The Student Room Group

Not enough tariff points??????

Does anyone know if an applicant might still be accepted if they fall short a few tariff points with their results?? Will the uni take personal statement , interview and references into consideration ????
Yes of course. Don't panic too much about not having enough. You can always apply through clearing anyway.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 2
Last year I was ten points below what the uni asked of me. However when I looked they had changed my offer to unconditional a few days before results came out. I assume they had been given my grades by then :smile:
Original post by amorris
Does anyone know if an applicant might still be accepted if they fall short a few tariff points with their results?? Will the uni take personal statement , interview and references into consideration ????

It depends entirely on the university. When I was choosing between King's College London and Brighton for my firm for adult nursing, I rang up the admissions departments to ask if I would still get in if I fell slightly short of the grades/points they wanted (King's wanted A-level grades BBB and Brighton wanted 300 points from any combination of grades.)

King's said absolutely not, as they will have enough people who get the grades, as they give out more offers than places available, as they know not everybody will meet their offer. Brighton said they probably would let me in as they usually let people in who fall slightly short of their offers every year. I chose Brighton because they would be more lenient on me than King's.

Ring up the universities you've got offers from and ask them if you'd still be accepted if you fall short of points; it's the only way you'll know for sure.

Good luck with it :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Phew!!! Feeling a bit better after reading those posts, thanks. Doing exams at the moment and my Grandad has been taken seriously ill and can't focus on them at all. I know nursing is a such competitive course and just worried I might not reach tariff required for the course.
Thanksxxxx
Original post by amorris
Phew!!! Feeling a bit better after reading those posts, thanks. Doing exams at the moment and my Grandad has been taken seriously ill and can't focus on them at all. I know nursing is a such competitive course and just worried I might not reach tariff required for the course.
Thanksxxxx

Would it be possible in this case for you to apply for extenuating circumstances? I can't remember whether A levels have the 'fit to sit' rule, but you could always enquire about it.
Reply 6
Original post by amorris
Thanksxxxx

Tell your tutor asap. They should notify the exam boards as they may be more lenient. Your referee should also contact your unis as again, they may be more lenient - and it looks a lot better saying now than waiting to see if you missed your offer and then coming up with excuses.
Original post by amorris

Sorry to hear about your Grandad.

Got to say I was wondering the same, on how strict universities are with the Tariff Points. Looking at Sheffield Hallam. Does anyone know how strict Sheffield Hallam is for Adult Nursing?
Reply 8
Original post by Strictly Diva 68
Sorry to hear about your Grandad.

Got to say I was wondering the same, on how strict universities are with the Tariff Points. Looking at Sheffield Hallam. Does anyone know how strict Sheffield Hallam is for Adult Nursing?

It will vary between applicants, really. They're more likely to be more lenient with someone who had extenuating circumstances (hence why they need to know, and preferably in advance) or people with a strong application - so maybe those who had a good personal statement or did a lot of work experience.

They can't take everyone who miss their offers though.

Quick Reply

Latest