The Student Room Group

Do my GCSEs look bad for uni?

I really didn't take GCSEs seriously and I gained: 1A*, 2As, 3Bs, 2Cs and 1D
I also have a D in AS Music Technology.

However, since starting year 12 I've really been taking things a lot more seriously and predict myself As in my subjects: computing, maths, product design and business studies.

Do GCSEs really matter that much as I am really hoping to go to Imperial College / another top uni to study computer science and I really feel hopeless and that I've let myself down because of my GCSEs :frown:
In a word - no, not nearly as much as A levels. If you work really hard and get lots of UCAS points etc then you should be fine!
Reply 2
Original post by dying-divinity
I really didn't take GCSEs seriously and I gained: 1A*, 2As, 3Bs, 2Cs and 1D
I also have a D in AS Music Technology.

However, since starting year 12 I've really been taking things a lot more seriously and predict myself As in my subjects: computing, maths, product design and business studies.

Do GCSEs really matter that much as I am really hoping to go to Imperial College / another top uni to study computer science and I really feel hopeless and that I've let myself down because of my GCSEs :frown:

Yes your GCSEs aren't "above par" but they're still good.

For Imperial I would guess you need the whole package:

Good PS
Good reference
Good AS Grades
Good interview(If they do one?)

The thing with GCSEs is that you have already completed them and so Universities can actually see what you have attained already. However that goes for AS Levels as well, if you get 4 As at AS you will have a good chance.
Reply 3
Original post by harrietx123x
In a word - no, not nearly as much as A levels. If you work really hard and get lots of UCAS points etc then you should be fine!

Imperial don't really care about UCAS points.

It's all about the actual grades you get.
Reply 4
Considering you got an A* and a few A's, you have good GCSE's. Alright, you won't get into Oxbridge, but you're fine for anywhere else providing your A levels are good.
Reply 5
Not at all. They mostly look at grades for Maths and English at GCSE, but your A-levels are the main factor. Also, there are plenty of Universities out there you can apply for; you don't have to go to the best one in the UK - as long as you don't go to one in the bottom part of the league table and do a degree with good job prospects, you should be fine!
We had a talk form a university and they said GCSE's were only important if you want to go to oxbridge etc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending