do know of a few final years that work there that have just left.
LUSU will be emailing everyone out their number once we have all the new students confirmed, so you'll be able to log onto the Jobshop as soon as you have it.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
On campus there are two shops ran by the students union

LUSU shop which sells lunch food, drinks, stationary, hoodies etc and LUSU Central which is basically a student run small supermarket

I work at them and apparently there will be jobs coming up in september/october. they'll be advertised on the jobshop, so freshers keep your eye on it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending