Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Want to be a doctor

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
Interview Discussion 30-01-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hello.

I don't know if it’s too late for me to do anything or to receive any help. But I want to become a doctor. I have always wanted to become a doctor, but I came across many troubles and hardships during my younger years. I'm 20. I didn’t do very well in both my GCSE's and A-level years. However, I made it into a top London university, studying business.

But now I’m evaluating and analysing where my life is currently at and where it’s heading. I’m comparing it to my aspirations and dreams from my younger years and I feel saddened and unsatisfied that they don’t match up. I know some of you will say "should’ve tried harder and should’ve done this and that". But I’m not looking for a lecture. I understand the mistakes I made and situations I was put through, and I’m trying to turn my life into a life that I will be happy living.

I want to know whether it is too late for me to try and become a doctor. Money is not an issue, traveling is not an issue, and time is on my hands. I would like to know what paths and options are available and maybe how long they will each take.

Thanks
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    What if you finish your degree and you apply to Medicine at different unis?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CommonConfusion)
    Hello.

I don't know if it’s too late for me.....

I'm 20.

:goaway:
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    How about applying for medicine at graduat level.

Or if that fails, do some a levels again and apply again. Never too late, your only 20
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happyhands)
    :goaway:
    I said "I don't know", and it's true. I don't. Would I have to re do all my GCSE's, and A-Levels? Would universities even consider me if they see I didn't get a very good start?

I'm just asking for help, and advice, not rudeness.

Thanks for your input, but enjoy your night!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Faith01)
    What if you finish your degree and you apply to Medicine at different unis?
    (Original post by Joey Tribbiani)
    How about applying for medicine at graduat level.

Or if that fails, do some a levels again and apply again. Never too late, your only 20
    Thanks for replying.

What do you mean by applying at graduate level? Does this mean I should just try the whole UCAS process and see whether I get acccepted?

If I retake my a-levels, will universities see my bad GCSE results as a big negative and a reason for rejection?
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for replying.

What do you mean by applying at graduate level? Does this mean I should just try the whole UCAS process and see whether I get acccepted?

If I retake my a-levels, will universities see my bad GCSE results as a big negative and a reason for rejection?
    Yes graduate entry and that does involve the process of UCAS again I'm afraid. If you resit A levels I don't think they will see your bad a level grades but you can't just stop uni now, you have to finish your degree first. I think there's also premed people do, they accept lower grades but you do an extra year before you actually start Medicine.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Also I thought medicine didn't allow you to resit A levels?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    In order to give you the best advice more info would be required. What kind of GCSE grades did you get. Did you get at least 5 A*-C in sciences + english and maths. What A-levels did you do and what grades did you get. Do you think you could get atleast a 2.1 in your current degree? Which year are you in.

For now, all the general advice I can give is, get some work experience in a hospital or a gp to see whether you would like working in such an enviroment and check the different admissions test that uni's have for graduates such as UKCAT, GAMSAT etc.. Some med schools accept any degree as long as it is a 2.1 while others only accept a scientific degree. You need to visit their websites and check.
    Since you've said money is not an issue, I assume you are financially well off and can pay the graduate fees which are quite high. So have a look at these on the uni websites aswell.

Finally graduate entry is very competitive and you really need to make you research before applying. Give yourself plenty of time to revise for the admissions test as these are very important.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, it's never too late and secondly, you have a couple options:

1) Finish your degree and apply for graduate entry. Some medical schools welcome applications from people having completed non-science degrees. This route is very competitive.

You're probably unable to apply for the standard A100 courses because of your GCSE's or A-Levels. I'm not too sure regarding this matter, perhaps someone will more specific knowledge could shed some light on this.

2) I honestly think you're best bet is to go abroad - you said that money and travelling aren't issues (these are generally the reasons people are unable to go) I'd say look into medical schools in eastern europe: Bulgaria/Romania or Czech Republic. They're GMC approved and you could practice in the UK after your degree.

Whichever route you take it won't be easy, but by no means is it impossible. If you want it bad enough, you'll make it happen. And if it doesn't medicine isn't the be all end all.

All the best mate
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallenangel)
    medical schools in eastern europe: Bulgaria/Romania or Czech Republic. They're GMC approved and you could practice in the UK after your degree.
    I pretty much agree with everything you said. Just want to point out that foreign medical schools aren't so much approved as they are tolerated due to E.U. law (medical professionals from the E.U. can't be discriminated against).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think Medical Schools don't allow A Level and GCSE resits, not 100% sure, it's what I've heard

What were your A Level's and GCSE's?
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Faith01)
    Also I thought medicine didn't allow you to resit A levels?
    Most don't but there are a few which do.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    First things first, what sort of results do you have at GCSE & a-level and what are you predicted for your degree?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all for your replies. I'm very grateful.

To answer your common questions, I have 6 GCSEs. Incl Bs in Maths, science and English.

A levels were failed completely. U's. I wasn't able to attend half of the year but still took the exams. College refused to let me retake as they it would be too many exams in one year and that I would inevitably fail. I did argue my case but to no avail. I wasn't able to travel much during the following year, so moving to a different college wasn't an option.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all for your replies. I'm very grateful.

To answer your common questions, I have 6 GCSEs. Incl Bs in Maths, science and English.

A levels were failed completely. U's. I wasn't able to attend half of the year but still took the exams. College refused to let me retake as they it would be too many exams in one year and that I would inevitably fail. I did argue my case but to no avail. I wasn't able to travel much during the following year, so moving to a different college wasn't an option.
    I can't help you on this one but what university are you studying at and how did you get in, I'm curious lol
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    OP, I agree with what most people said about finishing your degree first. You have to show medical schools that you are determined and you finish whatever you start off!

As someone pointed out, it won't be easy but if you're willing, you can do it. Start looking at social entry requirements such as work experience that demonstrate the skills you need to become a doctor and start applying for such positions.

Best of luck
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Maybe a foundation course onto undergraduate Medicine I know Durham offers this it is called Gateway to Medicine the reason why I suggest this compared to graduate medicine is that I heard it is competitive and many who do it have done science based degrees yet this is just one option good luck
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    OP:
    I think you need to evaluate a couple of things before you opt to pursue your dream of being a doctor (a dream which I can honestly relate to, so I hope not to put you off in any way).

1) Do you want to spend another 4/5 years of your life studying, and then another 10 training to get to the position you want to be in?
    2) Do you remember enough A-level Chemistry and Biology to warrant applying for a 4 year course? 4 year courses are a hell of alot more demanding than five year courses and from what I've seen, they're designed around the assumption you have grasped some understanding of physiology/biochemistry etc. Of course, there are some 4 year courses who take on grads with non-science based degrees though. Do you feel as though you'd be more suited to a five year course?
    3) Your GCSEs and A-levels aren't spectacular, so you'd need an application that shines brightly in other areas. Can you do this? Can you get a 1st, get relevant work experience etc?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    You could do a foundation course, in that it generally tends to be a year longer than the standard medicine course. During this year the medical school will gear you up with all the knowledge you need, that includes chemistry and biology.

From what i've heard, graduates that apply need a minimum of 2:1.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: June 11, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.